Can a body number.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a body number.....

....be matched up with a serial number? There is a '64 Daytona on Studebaker Attics being scraped....I have been told the body number is 220....is there a way to obtain the serial number for the registry?
    Lou Van Anne
    62 Champ
    64 R2 GT Hawk
    79 Avanti II

I doubt it. I believe the production orders are in hard copy and numerically organized by Serial No. If anyone went to the trouble of listing them all digitally with their corresponding body numbers one might be able to do a cross reference but, ...
    Just ask Bob Palma about the efforts expended to do a detailed list of '57 GH, or any of the other models he has sequestered.
    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by Lou Van Anne View Post
      ....be matched up with a serial number? There is a '64 Daytona on Studebaker Attics being scraped....I have been told the body number is 220....is there a way to obtain the serial number for the registry?
      The answer is yes. That's the good news.

The bad news is how long it would take. Unfortunately, I'd say it might take on the order of three or four hours, minimum, to look through blocks of 1964 V8 Serial Numbers, one car / one PO at a time, until you noticed Daytona hardtops with body numbers in that general vicinity.

Then you would have to look among several hundred POs in either direction, again, one PO at a time, to locate Body Number 220. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
      "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Is that body number generally close to any you have listed in the roster? That could narrow the search.

Comment

No, I don't have any body numbers listed.....
          Originally posted by qsanford View Post
          Is that body number generally close to any you have listed in the roster? That could narrow the search.
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

There are quite a few examples in your original '64 Daytona Hardtop roster post. Looks like an early August '63 production. Keep up the good work with the roster!

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
              The answer is yes. That's the good news.

The bad news is how long it would take. Unfortunately, I'd say it might take on the order of three or four hours, minimum, to look through blocks of 1964 V8 Serial Numbers, one car / one PO at a time, until you noticed Daytona hardtops with body numbers in that general vicinity.

Then you would have to look among several hundred POs in either direction, again, one PO at a time, to locate Body Number 220. BP
              You would have to check the 6 cyl. cars also but how many 6 cyl. hardtop were there?
              Candbstudebakers
              Castro Valley,
              California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                You would have to check the 6 cyl. cars also but how many 6 cyl. hardtop were there?
                Not really, Bob: For reasons I've never understood, they didn't make any 1964 Daytona Six hardtops, either in South Bend or Hamilton. Yes, they built 1964 Daytona Six 4-door sedans, Wagonaires, and convertibles in Hamilton, but no hardtops. Go figure; I can't! BP
                We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Hey, the seller contacted me and promised to get the serial number!
                  Lou Van Anne
                  62 Champ
                  64 R2 GT Hawk
                  79 Avanti II

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                    Not really, Bob: For reasons I've never understood, they didn't make any 1964 Daytona Six hardtops, either in South Bend or Hamilton. Yes, they built 1964 Daytona Six 4-door sedans, Wagonaires, and convertibles in Hamilton, but no hardtops. Go figure; I can't! BP
                    Really Bob, a Sporty, Race named "Daytona" Hardtop, complete with Crossed Racing Flags with a SIX?

I call that smart thinking, by not even going there!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
                    X