Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Speedster & other 55s in local sale. Now updated!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedster & other 55s in local sale. Now updated!

Joe got a call from a lady who is about to sell her dad's estate. He was a craftsman and car guy and collected all sorts of things. Besides the various cars in the main garage near the house, he had 3 55 Studebakers, a boat and a dune buggy in a small building near a field. No one would have guessed the cars were there if they drove by.
    We made the 50 or so mile trip to the farm and looked them over. They are covered with dust and sitting on flat tires, but the Speedster and the 55 Champion are very complete. The other Commander is just a parts car that must have been a hot rod in the past. There were no lights in the building and we couldn't move anything so visibility was limited. The camera flash makes it look better. The floors of the cars looked good as far as we could tell. The auction part of the sale is April 22 near Hazen, Arkansas.
    BTW The Speedster is yellow and green, but the flash reflecting off the dust makes the green appear golden.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 52-fan; 04-22-2017, 06:07 PM. Reason: More info
    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Probably decent cars berore they were 'stored' (?)....What a mess!

Comment

Back around '75 or so, I almost bought a Speedster just like that in condition and all from what I can tell. Owner pulled it out of the barn and before I got there, a neighbor's field fire got away and burnt it up. At least I still had my money.
      Ron Dame
      '63 Champ

Comment

Looks like some kind of "Mud Flood" ruined the bottoms. This is not "Storage" this is destruction!
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Looks like some kind of "Mud Flood" ruined the bottoms. This is not "Storage" this is destruction!
          Funny thing is that, although we didn't expect much, the part of the floors we could see or tap on seemed solid. I would like to have dragged them out and looked underneath. Unfortunately, the dune buggy and the boat are in the way and they were waiting on an old friend of the lady's dad to move them.
          sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
            Probably decent cars berore they were 'stored' (?)....What a mess!
            I agree. Sure is a shame what happened to the Speedster.

3 years ago I looked at what was a nicely restored 1950 Champion, but it was stored in the north woods in a metal shed with a dirt floor, and plastic over the car. The bottom foot of the car was gone and the interior was so moldy you'd need to wear a gas mask. He did get $1000 for it though because luckily the chrome was still nice.

Comment

My guess would be that the frames of these cars are toast as those were not "flat" tires but some sort of water/mud came through deep enough to submerge at least the bottom of the frames. I've seen similar here in TX and believe me, the tin worm work very fast...

Comment

Only plus is it looks fairly complete so should be a lot of good one off parts still usable.

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyOne View Post
                  My guess would be that the frames of these cars are toast as those were not "flat" tires but some sort of water/mud came through deep enough to submerge at least the bottom of the frames. I've seen similar here in TX and believe me, the tin worm work very fast...
                  The frames may well be rusted. I wondered about that too. It was hard for us to figure out where the mud would have come from as the shed is on high ground. The tires are flat even though some of them are sunk into the dirt. We figured they were mostly parts cars and may not go back for the sale, but it would be a shame for the scrap dealer to get them.
                  sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

might make one out of the 2.... The blue one looks promising if the floors aint gone.

Comment

...makes one wonder about the definition "craftsman" ...... on a positive note: who's got a good frame for this car, Barry ??

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                        ...makes one wonder about the definition "craftsman"
                        If you had seen the large house and the other things he had built you wouldn't wonder. I think he passed away several years ago and the cars have been sitting untouched. We didn't pry into the details.
                        sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
                        1952 2R pickup

Comment

How do you sink the car halfway up the wheel....inside of a building?

Comment

Originally posted by Flipper View Post
                            How do you sink the car halfway up the wheel....inside of a building?
                            Exactly what my brother and I were discussing yesterday. I think they look worse in the pictures, but they have been sitting undisturbed for at least 8 years. We wondered if dust from plowing the surrounding fields had contributed or if the building somehow channeled water through during heavy rain. The building sits on higher ground than the surrounding fields.
                            sigpic

Searcy, Arkansas
                            1952 2R pickup

Comment

52-fan, if possible, would you please post the body & cowl numbers from the Speedster...Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X