Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
    Kenny,
    I have NOS 374 block with fitted pistons. Unfortunately it is in FL.

I remember when those were going for $40 at, (I believe Hurwich Iron), back in 1971...

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
      I agree a Packard V8 would be interesting in an Avanti. But would also want to include a tasteful mod to the front grill, so as to get plenty of cooling air to the big motor. Something like this, painted body color would do the job. It would take a trained, keen eye to even notice it. [ATTACH=CONFIG]63118[/ATTACH]
      Oh my God!....Here we go with the 'GRILL THING' again!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
        Oh my God!....Here we go with the 'GRILL THING' again!!!!!!!
        Hell Ed, you're the one who started this mendacious thread! Where else did you think we'd take it?!

Comment

Wasn't the Packard name considered for the Avanti at one point?

Comment

Originally posted by qsanford View Post
            Wasn't the Packard name considered for the Avanti at one point?
            I believe that it was..but was ruled out for being 'too stodgy'(at that time anyway!)

Comment

As much as I love Packards I'm so glad the Avanti name was used !!! It was perfect !
              Love my Lark

Comment

Originally posted by 64studeavanti View Post
                Kenny,
                I have NOS 374 block with fitted pistons. Unfortunately it is in FL.
                PM sent to you
                1950 Commander Land Cruiser
                1951 Champion Business Coupe
                1951 Commander Starlight
                1952 Champion 2Dr. Sedan
                1953 Champion Starlight
                1953 Commander Starliner
                1953 2R5
                1956 Golden Hawk Jet Streak
                1957 Silver Hawk
                1957 3E5 Pick-Up
                1959 Silver Hawk
                1961 Hawk
                1962 Cruiser 4 speed
                1963 Daytona Convertible
                1964 Daytona R2 4 speed
                1965 Cruiser
                1970 Avanti

Comment

Re: post #7, Anyone remember the Hurst Hairy Oldsmobile? I believe they beat you to it.
                  Bill

Comment

I read somewhere that, for a time, Studebaker considered calling the Avanti a Pierce-Arrow, rather than a Studebaker. The price of an Avanti was in the Cadillac or Corvette range, so maybe that is why they considered resurrecting the Pierce-Arrow name. Of course, the purpose of the Avanti was to embellish the Studebaker name, so, eventually, sanity won out and they called it a Studebaker.
                    -Dwight FitzSimons, Editor, Greater Virginia Chapter-SDC

Comment

I've heard several times that S-P had 'hundreds' of new Packard V8's, of various cubic inch sizes, in stock at South Bend during the 'pre Lark' time period.

I always felt it was too bad S-P didn't have the $$$$$ to use these leftover Packard V8's in the limited production '58 Packard Hawk.

A Packard engine certainly would have put much more 'PACKARD' (not to mention POWER) into the 1958 'Packard' Hawk! (IMHO)

Comment

Follow up to my last post..............Has anyone ever seen/heard of a 1958 Packard Hawk which someone has INSTALLED a Packard V8 engine into????

The Packard-Packard swap MUST have been attempted at least once over the years!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          I've heard several times that S-P had 'hundreds' of new Packard V8's, of various cubic inch sizes, in stock at South Bend during the 'pre Lark' time period.

I always felt it was too bad S-P didn't have the $$$$$ to use these leftover Packard V8's in the limited production '58 Packard Hawk.

A Packard engine certainly would have put much more 'PACKARD' (not to mention POWER) into the 1958 'Packard' Hawk! (IMHO)
                          I saw a mid 60s Lark at the SDC Meet in PA a few years ago. Someone had done it very tastefully, and it did not look out of place at all. I agree, too bad they did not install a Packard V8 in the Packard Hawk. That woulda helped to identify them as true Packards instead of, "re-badged Studebakers".

Comment

Originally posted by JoeHall View Post
                            I saw a mid 60s Lark at the SDC Meet in PA a few years ago. Someone had done it very tastefully, and it did not look out of place at all. I agree, too bad they did not install a Packard V8 in the Packard Hawk. That woulda helped to identify them as true Packards instead of, "re-badged Studebakers".
                            All that would be required would be a Packard Hawk in average shape with a tired Stude engine, and a 56J 'parts car' with a decent (rebuildable) Packard engine and (HOPEFULLY) a T-85 transmission.

(I'm wondering about hood clearance, engine length issues?

Comment

And there's a '56J 'stick' parts car candidate on e-bay right now!!

Comment

Working...
                              X