No announcement yet.

1964 Daytona Hardtop Rescue Effort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks Jessie, glad you are enjoying this. Obviously I'm not a "videographer", just a redneck with a video camera.

New dual exhaust from Parks Pipes will be showing up soon. That single exhaust with the 40 year old Thrush muffler has to go. But it's running and driving! Video update with the current status and a walk around soon.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

New Dual Exhaust and Core Plug Replacement

Time to install the new dual exhaust with the 'turbo' mufflers. While the exhaust is out, we will pull the block core ("freeze") plugs and clean the water jackets out.

If you want to watch the video full screen, go here: https://youtu.be/TsSnxNOZq_k

EDIT: The embedded video has been removed so this thread will load quicker. Please go to the link posted just above to view video #13.
      Last edited by r1lark; 12-31-2017, 06:59 PM. Reason: removed embedded video so thread will load quicker
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Those Blue, button pleated, all vinyl, Split Bench, Reclining Seats are SUPER Rare items.
        Shown on Video #12 at 029 to 049 Seconds.

That PATTERN was not used in '64 Daytonas that I know of, it is a '64 Cruiser Pattern also used on the BUCKET Seats of '65 Daytona Sports Sedans, not split bench but I can't think of any other application except '64 Cruiser, that could have used it.
        We know they did not originally come with the Car shown, because it had a Red Interior.

https://youtu.be/C6T3JOsFH04?t=42
        Last edited by StudeRich; 12-08-2017, 03:42 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

You have sharp eyes today Rich! That seat is in much better shape than the original bench seat, and much more comfortable. Current plan is to have it reupholstered, along with the back seat, in an original-style '64 Daytona pattern in red vinyl.

I have a NOS '64 red cloth/vinyl bucket seat interior for it, but not sure I want to convert the car to bucket seats.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

So Paul, did you part out a '64 Cruiser?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              So Paul, did you part out a '64 Cruiser?
              No, I bought that seat at the York PA swap meet about 15 years ago.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
                You have sharp eyes today Rich! That seat is in much better shape than the original bench seat, and much more comfortable. Current plan is to have it reupholstered, along with the back seat, in an original-style '64 Daytona pattern in red vinyl.

I have a NOS '64 red cloth/vinyl bucket seat interior for it, but not sure I want to convert the car to bucket seats.
                The seats look good. How about changing the door panels and dash to blue?
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

The split/reclining seat upholstery is just "ok", but I don't have a rear seat to match it.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Two Steps Backwards - Pulling the Engine Out

One step forward, then two large steps backwards.

While I was working on the new exhaust, I found that the threads on the exhaust manifold studs were in very poor shape - bad enough that on one stud, the nut would no longer tighten up. So, started soaking the studs with my favorite spray (Sili-Kroil), plus heated the heck out of the studs and manifold. Got the first one moving back and forth a little, so just kept working it back and forth and spraying it. But no luck, it snapped off. I hate drilling out broken exhaust studs laying under the car .

So, this video is showing pulling the engine out of the '64 Daytona to fix the broken exhaust manifold studs, replace the front and rear seals, clean the water jackets, replace the valve seals, and paint the engine. It would have had to come out soon or later........so it ended up being sooner. With no power anything, and a manual transmission, it's actually pretty easy to pull.

If you want to watch the video full screen, go here: https://youtu.be/PVS8ASlDYtc

Paul
                    Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

I had to go to youtube to se it full screen, wanna see this good!
                      & I'm happy to see someone else, like me, who's also working alone without a fancy workshop & such...
                      sigpic

Josephine
                      Champion V8
                      4d sedan

Comment

Nox, I have a workshop per se, but it's filled up with other Studebaker projects! But, I do like working outside - I actually prefer it. But when it snows, or rains, or is only 20 degrees F out, that kinda slows down the work. Like Friday & Saturday, in this pic:

Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Engine Work - Part 1

Really short video of engine on stand, and getting some parts off of it.

If you want to watch full screen, go here: https://youtu.be/uizHSah4C-c

EDIT: The embedded video has been removed so this thread will load quicker. Please go to the link posted just above to view video #15.
                          Last edited by r1lark; 12-31-2017, 07:00 PM. Reason: removed embedded video so thread will load quicker
                          Paul
                          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Post Holiday Engine Progress - Video #16

Happy New Year! With the Christmas Holidays finishing up, we are moving forward again on the engine from the '64 Daytona. There will be several videos in quick succession as we get the engine ready to reinstall.

This video shows the prep of the aluminum filler block, the installation of the oil filter adapter, and one method for putting a curvature in the front & rear cork pieces for the oil pan.

If you want to watch the video full screen, go here: https://youtu.be/8ep_0awx2r0

Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

OK, I have removed most of the embedded videos. Each one still has a link that takes you directly to the video on my YouTube channel. I got tired of the thread taking sooooooo long to load -- so figured if I was tired of it, everyone else probably has just given up looking at it.

Hope this makes it easier for everyone.
                              Paul
                              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Happy Happy Happy New Years Day - Oil Pan is On!!

Happy New Year's Day!

And a happy New Year's afternoon for me, because the oil pan is finally on the engine (proof below at end of post ). I'm not afraid to say that this was the most FRUSTRATING oil pan installation on a Stude V8 ever - at least for me. I don't know why, but had more trouble with the rear cap cork seal than I ever have had. It's a fairly new Felpro oil pan gasket set, and the length of the cork seal was the same as a NOS gasket set I have. But the width of the seal was too wide to fit into the groove in the rear main bearing cap. The 'side' that went into the groove was driven by the slight angles on the two ends of the cork seal. Tried for 45 minutes to get it in, using a thin putty knife. Finally turned it 90 degrees, re-cut the angles in the two ends, and it went right in place. I was within a minute or two of giving up and starting over, if the truth be known.

Interestingly, the NOS cork piece I have is square, but this Felpro piece was at least 3/32" (maybe 1/8") wider in one direction.

But it's in, and the seals are properly compressed (can tell by the Permatex #2 squeezing out). Bolts are snug+, and will let it sit until after supper and then torque the bolts.

I have never done this with the engine in the car, and for sure will never ever attempt that.

Picture proof (and video in a few days - there is a backlog of those due to the holidays):
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC04630.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1717744
                                Last edited by r1lark; 01-01-2018, 03:51 PM. Reason: Added info about video backlog
                                Paul
                                Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Working...
                                X