1964 Daytona Hardtop Rescue Effort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow week on the Daytona.

Fuel pump apart, cleaned up, ready to reassemble. Been continuing on the brake system, taking a lot longer than I thought it should. In the process of running the new brake lines. The master cylinder I was going to use had a slight 'catch' in it when the primary piston assembly was moved, and disassembly found some small corrosion spots that would not hone out. So, got another master cylinder today.

Having problems finding someone with the proper arbors to turn the rear brake drums. Went to a couple of 'old time' shops that I've used before, and they have either upgraded their brake drum lathe and it doesn't have the proper arbors, or they have 'new' personnel that don't understand these older design taper axle hub/drum assemblies. One shop said "Sure, we can do it, I'll just drive the studs out and slap that baby on our brake drum machine". Needless to say, I got out of there quickly.

Pulled the rear axle cover and took a look inside there. I'm no rear axle expert - I've swapped out entire rear axles, but never rebuilt a center section. Noticed something that may or may not be an issue, so sent a video to the Co-Operator Advisor (our own Bob Palma, who hopefully has recovered from his medical emergency at the International Meet) to get his take on it.

Still need to pull the axle shafts out and inspect/grease the wheel bearings and set the end play, as long as there are no issues with the center assembly. Then I can assemble the rear brakes, but can't complete them until I find a place to turn the drums.

Next step will be to change the engine oil and filter, pull the distributor, and put in the 'priming distributor' and circulate some oil to get ready for starting the engine. Oh yeah, and pull the valve covers and make sure I don't have any stuck valves.

Hopefully will have another video soon.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Your rear brakes provide 30-35% of your braking. Unless you have deep grooves or other rust other damage.... I'd just clean them up with 2 grades of paper, and install after bearing pack.

Comment

Ok, out of sequence, but I hesitated posting this video since it's sort of a how-to for removing the old front wheel bearing races, installing new races, packing the wheel bearings, and installing the inner bearing and seal. If you haven't wanted to tackle this job on your Studebaker because you weren't sure how to do it, follow along and hopefully you will pick up some tips that will help you. Video is attached at the end of this post, or if you want to go directly to YouTube and watch full screen, go here: https://youtu.be/lp8dMfO8KVA

Yeah, I know my video technique needs some improvement ........especially a way to 'hang' the camera so it's pointing down at the work being done, to keep me from blocking the view. I'm working on that, or at least trying to come up with an idea.

Most of the brake lines are made up and installed, along with the master cylinder. A roadblock is that I still have not found anyone local to Winston-Salem/Greensboro to turn the rear drums with the tapered hubs installed. Have asked on the NC Chapter Facebook page to see if anyone knows of a shop in NC that can do this. The newer machines apparently have too large an arbor diameter to go thru the hub........and shops that have the older machines with the smaller diameter arbor may not have the proper taper adapters to do this properly and/or personnel that know how to do this properly. GROAN................

EDIT: The embedded video has been removed so this thread will load quicker. Please go to this link to view video #3: https://youtu.be/lp8dMfO8KVA
        Last edited by r1lark; 12-31-2017, 06:51 PM. Reason: removed embedded video so thread will load quicker
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Junk in the Trunk.......1964 Daytona Rescue

Had to clean out the trunk to get to the fuel filler hose, so I can get the gas tank out. Decided to make a short video of what I found in the trunk. Not sure where all of this came from . Some of it's for this car, but other pieces I'm not sure.

If anyone knows what those Classic Enterprises pieces are for, please let me know.

For full screen capability, go here: https://youtu.be/-LWkc_idRSI

EDIT: The embedded video has been removed so this thread will load quicker. Please go to the link posted just above to view video #4.
          Last edited by r1lark; 12-31-2017, 06:51 PM. Reason: removed embedded video so thread loads quicker
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Fuel System Refurb

Getting closer to first start! Fuel system refurbishment is detailed on the video below. Gas tank cleaning/painting, fuel pump rebuild, carb inspection, converting the gas tank sender to a modern float, etc.

Link to the video (so you can watch full screen): https://youtu.be/EGRWBdQfS2w

Comments welcomed.

