Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Again, I've lived too long....oil filters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
    Jeff mentioned the companies owned now by Donaldson. Baldwin, and Hastings, and Purolator filters (all former Clarcor companies) were just purchased by Donaldson filters.
    I have used Donaldson for years in my industrial and military gas & diesels, gen sets etc and they are of very high quality.
    Bob, If you check the Napa Gold and Wix numbers they are identical, with I believe, a "one" for a prefix.
    Cheers, Bill
    My brother use to work in the test room for Purolator. They would pull a filter off the line and test it for burst pressure, contaminant entrapment etc. They made filters for various heavy equipment manufactures, I believe Caterpillar being one of them. He said the expectations of the manufacturers were difficult to meet. And he didn't mean that as a knock on Purolator but rather the stringent expectation of the heavy equipment manufacturer. Thus, Purolator being acceptable for a machine costing many hundreds of thousand of dollars, you would like to think they made decent everyday auto filters too. They moved the facility south (but not "of the border") and my brother lost his job. While he wasn't happy with the company itself, he still said it was a good product.

That was 25 years ago and who knows how anything is made today.
    '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Bob Fram = $2.81 Hastings = $3.80 Wix = $4.01 at Rock Auto But then there is postage and you gotta wait a week.

Comment

Hey, Bob, have you checked prices on choke pulloffs recently? It took me a couple of weeks to get one for my 66 Cruiser (Rochester 2GV) and the price was...well..BAD.
        "Madness...is the exception in individuals, but the rule in groups" - Nietzsche.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
          Hey, Bob, have you checked prices on choke pulloffs recently? It took me a couple of weeks to get one for my 66 Cruiser (Rochester 2GV) and the price was...well..BAD.
          No, I haven't, but I am going to check the one on Bill's Cruiser in the course of looking it over. I hope it's good if that is the situation! BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I put a Trans-Dapt brand adapter on our '65 Wagonaire around 1985. We had two of the cartridge filters left and a high school friend had a '65 Malibu SS with a 283 so I gave them to him.

Comment

I find my time is usually worth more than driving all over town to check all the different parts stores (and still not finding the part, quite often) than the higher ordering cost justifies. Just sayin'...

Comment

Bob (and the rest of you) just go to OReillys website and type in part #121G

Should solve your filter problem and the living too long problem...
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Don't throw out those old GM filter canisters. They are going for $20+ on Ebay. And most of those are pretty groady. Clean it up and you might get $30+ for them. I saved the one off my McKinnon. Some day I'll come across a C2 Corvette purist who will offer a King's Ransom ... (slap face to wake self from dream).
                  '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Working...
                  X