1964 Daytona Hardtop Rescue Effort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Main Seal Replacement

Trying to get caught up on videos. Here is a video of replacing the rear main seal. Included in a comparison of the current Felpro rear main seal versus one from about 10 years ago.

Here is the link https://youtu.be/IwOBQ6F4Yg4 to the video on my YouTube channel.

I'm trying not to embed too many of the videos since it causes the thread to load so slow..................
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

New Video - Parts and Pieces for Engine Assembly

Another video - this one shows a lot of the parts and pieces for engine assembly, as well as finishing up the rear seal installation.

Here is the direct link to the video on my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/Zh349X-Drt4

Click image for larger version

Name:	00287 Edit_Capture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	1717758
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Wow! A 64 Daytona is one Studebaker model you rarely see in a private collection, let alone as a project (with the intent of getting it out and about)! I commend you for putting this much effort into this Stude, r1lark. May happy times be had!
        Jake Robinson Kaywell: Shoo-wops and doo-wops galore to the background of some fine Studes. I'm eager and ready to go!

1962 GT Hawk - "Daisy-Mae" - she came dressed to kill in etherial green with a charming turquoise inside. I'm hopelessly in love!

Comment

Thanks Jake. I enjoy working on them, but even more enjoy driving them. Plan is to take a trip in this one later in the spring to Arizona -- roadtrip!

Thanks for following this thread.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Checking Crankshaft End Play, Camshaft End Play, and Camshaft Gear Lash

Next video - checking the crankshaft end play (axial thrust clearance), camshaft end play, and the camshaft gear lash. Follow along and see an example of how this is done using just a magnetic base and dial indicator.

Click on this link to go to the video: https://youtu.be/AMCdHvOsqTY

Thanks to all of those who have been following along.
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Yep, following we are...
              Looks a bit like lining up a ships engine, only different size.
              sigpic

Josephine
              Champion V8
              4d sedan

Comment

New Studebaker Rescue Video - Setting the Crankshaft End Play

Next "Studebaker Rescue - 1964 Daytona" video is out -- setting the crankshaft end play. Removing the cam & gear, removing the crankshaft gear, shim removal, and putting it all back together. Included is an important note about the camshaft thrust plate bolts/washers.

Use this link to access the video on my channel on YouTube: https://youtu.be/Fz8V3k650AI

And, if you subscribe to my YouTube channel, you will get notifications each time a new video is published. Unlike the "big" guys like Roadkill, I don't make any money off these videos for two reasons. First, I don't have enough subscribers (would need about 1000 times as many to even think about it ). Second, the advertisements are turned off so y'all aren't bothered by them.

Thanks for watching, and please comment if you see something that is not right, or if you have a better way, or if you don't like them........or even if you do like them.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Replacing the Valve Stem Seals on the '64 Daytona

Next video is up - replacing the valve stem (or guide) seals on the 'Studebaker Rescue' 1964 Daytona. Note that we did these without removing the rocker stands and rocker shafts. The video shows how.

Link to Video #21 on YouTube: https://youtu.be/24tLmAC9mw4

Enjoy, and please post comments and/or questions.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

The valve seals you were using, did they fit snug on the valve guide? Seems these would be nice for more positive seal if they dont just ride up and down with the valve and no special machining of the guide to get others to work..

Name:	2018-01-07_12-19-20.jpg
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	1717837Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-07_12-19-27.jpg
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	1717838Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-01-07_12-23-13.jpg
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	1717839

Comment

No, they are still umbrella seals that fit around the valve stem. Supposedly they are the next step up as far as material, from the black 'stock' umbrella seals. The best umbrella seal would probably be the blue-colored Viton seals that Phil Harris sells. I'm using those on my '62 GT engine, but it's a rebuild as opposed to this 'reseal'.

I know that valve seals can be a controversial subject - umbrella versus positive seal, no machining of the guide versus machining, etc. Kinda like what oil filter is better . I use the umbrella-type seals in a stock engine.
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Studebaker Rescue - Oil Pan Installation

Oil pan installation, part one. Broke it up into two shorter videos.

I have never done this with the engine in the car, and honestly I don't think I'd attempt it except in an emergency.

Here is a link to the video on YouTube: https://youtu.be/E-QkiHLFvAU
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Studebaker Rescue - Finishing Up Oil Pan Install, and Starting Front Cover Install

Finishing up the oil pan installation (whew, thank goodness ) and starting on the front cover.

Link to video on my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/cZP2KqWpytw
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Paul, were you able to purchase those Special Silicone Valve Seals at your FLAPS?
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich, I ordered them from rockauto.com

I didn't check to see if they were available locally.
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Studebaker Rescue - Front Cover On & Painted!

Front cover is on, and the engine is painted!

Here is the link to the video of finishing up the front cover and getting ready for paint: https://youtu.be/wVcsHGeW4kc

And here are some pictures of painting it -- on the only semi-warm day in weeks!

Priming the engine and bellhousing:

Name:	DSC04648.jpg
Size:	154.1 KB
ID:	1719430Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04651.jpg
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	1719431

Painting done:

Name:	DSC04653.jpg
Size:	164.8 KB
ID:	1719432Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04652.jpg
Size:	165.1 KB
ID:	1719433Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04654.jpg
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	1719434
                                Paul
                                Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Working...
                                X