Nice 1963 Avanti wrecked

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
    Reminds me of the driver that pulled too far forward at a stop light and then backed up too fast and crashed into my friend. My friends large truck was stopped dead still, but the other driver tried to say Marvin ran into her car. Fortunately, some people at a shop nearby saw the whole thing.
    Like the dog that bit me while I was running. A woman was walking it in the middle of the road and it lunged at me and bit me in the back of the thigh. When I stopped and confronted her she denied her dog had bitten me. I asked her how the hell did the teeth marks and blood get there if her dog had not done it?
    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
      Like the dog that bit me while I was running. A woman was walking it in the middle of the road and it lunged at me and bit me in the back of the thigh. When I stopped and confronted her she denied her dog had bitten me. I asked her how the hell did the teeth marks and blood get there if her dog had not done it?
      You no doubt 'panicked' the dog...Next time slow to a walk when encountering that situation....or better yet, cross the street when you see a dog/owner approaching!

Comment

Just bite the Dog!

Comment

I did that to my Husky. Finally made him realize who was boss. Completely different dog after that and behaved himself until his very last day. Read up on it & as the saying goes, "This hurt me a lot more than it hurt you." A nip on the ear & that was it.
          "Every man I meet on the street is superior to me in some respect, and from that I can learn."
          R.W. Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
            I've been driving my Studebakers with the headlights ON at all times, even during the daytime. Starting in 1990, vehicles sold new in Canada have required Daytime Running Lights by law, and now people are so accustomed to seeing vehicles with the lights on all the time, other drivers will take left turns immediately in front of you, either oncoming, or from a side street.

Craig
            These LEDs are pretty nice for the parking lights..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2X-High-Powe...FUsIdl&vxp=mtr

Super bright and a bit annoying even in the daytime because of the light frequency, but you will be noticed without having your headlights on..

They switch to amber when used in turn-signal mode..

You can wire the parking lights wire to the Acc post of the ignition switch and this way the light come on when you drive..

Comment

Originally posted by Greenstude View Post
              A very nice 1963 Avanti, R1630, was destroyed when rear-ended on Nova Scotia highway 101 in November 2016. (Body number 63R-Q773)

The car was the grand prize in the Keystone Chapter's annual raffle at the SDC International Meet in South Bend in 2002. Graham Gagné of Cook's Brook, Nova Scotia was the winner. (Graham was a founding member of the Atlantic Canada Chapter SDC in 1996, and has served as our editor ever since.)

Graham improved the car in many ways over the 12 years he and Katherine owned it. It was a very attractive beige colour. They drove it to many Chapter events.

In 2014, Graham sold the car as he has two other Studebakers. The new owner had long dreamed of owning an Avanti. Although aware of SDC and our Chapter, he chose not to join, so I do not have his name. He was seriously injured, having teeth knocked out and a broken leg. He credited the seat belt and roll bar with saving his life.
              - - - - - - -

The Avanti seemed to disappear into thin air, despite the efforts of some members of the Atlantic Canada Chapter SDC to find it.

Fast forward to Oct.23.2017 -- a member of the Chapter in Moncton, New Brunswick, received a phone call from a friend who is a car dealer in Amherst, Nova Scotia. The friend said he had been at the Copar Auction premises in Moncton, and saw "an old Studebaker like yours". By Oct.30.2017, the car had been bought, and delivered to the home of our member. He owns the only other 1963 Studebaker Avanti in our Chapter, a car with 150,000+ miles on it, and with a very tired engine.

Here are some pictures of the wreck:Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0032.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	1717006Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0044.jpg
Size:	130.2 KB
ID:	1717007Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0042.jpg
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1717008Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0048.jpg
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1717009Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0034.jpg
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	1717010
              Bill Jarvis

Comment

It looks like doubling up on the tail/stop lights did not save it.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

l usually drive my Studes with headlites ON. But friends following me have told me that my brake lites do not always seem to work when stopping the car.

The brake lites DO work, but the car is a manual 3-speed, and l drive it mostly moderately and use engine braking to begin my anticipated stops, so the brake lites only come on close to the end of my stopping point, and maybe not at all if my use of the brake is very light (a function of using the OEM-style pressure switch, l guess) .

l'm in trouble!!

Any tricks of the trade the anyone has out there besides re-wiring the brake lies to a GM-style lever switch? l would like to keep the car stock, but, upon reflection, l may have to modify this so it's safer?
                  Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
                  61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
                  Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
                  Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

I've used this style for both brake lights and clutch safety switches for years. I like the adjustability and ease of wiring but others may like different ones. This is off a Daihatsu but if you are interested I'll locate a spare and get you the brand and number. I like the all metal bodies as I've had a couple of the plastic one break apart.

Bob
                    Last edited by sweetolbob; 10-31-2017, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Go to ebay, type in-- low pressure brake light switch

Comment

If anybody has designs on repairing the Avanti, I have an NOS driver side rear quarter panel for sale

Comment

From those pics, there looks to be a good front bumper, padded dash, descent seats and possibly headliner.

Somebody needs to scavenge these parts and others off before they deteriorate further!

Comment

Originally posted by KOOL R2 View Post
                            If anybody has designs on repairing the Avanti, I have an NOS driver side rear quarter panel for sale
                            This car is non-repairable due to severe frame damage. It is now owned by a Club member who will be salvaging everything that can be saved.
                            Bill Jarvis

Comment

Bob, it looks like your Post #24 was HACKED!!
                              StudeRich
                              Second Generation Stude Driver,
                              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                                Bob, it looks like your Post #24 was HACKED!!
                                Thanks Rich, Just picked that picture off the net, so now it's deleted. Not sure how that happened but I posted one from Rock Auto that should be good. Bob

Comment

Working...
                                X