Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Restoration Shop near Washington DC needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoration Shop near Washington DC needed.

I would like recommendations on a restoration shop within say 100 miles (or so) of the Washington DC metro area. I need a new shop, as my Golden Hawk is going nowhere at the shop where it has been for the past 8 years. I am running out of time to enjoy this car, as I will turn 74 this August. Tomorrow I will visit Custom Restorations in Leola, PA. Anybody know of them? Nice website "customrestorations.net". Thanks.

Originally posted by paulbearson View Post
    I would like recommendations on a restoration shop within say 100 miles (or so) of the Washington DC metro area. I need a new shop, as my Golden Hawk is going nowhere at the shop where it has been for the past 8 years. I am running out of time to enjoy this car, as I will turn 74 this August. Tomorrow I will visit Custom Restorations in Leola, PA. Anybody know of them? Nice website "customrestorations.net". Thanks.
    Check with Jeff Bradel and Skip Lackie here on the forum. Skip lives in DC and Jeff lives just outside DC in Centreville VA, so either or both might know who to contact....or who to avoid! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Never heard of "Custom Restorations" but if you want a top notch shop in PA, look into Westmoreland Studebaker, in Blairsville (Craig Piper)
      64 GT Hawk (K7)
      1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Originally posted by 64V-K7 View Post
        Never heard of "Custom Restorations" but if you want a top notch shop in PA, look into Westmoreland Studebaker, in Blairsville (Craig Piper)
        http://westmorelandrestorations.com/.../About_Us.html
        It's been over 20 years, but I utilized Westmoreland Restorations and they did a fine job on restoring my rusty '63, within my "driver" requirements. But they have done many an AACA First as well. Further, I think they're good and nice folks.
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        (formerly Greenville, PA)
        Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
        Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
        1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
        1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Piper's is the way to go in your geographical locale...

Comment

OK, I have put a call into Westmoreland. I hope they will tell me they can start on my car in a reasonable amount of time. Thank you gentlemen, for the advice.

Comment

I'll second the motion on Westmoreland and Craig Piper, Paul. I don't know if you'd consider going that far from where you are (as if I even know how far that is!), but I don't think you'd ever find anyone with a bad word to say about Craig and his business....and specializing in Studebakers to boot. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Last time I talked to Craig and referred a contact to him he said it'd be a year before he could start on the project. In my opinion it is well worth the wait if you can be patient.
                sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
                  (as if I even know how far that is!), BP
                  In the vicinity of 200 miles from DC to Blairsville.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

This is Jeff Bradel. I do live near Washington DC but I also took my car to Craig and Westmoreland Restorations to have it painted. I highly recommend them. The big question is, as already mentioned, how soon can they start and how long will they need to finish it?

Jeff

Comment

Originally posted by studefan View Post
                      ...how soon can they start and how long will they need to finish it?
                      This often depends on the vehicle owner, and especially the level of restoration desired. Once Craig starts on a project he will bill monthly for progress achieved. As long as the bills get paid the project continues to be actively addressed.
                      Often folks believe they can assign a restoration to a shop and receive a bill when all is said and done; or pay a thousand or two every once in a while without expecting the project to be put aside.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I have visited a shop in Union Bridge MD named Vintage Restorations; I think it's run by John Tokar. Its website is www.vintagerestorationsltd.com.
                        I haven't personally had any restoration work done there, although John has secured unobtanium items for my vintage Land Rover in the past. Their website speaks of doing British car restorations, but I've seen plenty of US cars there, including I think, Skip Lackie's 1950s ppickup truck in the past.
                        Mike Auldridge
                        Gaithersburg, MD
                        301-651-4346
                        SDC Life Member since 1976
                        1948 M16
                        1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

Comment

Yes, Vintage Restorations did the paint (and a bit of rust repair) on my 3R6 and did a very nice job. I did not ask them to do any mechanical work, but they do that too. Although their focus is on British cars, they recently were working on a 55 Stude speedster and a 63 Impala convertible. Craig Piper does extraordinary work, but is usually backed up with work.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Check out WCD Garage near Boston. They do really good work. You can get more details from Dave Thiebeault
                            Lew Schucart
                            Editor, Avanti Magazine

Comment

The owner, Paul Rose is an Avanti guy. His shop has an excellent reputation for outstanding work. http://vintagemotorcarco.com/index.html
                              John
                              1963 Avanti R2
                              Marshall, VA

Comment

Working...
                              X