EDIT: The embedded video has been removed so this thread will load quicker. Please go to the link posted just above to view video #5.
            Last edited by r1lark; 12-31-2017, 06:52 PM. Reason: removed embedded video so thread loads quicker
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Studebaker Rescue - Priming the Oil System

Video shows the methods used to prime the oil system, to ensure that the internal components are well oiled prior to first start in 25+ years. Also reviews how to get the engine to the point of #1 cylinders firing so the distributor can be reinstalled and properly indexed.

Comments and questions are always welcomed. And consider subscribing so you don't miss any future videos.

Here is the link, so you can watch full screen: https://youtu.be/N1mkfolZpjQ

EDIT: The embedded video has been removed so this thread will load quicker. Please go to the link posted just above to view video #6.
              Last edited by r1lark; 12-31-2017, 06:52 PM. Reason: removed embedded video so thread loads quicker
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Great Videos, I watched several and do not remember which one briefly mentioned the Rebuilt Delco Window Distributor and showed it with a New Blue Rotor in it.
                It just seemed to say that "this came out of the Daytona", as if it belonged there.

It would be good to note that someone has put a '60 or '61 Lark Distributor in it, as all '62 to '64 Studes. Originally had the Prestolite Distributors.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  Great Videos, I watched several and do not remember which one briefly mentioned the Rebuilt Delco Window Distributor and showed it with a New Blue Rotor in it.
                  It just seemed to say that "this came out of the Daytona", as if it belonged there.

It would be good to note that someone has put a '60 or '61 Lark Distributor in it, as all '62 to '64 Studes. Originally had the Prestolite Distributors.
                  Rich is right on here - someone in the past replaced the original Prestolite with a Delco window distributor. It was in there when I got it, so it will be reused.
                  Paul
                  Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

THANKS PAUL!!! It has been a long time since I primed the engine when overhauling the 259 in my Lark. Now that I have another engine on my test stand, I'm at the point of needing to prime it. I have a spare Prestolite distributor laying on the stand right now. I will need to remove the gear & cam, etc. I think for the Lark's engine, I used a straight rod with a tang hammered flat to engage the oil pump. But, thankfully, I have misplaced that crude device. A distributor, as you show, will work with precision.

Your video serves to confirm what I already know, and remind me of what I forgot. In addition to "priming,"and getting the #1 cylinder set, it will aid in positioning the distributor for proper placement to not interfere (throttle linkage, vacuum advance, etc.) with its intended use as a Truck engine.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, you are welcome! The whole reason behind these videos is to help folks out that are doing the same thing, plus get comments from more experienced Studebaker folks on better ways to do something. Glad you found it useful.
                      Paul
                      Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

July 11. 2017 Update

Here is a short video update as of today, July 11. You can use the following link to go to YouTube and watch full screen: https://youtu.be/mrArtjIBKv8 or watch the embedded video at the bottom of this post.

EDIT: The embedded video has been removed so this thread will load quicker. Please go to the link posted just above to view video #7.

