Lark Ram Air

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lark Ram Air

Here is some pics of the cold air intake I just finished for my Lark. Everything is still in mock up form with dummy engine, etc. Thought you guys would get a kick out of this.Click image for larger version

Name:	2017042795155759.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	1753924Click image for larger version

Name:	2017040795133135.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1753925

Very nice!

Comment

Around here you would be getting dust and sand out from under the wheel wells.

Comment

ST2D -

Not sure of the year Lark...but the air is most likely coming from the front of the car, not the fender well.

Not sure how much actual "ram" effect you'll get. My 59 Lark with the stock ducting running from the front of the body to the interior isn't with much actual pressure.
        But, the incoming air will be MUCH cooler than under hood temperature air, which is a very good thing on it's own. It "may" even require a small tuning change to gain the most benefit from the cooler air.

Mike

Comment

Yeah 10-4 Mike mine is a 59 and I actually blocked the tunnels in the fenders directly behind the ducts for the air cleaner, considering that from that point on the fender well headers would have heated the incoming air.

Comment

Looks like a very good start!

Any idea what Year, Make and Model the Air Cleaner came from?
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yeah Rich its a 66-67 impala 327 275 hp air cleaner pretty sure same as 396 of that vintage. I chose this one because it will clear holley dual feed carbs.

Comment

Love it...and the headers too! Are the headers meant for a ChevyII/ early Nova? cheers, Junior
                sigpic
                1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Thanks Junior , The headers are made by Hedman they are designed to fit chevy S10s with sbc swaps. I had to modify the # 7 tube to clear the steering box, and did some minor trimming on the outer lip of front body mount .

Comment

I'm assuming that the air tunnels are very similar, or the same for the 59 & 60 larks. Which, with the modifications you have made, probably will give you a more steady air supply, absent turbulence from the radiator fan. Regardless, of whether or not you get any "Ram" effect, probably a "do no harm" modification that looks COOL!
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John C. -

See my comment, and lumpys answer..!

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Van Veghten View Post
                        John C. -

See my comment, and lumpys answer..!

Mike
                        Yeah Mike, I came late to the table & didn't read the entire thread close enough. I have a '60 259 Lark (Stock). So, I know how those air vent tunnels are constructed, and it looks like we are on the same page regarding performance.

To those unaware of those air vent tunnels, I can see how easy it would be to assume the air would be from the wheel wells.
                        John Clary
                        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys, i'm having a blast with this build because I simply just can't go buy catalog parts. Thinking about how to fabricate parts and use stuff that i have had laying around for a long time is very refreshing. So far engine is mocked up , trans crossmember is fabricated, clutch linkage is done, rear springs rebuilt with custom built traction bars. The 9" diff. is narrowed with new axles and a 4.11 posi. All this will be wrapped in an original paint, tahiti choral package…Hereby named "Project HALF BAKED"

Comment

"tahiti choral package"… Music to the ears.
                            KURTRUK
                            (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Howdy, here is what I did with my 60 Lark.
                              Mine was a heater delete car. Being from Florida, the original owner did not need a Climatizer.

So I added a Supercharger & did not want to draw air from under the hood.

Here is what I fabricated. Using the space normally being used by the Heater Core. I found a K&N rectangular filter to fill that space.

Then I look some aluminum and cut a baffle to fit between the filter and the opening going into the car. It was cut oval on one side, to fit the contour of the heater box.
                              I removed the on-off baffle so air is always on, flowing into the intake.
                              With the baffle I formed it so most of the air is being forced thru the filter. The rest is bypassed to feed the fresh-air hose to the passenger.

Using a hole saw, I cut a hole in the heater box, epoxied an exhaust pipe the diameter to fit the Supercharger intake hose. Since this was years ago, I can't remember the diameter of the pipe.

So now I have CLEAN cooler fresh air taken from the front of the car being forced into the Supercharger.

Another benefit is now the supercharger whine is duct-ed right into the interior. Who needs a radio !

Works great.

Keeping Studebaker's alive.
                              Stude-Preferred.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine Fresh air intake.JPG
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	1713509 Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine.jpg
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1713510
                              Last edited by Stude-Preferred; 07-04-2017, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X