Door rubber difference?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door rubber difference?

Did Studebaker change the dimensions for the door rubber at some point?

In getting ready for the 1960 Lark's return trip to South Bend next month, I decided to replace the door front door rubber. It was the original and did not have much "give" to it anymore. Got two rolls of rubber and was only going to replace the back, top and dog leg - not too worried about the front. Did the passenger door and everything was fine. Had enough of that roll left over to cut the piece for the dog leg on the driver's side.

When I got the second roll to start the top, noticed it was a little different - so compared it to the short piece of excess from the first. It is not nearly as substantial. The door is already adjusted all the way in, and there is still a 1/4 inch gap between the closed door and the rubber on the curve just above the door handle.

ah... the woe's of the replacement door rubber. Unless the "runs" have changed...you'll find challenging door closure issues for some time.....and in different places around the door....GL

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
      ...you'll find challenging door closure issues for some time.....and in different places around the door....GL
      Closing the door is not going to be an issue - wind, water, dust getting in will be the problem now...

I might do what the previous owner did and wedge some coaxial cable in the grove to make that rubber at least contact the closed door...

Comment

The Pics are not very clear but it does not look to me like the "C" shaped Rubber used on'60 Larks.
        Your two rolls must not have came from the same supplier or batch, they should be the same. I would send the thin one or whichever one fits the worst back.

What Studebaker did or did not do, has nothing to do with your Aftermarket reproduction Weatherstrips.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Replacement weather striping must be a hit or miss item. My 62 GT came with a box of new weather striping in the trunk. Most of it fit very well but the piece that went around the passenger side vent window was too big and just doesn't fit right. I need to get another piece for that vent window.
          I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Look in the body parts book.I recall that there was upper and lower door rubber on some models.
            I am home now and do not have my books here.
            The vent rubber on the early C/K bodies carries a different part number than the GT Hawk vent window rubber and is slightly smaller as I recall but my memory is not that good.
            Your best bet is to all Ed or Jim at Studebaker International.
            They have outstanding customer service and are always ready to help.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Just for more clarification, the larger of the two is approximately 1.6 cm wide at the bottom (where it would glue into the body groove) and about 1.3 cm tall. The smaller one is 1.3 cm wide at the bottom and 1 cm tall. Hope that might help
              Last edited by 62champ; 04-17-2017, 05:40 PM.

Comment

62champ, I've noticed the same thing with this style of weatherstrip. The only way we would know for sure would be to get a copy of the drawing from the museum.
                Paul
                Winston-Salem, NC
                Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
                Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Where can I buy rubber without spending a small fortune. I looked I to the kits and it like 700.00 . I have a 61 4 door lark.

Comment

Originally posted by todd_wilkins View Post
                    Where can I buy rubber without spending a small fortune. I looked I to the kits and it like 700.00 . I have a 61 4 door lark.
                    Unfortunately, the market for repro Stude parts is much smaller than for Chevy or Ford. In general, only one vendor can take the risk to reproduce a Stude part, and then ends up as the supplier to the other vendors. As a result, most vendors end up charging about the same amount for a given part -- and there are no discount sources. You can often save some money by picking up individual items from people who have some left over -- but complete kits are usually only available from one of the bigger vendors. Given Studebaker's relatively low production, we are lucky to have ANYONE reproducing parts for our vehicles.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                    X