Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1964 Daytona Convertible RED door panels needed

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 1964 Daytona Convertible RED door panels needed

    We are rebuilding a 1964 Convertible in our High School Shop class. The V8 brake upgrade is now complete, we had to replace a few brakelines, new glovebox is installed and lots of weatherstripping has been installed. We started looking at the door panels that we had with the car and the backer board is very warped. I had the owner locate some new backer board from Starlight but the vinyl is very brittle and broke away from the vinyl skin when we tried to remove it.

    At this point we are looking for new RED door panels or the vinyl skins for this convertible. Any leads would be appreciated.

    Allen
    Last edited by studebaker-R2-4-me; 04-26-2017, 07:11 PM.
    1964 GT Hawk
    PSMCDR 2014
    Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
    PSMCDR 2013
    Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

    Victoria, Canada

  • #2
    Hey Allen, I don't know what your budget is since it's a school project, but Rene Harger has reproduced those panels.

    Comment


    • #3
      Hi Allen,
      Does Will Sander over to Starlight have any NOS panels available?
      If he hasn't any red in stock maybe a white or tan set could be dyed to match the red?
      sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

      "There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
      Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
      "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

      Comment


      • #4
        Allen, has this convertible been listed on our Registry yet. What is the serial number.

        Stu Chapman

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by mbstude View Post
          Hey Allen, I don't know what your budget is since it's a school project, but Rene Harger has reproduced those panels.
          I will pass that info along to the owner.

          Originally posted by 57pack View Post
          Hi Allen,
          Does Will Sander over to Starlight have any NOS panels available?
          If he hasn't any red in stock maybe a white or tan set could be dyed to match the red?
          He says not. But who knows what is in that inventory.

          Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
          Allen, has this convertible been listed on our Registry yet. What is the serial number.

          Stu Chapman
          I think so, it's under Ken Pleasant as owner.
          1964 GT Hawk
          PSMCDR 2014
          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
          PSMCDR 2013
          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

          Victoria, Canada

          Comment


          • #6
            1964 Daytona Convertible RED door panels needed

            Stu, you have my car on your registry. It was built in Hamilton. The first of the Canadian '64 convertibles you have listed under the Canadian cars is shown being owned by Clancy (he sold it since to a guy in Manitoba). The second one you have listed is my car (Pleasance). Let me know if you need any more info.

            Ken Pleasance

            By the way, I am no longer the editor of VISTA.
            Last edited by Ken Pleasance; 04-28-2017, 11:02 PM. Reason: More information
            Ken Pleasance,
            Vancouver Island Chapter of the SDC

            Comment


            • #7
              I checked with Will and he said he did not have any NOS panels available for me. But he is supplying me with the cardboard foundations in case I can find the vinyl skins somewhere else. My wife may even take a crack at trying to reproduce them.

              I am not trying to create a trailer queen - just a nice driver. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

              I got an estimated price from Harger's website - I understand they do excellent work but the cost is a bit out of my league and I hope I can do something a little quicker than the time it would take for them to produce them.

              No offense intended. I have to draw the line somewhere on how much I put into this car.

              Ken Pleasance
              Ken Pleasance,
              Vancouver Island Chapter of the SDC

              Comment


              • #8
                Stu, here are the details as shown in the registry

                64SC2133
                Bordeaux Red/wh/red 09/11/63 Ham 6 cylinder, engine SCK328, body 2040, AT, 4.10, reclining bench seats, original 6 cylinder motor replaced with a 1963 model 6 cylinder motor

                Ken Pleasance
                North Saanich BC
                Ken Pleasance,
                Vancouver Island Chapter of the SDC

                Comment


                • #9
                  Allen, I'm sure you know this but just in case, I heat gun can sometimes temporarily soften that vinyl enough to get it to bend without cracking.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by nels View Post
                    Allen, I'm sure you know this but just in case, I heat gun can sometimes temporarily soften that vinyl enough to get it to bend without cracking.
                    I suggest using one of those non-contact infrared thermometers in conjunction with the heat gun. I have a couple of heat guns that are too powerful to guess about how much heat they are targeting. In fact, I think for how fragile some of our old Studebaker vinyl gets, I might even try a hair dryer first. I recall when the infrared thermometers first came out, they were very expensive. I used them, years ago, for testing industrial ovens curing paints & powder coatings. After the prices came down to around fifty bucks, I bought my own instead of having to check one out from my employer.

                    For Studebaker interior door panels... one of the weakest parts of the designs. Probably not any worse than other vehicles of their time, but because my targeted interest is mainly Studebaker, the one I notice most. Due to using only a tape type moisture protection between the inside & outside door panel access holes, and the tendency of owners to neglect the door drains, our upholstery panels are subject to moisture damage. Couple that with the vinyl shrinking with age (plasticizing), and few of them escape ageing without distortion and damage. Therefore, I try to be less critical of any Studebaker, restored or not, for having questionable interior door panels. Also, I understand when I see various homemade attempts owners make to deal with them.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

                    SDC member since 1975

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Bump. I've got a few guys looking in South Bend for door panels but no luck so far. Any leads would be appreciated.

                      Allen
                      1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                      PSMCDR 2013
                      Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

                      Victoria, Canada

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ken Pleasance View Post
                        I checked with Will and he said he did not have any NOS panels available for me. But he is supplying me with the cardboard foundations in case I can find the vinyl skins somewhere else. My wife may even take a crack at trying to reproduce them.

                        I am not trying to create a trailer queen - just a nice driver. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

                        I got an estimated price from Harger's website - I understand they do excellent work but the cost is a bit out of my league and I hope I can do something a little quicker than the time it would take for them to produce them.

                        No offense intended. I have to draw the line somewhere on how much I put into this car.

                        Ken Pleasance
                        Thanks Ken. Allen had confirmed it was your car and I had already found it.

                        Stu Chapman

                        - - - Updated - - -

                        Originally posted by studebaker-R2-4-me View Post
                        Bump. I've got a few guys looking in South Bend for door panels but no luck so far. Any leads would be appreciated.

                        Allen
                        Have you checked with Rene Harger in Tennessee?

                        Stu Chapman

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post

                          Have you checked with Rene Harger in Tennessee?

                          Stu Chapman
                          Yes Stu, Ken has looked into re-popped door panels from Rene and understandably they are quite dear for this particular car at this time. With that said, I have posted on the Swap page and the search continues for a couple of door panels for a hardtop or convertible

                          Allen

                          Allen
                          1964 GT Hawk
                          PSMCDR 2014
                          Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
                          PSMCDR 2013
                          Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

                          Victoria, Canada

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Here's a few ideas -

                            Brian Greenall (packardhawk58 on the forum) organised for a few sets of 1964 Daytona Hardtop/Convertible panel sets to be reproduced by SMC Auto Fabrics a couple of years ago. They were sent good used panels for patterns and some N.O.S. vinyl samples for matching colors. The set I got was absolutely perfect, but delivery time may be a problem for you.

                            We have also vinyl sprayed some new and used panels in the past with good results. Masking is tedious but if you can find skins without tears (and good Mylar) regardless of color this widens the search.

                            There was a fair quantity of N.O.S. door panel skins in the less popular colors in SB years ago (black & green I think...). We bought 4 of these for a customer who carefully cut apart a pair of door panel skins to cover his rear quarter panels. It involved hours of measuring and contemplating but he did a great job.

                            Chris.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X