Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who is "Maygirl" and her friend and is this their '50 Champion? Interesting photo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is "Maygirl" and her friend and is this their '50 Champion? Interesting photo

Recently found this 1950 Studebaker coupe photo on ebay. Wondering if anyone might be able to recognize either of the girls. Some big clues one being the California plate "number" that is "R LOEWY." A unique old image with probably some interesting history behind it. Also struck by the very slender waist on the girl at right. Wonder if she still looks like that today....and same with the car? My bet the photo is at least 30+ years old so the girls are likely in their 50's now? Inquiring minds want to know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	50 ebay copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	1753832
    Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 04-08-2017, 03:41 AM.
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

I shared this photo with my wife. She says the hair styles are a dead giveaway for the 1970's decade. I trust her judgement in this regard much more than mine. The wristwatch Maygirl is wearing reminds her of a (rather expensive at the time) Seiko watch I gave her in the seventies.

Terrific photo! There could be a great "backstory," but knowing this crowd, the made up one could be much more entertaining.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

My fashion expert figures early-to-mid 80's...but like Mr. Clary, who am I to argue? lol Lets see, I'm in my 50's and, ahem, my waist isn't the same size as it was back in the days of this photo so I'm thinking the subject's waistline is subject to the same harshness of reality that most of us face. lol, cheers junior
      sigpic
      1954 C5 Hamilton car.

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
        My fashion expert figures early-to-mid 80's...but like Mr. Clary, who am I to argue? lol Lets see, I'm in my 50's and, ahem, my waist isn't the same size as it was back in the days of this photo so I'm thinking the subject's waistline is subject to the same harshness of reality that most of us face. lol, cheers junior
        Hairstyles are more early to mid eighties (at least here on the east coast). In reference to waistlines, see the quote in my signature line below...
        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Probably just a pic from the Maygirl clothing line....

https://www.facebook.com/pg/shopmayg...=page_internal
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Someone should at least recognize the plate on the bullet nose. There can only be one of these in each state. As far as fashion goes the hair styles and clothing my resident expert here agrees its early eighties.

Comment

This is proof old men still look at waists (g)
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

l don't know about you Bob, but l'm not wanting to look at mine, these days!
                Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Blue California plates make it in the 70's so max 47 years plus the age of girls maybe 67 years old.
                  Candbstudebakers
                  Castro Valley,
                  California

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                    Recently found this 1950 Studebaker coupe photo on ebay. Wondering if anyone might be able to recognize either of the girls. Some big clues one being the California plate "number" that is "R LOEWY." A unique old image with probably some interesting history behind it. Also struck by the very slender waist on the girl at right. Wonder if she still looks like that today....and same with the car? My bet the photo is at least 30+ years old so the girls are likely in their 50's now? Inquiring minds want to know.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]63362[/ATTACH]
                    Sounds like Richard is in LOVE ! ! ! ! Gotta crush goin here? Don't get me wrong.... I can see why.... but, really.... no interest in the glaring Studebaker content, just the girly girl. I'm impressed, Richard. You have good taste.
                    Jus ribbin ya, of course.
                    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
                      I'd have to agree with junior, here. Pat Benetar is all over that girl on the right, and the Wayfarer sunglasses really came into vogue in the 80s with Tom Cruise in Risky Business. So... I'd go with early to mid 80s as well.
                      sals54

Comment

Looks like Olivia Newton John's hairdo from Grease.

Comment

Someone who saw the photo said it was PLAYGIRL and not MAYGIRL on the shirt and after a close examination I am inclined to agree....and it makes more sense. As for Sals observations Yes, I find at certain times there are more important things in one's life than Studebakers.
                          Richard Quinn
                          Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I'm taken a back that Jeff is so "into" ladies fashions. Is there something going on in Brooklet GA that we should know?
                            Bill

Comment

Originally posted by Studebaker Wheel View Post
                              Someone who saw the photo said it was PLAYGIRL and not MAYGIRL on the shirt and after a close examination I am inclined to agree....and it makes more sense. As for Sals observations Yes, I find at certain times there are more important things in one's life than Studebakers.
                              Bang Zoom, Richard. Good call. No one can blame you on that one. thats fer sher.
                              sals54

Comment

Working...
                              X