Great clock repair shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Great clock repair shop

. After recently purchasing my 57 Golden Hawk I was going through the systems to check what did and didn't work. The car hasn't been driven much in recent years. Surprising to me most systems worked except the clock. I removed it and tried to get it running by following many online recommendations but it failed to work for any length of time. Searching one night I found "The Clock Works" website in Eagle River WI. On the site I filled out the request service form and submitted it, within 30 minutes I received a reply. I was shocked how fast they got back to me since it was on the weekend. Long story short, I boxed up my clock, sent it Priority mail, it was fixed for for the rate of $79.95 plus I paid a $20 express service fee and it was back to me in no time. It was sent Monday and it was in Saturdays mail. Can't beat that!! I just installed it tonight and it works perfectly. I cant recommend them enough!! Jim O
    The website is www.clockwks.com
    Last edited by n29we; 03-28-2017, 03:35 PM.
    1963 Avanti R2
    1951 Champion Convertible
    1953 Commander
    1957 Golden Hawk

Wonder if they could fix the clock in my Wagonaire?
    Runs for five or six minutes while installed in the car. If I take it out and connect it to my little battery charger on my bench, it'll run for hours and never miss a tick!
    sigpic1957 Packard Clipper Country Sedan

"There's nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer"
    Lt. Col. Jimmy Doolittle
    "I have a great memory for forgetting things" Number 1 son, Lee Chan

Comment

Originally posted by 57pack View Post
      Wonder if they could fix the clock in my Wagonaire?
      Runs for five or six minutes while installed in the car. If I take it out and connect it to my little battery charger on my bench, it'll run for hours and never miss a tick!
      Sounds like the problem may not be the clock.
      Contrary to our misconception, these are not "electric" clocks; they are "electrically wound" clocks. Every five-six minutes the spring inside the clock loosens sufficiently to close a set of points that sends an electric charge to re-wind the spring. So they tick just like a real clock, which they are; and every five minutes or so you should be able to detect the sound of the points rewinding the spring. Perhaps your clock fuse is blown; or faulty connections are preventing it from getting the voltage it needs.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Sounds like a much needed Service for most ALL Stude. Clocks, I asked for an estimate.

Thanks for the referral James.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

They did a good job on two of mine.
          Lou Van Anne
          62 Champ
          64 R2 GT Hawk
          79 Avanti II

Comment

Those rewind contacts reminds me of a picture I saw in a welding shop in Watertown, SD back in the early 80's. There was a mid 50's Chevy blown up because the owner was carrying a tank of acetylene in the back seat, but the tank valve was leaking. During the night the concentration built up and when the clock rewound, the contacts sparked and blew up the car.

Comment

They are a good outfit and fast. Unless you drive the car frequently I would recommend you install an off and on switch. The winder does use enough electricity to run your battery down quicker than you would think.

Comment

One our own vendors repairs clocks and is very good at it.
                Brent Hagen.

Comment

I have also used The Clock Works and I am very pleased with their work, price, communication, and turn around time.

Comment

Originally posted by E. Davis View Post
                    They are a good outfit and fast. Unless you drive the car frequently I would recommend you install an off and on switch. The winder does use enough electricity to run your battery down quicker than you would think.
                    I agree. Last year I installed an NOS clock in my 50 Champion, and I don't drive it a lot, and didn't want to needlessly wear out a new clock, so I installed a toggle switch.

Comment

A few years ago I had a Jeep J20 and got a dash clock for it. I sent it to another supposed gauge and clock repair place. When I got it back down in the bottom of the box was a receipt from the Clock Works to the place I sent it. They doubled the price from what the Clock Works charged!!! It worked great but apparently competitors also use them.
                      Dan White
                      64 R1 GT
                      64 R2 GT
                      58 C Cab
                      57 Broadmoor (Marvin)

Comment

Last clock I did, I had to MAKE the parts to fix it. Good thing I was a jeweler years ago. RE: the spark, and points sticking is totally unnecessary . Put a diode in parallel with the power reversed biased to ground, and every time there is a back emf form the points closing, the voltage will be shunted to ground and there will be no spark.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

I too have had great services from Heide at Clock Works. They just returned my clock for my 63 GT Hawk. This is my 3rd Studebaker clock repair. They are fairly priced, repair and return quickly and offer a great service for value. I am happy to read other positives for this reliable company
                          Mark

Comment

After the experience of going through two repairs on the original clock movement in my 56J in less than 15 years, I decided to replace the original-style electro-mechanical movement in my 62 GT with a quartz movement. No "tick-tock" but no problems.

Here's what I got from Instrument Services, Machesney Park, IL:

"The price to quartz convert your clock is $130.00 + shipping. This includes us installing the quartz movement, cleaning up the case, polishing the lens (if the clock has one), and repainting the hands. The line time is approximately 4 weeks."
                            Bill L.
                            1962 GT Hawk

Comment

I prefer accurate clocks, so have sent several 56J clocks off for quartz conversion. The first two were sent to, "Ole Doc Clock" in NC, back in the late 1980s. About 10 years ago, I sent another one to clockwks, mentioned above. About eight years ago, I sent two to a place in Whitier, CA. The one in the blue & white 56J was done in the late 1980s by Ole Doc, and still keeps excellent time today. The one I sent to clockwks came back with the second hand visibly bent.

Comment

Working...
                              X