Here is a list of the work that has been done to date:
                        · Oiled cylinders
                        · Cleaned up and greased front suspension
                        · Replaced steering bellcrank center pin and bushings (incl o-ring upgrade)
                        · Replaced front motor mount insulators
                        · Turned front drums
                        · Replaced front wheel bearings and seals
                        · Replaced spindle nut with micro-adjuster kit and readjusted wheel bearings
                        · Rebuilt front brakes (new shoes, new wheel cylinders, drums turned)
                        · Rebuilt fuel pump with ethanol-resistant kit
                        · Replaced rear axle shaft bearing on drivers side, packed bearings, and set end play correctly
                        · Removed rear axle cover, drained fluid, performed visual inspection, cleaned cover, replaced with new gasket
                        · Replaced rear axle pinion seal
                        · Refilled rear axle with 80W-90 gear lube
                        · Disassembled rear brakes, replaced wheel cylinders with rebuilt set, cleaned shoes/drums, reassembled
                        · Replaced all three brake hoses
                        · Replaced all hard brake lines with new
                        · Replaced master cylinder
                        · Drained fuel tank
                        · Blew out fuel line and vacuum checked (passed)
                        · Installed new stoplight switch on master cylinder
                        · Bench bled master cylinder, painted, and installed
                        · Cleaned front seat so wife would sit in it and help with brake bleeding :-)
                        · Bled all brakes
                        · Readjusted brakes
                        · Drained oil
                        · Removed distributor
                        · Distributor refurb: removed points/condenser,vacuum advance, centrifugal weights; cleaned & painted; lubricated weights and replaced; verified vacuum advance ok at 15" Hg and replaced; installed new point/condenser set, new rotor, and new cap
                        · Set up 'priming' distributor using a disassembled Prestolite - replaced gear with a spacer
                        · Installed new oil filter and added oil to crankcase
                        · Drained and refilled transmission
                        · Removed gas tank, cleaned internally with acetone (excellent condition inside); wire-brushed entire outside; converted rust using Pickelex 20; painted with Zinc Cold Galvanizing spray and clearcoated
                        · Cleaned fuel sender using contact cleaner;checked ohms and was ok; installed new style float; reinstalled into gas tank with new cork gasket
                        · Removed oil pressure relief and spring, cleaned and polished valve with crocus cloth; reinstalled
                        · Replaced gas tank
                        · Made new seal where fuel filler hose goes thru trunk floor
                        · Replaced fuel line from gas tank to metal fuel line, including new clamps
                        · Rebuilt Carter fuel pump using 'Now & Then'kit CK-129
                        · Installed cleanable see-thru filter upstream of fuel pump, using new hoses and clamps
                        · Cleaned metal fuel line from pump to carb, and recoated
                        · Removed carb top cover and inspected inside ofcarb - very clean, float free, needle valve free; soaked accelerator pump in neatsfoot oil for 3 days; reinstalled top cover using a new gasket
                        · Temporarily installed mechanical oil pressure gauge under hood
                        · Primed oil system using a drill and 90 degree1/2 speed adapter on priming distributor until all rockers were oiling; rotated engine approximately 15 revolutions with oil pressure up
                        · Removed priming distributor, and installed refurbed Delco window distributor; set to have points just opening at timing mark
                        · Cleaned and gapped spark plugs
                        · Installed new set of spark plug wires
                        · Installed new Felpro rubber gaskets in valve covers, reinstalled, torqued 3 times per Shop Manual
                        · Oiled cylinders for a second time
                        · Installed used RobertShaw High Performance 160 degree thermostat and new gasket
                        · Installed new air filter
                        · Wire brushed belt grooves in pulleys
                        · Installed new fan belt and adjusted
                        · Installed different radiator (used}
                        · Reinstalled fan
                        · Installed new top and bottom radiator hoses
                        · Installed Gabriel 'Classic' gas shocks on rear
                        · Installed new battery (including proper battery hold down for Bob Palma)
                        · Installed battery disconnect on negative ground cable
                        · Installed fuel filter between fuel pump and carb inlet
                        · Disconnected heater hoses, removed nipples, and installed temporary plugs
                        · Temporarily wired start/run circuit to ignition switch
                        · Wired brake lights
                        · Temporarily installed electric temperature gauge under hood
                        · Filled cooling system with water, added water pump lubricant, and checked for leaks
                        · Added non-ethanol gas to tank and checked for leaks
                        · Vacuumed interior, installed center seat track support, and installed split reclining bench seat
                        Last edited by r1lark; 12-31-2017, 06:50 PM. Reason: removed embeddded video so thread will load quicker
                        Paul
                        Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                          1951 Champion Business Coupe
                          1951 Commander Starlight
                          1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                          1953 Champion Starlight
                          1953 Commander Starliner
                          1953 2R5
                          1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                          1957 Silver Hawk
                          1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                          1959 Silver Hawk
                          1961 Hawk
                          1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                          1963 Daytona Convertible
                          1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                          1965 Cruiser
                          1970 Avanti

Comment

Isn't it about time to twist the key?

Yes - hopefully this morning.
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Have a perfect front seat exactly like yours if interested

Comment

Originally posted by sidecar0_0 View Post
                                Have a perfect front seat exactly like yours if interested
                                Danny, I sent you a PM via this forum.
                                Paul
                                Winston-Salem, NC

Comment

Working...
                                X