Studebaker to SBC Intake Adapter Plates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker to SBC Intake Adapter Plates

I am going to make adapter plates toallow bolting a SBC intake manifold the Studebaker V8. I know I am off the deepend for starting another project but it is just a continuation and refinementof Jeff Rice's adapters on the Weber motor. Those adapters and the manifold areunique to each other and can only be used together. These new ones will allowmost any Chevy I intake to be trimmed down and bolted on. Jeff's parts areaccurate and both the same but no drawings were made. I took carefulmeasurements of them and had a friend at work create a 3Dmodel. I had the 3Dmodel printed in plastic and poof, instant adapter including threads. Here aresome photos of the plates with gaskets. The port /bolt alignment needs tweakeda few thousandths. If I can sell 10 sets I can sell them for $330.00 a set. Iplan to buy two sets myself and I can stand to sit on a couple of sets for awhile so I need to see what the real interest would be in them. I can drop theprice to $300.00 if I can sell twenty sets. The plates will be 5-axis CNCmachined and have stainless steel thread inserts for the GM side. I will doanother 3D prototype with the tweaks before going to metal. Lead time would beabout 8 weeks after I pace an order. Let me know your opinions, either way.

JK
    Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1508.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	1753910Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1510.jpg
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1753911Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1516.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	1753912Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1523.jpg
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1753913
    Last edited by 3x2stude; 04-24-2017, 09:51 PM. Reason: typo

Looks super.
    Wouldn't it be neat to be able to print them out of a heat resistant material and just put them on?
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I guess the driving thought behind this is the common availability of Chevy manifolds? I have never studied the difference between Chevy and Studebaker pieces. Will the thermostat housing area and distributor area just be cut off of the Chevy part?
      sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
      Searcy, Arkansas
      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
      1952 2R pickup

Comment

That looks pretty cool. My question is, will it fit under a C/K or Avanti hood. The manifold you are using looks a little high. It is nice to see folks working to give us options for our Studebaker engines. I'm assuming you will whack off the front cooling passage and the distributor hole....
        Jamie McLeod
        Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
        1958 Commander "Christine"
        1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
        1955 Commander Sedan
        1964 Champ
        1960 Lark

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
          Looks super.
          Wouldn't it be neat to be able to print them out of a heat resistant material and just put them on?
          This company is right around the corner from me...
          http://3dxindustries.com/

(not cheap )
          Dick Steinkamp
          Bellingham, WA

Comment

I have a manifold trimmed to remove the unneeded GM accessories. I started with a Weiand "Street Warrior" dual plane. It needs some TLC but I think it looks good for the rough cut. This is an example of one of the many opportunities there is to put a GM SBC on the Stude. I will be at the South Bend meet on Wednesday afternoon and all day Thursday, maybe Friday? Jeff Rice has been gracious enough to let me display the adapters and some other "unique" past projects of mine in his trailer. Hope to see you there.Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1570.jpg
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	1713412Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1572.jpg
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	1713413Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1573.jpg
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	1713414Click image for larger version

Name:	SANY1575.jpg
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	1713415

The idea is that there are many possibilities with the adapters.

JK

Comment

Lookin' good!
              See you at South Bend!
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

I took the adapter plates to South Bend for the internationalmeet. There was some additional interest in them. I have decided to lower theprice on them to $300.00 plus shipping for a set. This is based on payingmyself minimum wage to install the inserts, clean them and package with onlyadding a 3% mark-up. If I gave you my email address at the meet and it is not workingit may be that I gave you an incorrect address. PM me for the correct one. Letme know if this price reduction adds any interest. I would really like to haveall ten sets spoken for before I go to metal. So far, I have commitment for 4sets.
                I took measurements when I got home to compare the height ofthe adapted manifold to the stocker I came up with a difference of 2.375”higher elevation. This is based on a 4.50” tall SBC intake. 4.00”ers are outthere. I found a SBC tri-power from the 60s on EBay and it is only 2.50” tall,equating to only a 0.375” gain in elevation. There are some older manifolds outthere that are lower but not “as low” as stock.
                If you are looking for a straight bolt-on for a 53 - 55 C/Kthat will fit under the stock hood, be cheap and require no alterations…… thisis probably not for you.
                If you are willing to experiment with some differentcombinations it is possible to get it under a Hawk hood.
                If you are a serious racer or building a Stude powerednon-Stude hotrod and are not too concerned on hood modifications then these arefor you.

JK

Comment

PM sent.......1 set for me......
                  Jamie McLeod
                  Hope Mills, NC

1963 Lark "Ugly Betty"
                  1958 Commander "Christine"
                  1964 Wagonaire "Louise"
                  1955 Commander Sedan
                  1964 Champ
                  1960 Lark

Comment

Are you drilling them for early or late manifolds?, 86 up i think.
                    101st Airborne Div. 326 Engineers Ft Campbell Ky.

Comment

The plates are made for GEN I intakes, pre '86. There are more low intakes out there in the early intakes.

JK

Comment

PM sent.....I'm good for 1 set.
                        Wayne Elks

66 Phantom Champ
                        65 Cruiser
                        64 Champ
                        40 4-Dr Commander

Comment

I have 6 commitments for the adapters which includes 1 set for me. I also have 2 tentative as well. I am going to make one more sales pitch with the photo from the international meet doing my best Vanna White demo. I would like to have at least 8 of 10 spoken for. I'll go with only 6 sold if need be but it will cramp my hotrod budget. .
                          JKClick image for larger version

Name:	170503 - SDC Int.jpg
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1713676

Comment

Hmmm......hadn't thought about it, but the manifold adapters open up a whole plethora of blower manifold options.

And, I don't remember Vanna White having a mustache!
                            Last edited by r1lark; 05-16-2017, 01:25 PM.
                            Paul
                            Winston-Salem, NC
                            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Yep...opens many new posibilitys.
                              Just do go too large a runner.

I'm signed up for a set.

Mike

Comment

Working...
                              X