Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Again, I've lived too long....oil filters!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again, I've lived too long....oil filters!

How many Chevrolet V8s, 265s through 409s, do you suppose they made from 1958 through 1967; ten model years, plus the two years they supplied Studebaker with V8s in 1965 and 1966? They all used the same drop-in oil filter cartridge serviced from under the car; Fram CH200PL or equivalent. (1955 V8s had a canister filter up top and 1956-1957 V8s used a different number from below, although the design is the same.)

So Bill Pressler's "new" Timberline Turquoise 1966 Cruiser is resting comfortably in my storage building awaiting its trip to Kent OH, now scheduled for Monday, April 17. Photographed in the best United Press International Wagonaire elevation tradition: (There is a clean, freshly-laundered orange drop cloth on half the front seat lest I soil the gorgeous upholstery and Bill refuses the car! )

Income taxes being done, I told Bill I had time to service it (lube-oil-filter) and generally check it over if he wanted me to, before we put it back on the trailer for the trip east. He jumped at the chance, so I'll be doing that presently.

'Thought I'd stop at Auto Zone this evening and pick up a fresh oil filter for it. WRONG! Not only do they no longer stock that filter, they would have had to special order it to arrive the next day, and it was priced at $11.99 for the STP Oil Filter equivalent number! Yes, $11.99 for one of those flimsy things that can't cost half as much to manufacture as today's "modern" steel-can spin-on filters that sell for $3.99 in generic brands like STP! Ridiculous. I'll go to NAPA tomorrow, or may check O'Reilly's.

'Time was, that was one of the most common numbers, if not the most common number, oil filter stocked by everyone...as I said, how many million Chevrolet V8s used that filter in the ten model years from 1958 through 1967...and, now, it's a special-order part with a day's wait? Unbelievable. (The car came to me/Bill with two NOS generic oil filters in the trunk, but they were manufactured so long ago and the boxes are so dry and brittle that I told Bill I wouldn't use them for fear the filter media would disintegrate as soon as it was placed in service. He concurred.)

If I hadn't experienced this, I would not have believed the un-availability or obscene price...but then again, Auto Zone had to special-order the ordinary, basic Cloyes timing chain and sprocket set for that 1971 318 Barracuda several years ago...and how many million MoPar small-blocks used that very timing set through the years?

Again, some of us may have lived too long... BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
    "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Did the counterperson have a perplexed look on their face when you said you needed an oil filter for a "Studebaker"?
    sigpic
    In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

I am sure Bob would say it is for a '67 Impala. That way you avoid the Deer in the headlights look!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        I am sure Bob would say it is for a '67 Impala. That way you avoid the Deer in the headlights look!
        That's right, Rich; I avoided the "S" word! BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Originally posted by BobPalma View Post
          That's right, Rich; I avoided the "S" word! BP

LOL!!!!!!!!!
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          (formerly Greenville, PA)
          Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
          Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
          1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
          1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Bob There is two new oil filters for the 66 in the trunk. The one installed when I sold it is the same kind of filter. I've used these filters in 3 different 283's with no problem. The oil and the filter in the engine have less than 200 miles on them.
            Last edited by joncon; 03-28-2017, 05:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by joncon View Post
              Bob: There are two new oil filters for the 66 in the trunk. The one installed when I sold it is the same kind of filter. I've used these filters in 3 different 283's with no problem. The oil and the filter in the engine have less than 200 miles on them.
              Thanks, John.

I told Bill the oil looked very clean, but he said he'd like me to change it anyway so he knows exactly when it was done as to time and miles, and to give me an incentive to roll around underneath the car and look it over.

'Nice to have it; I know Bill's preferences for rolling stock and I know he'll enjoy owning it...in fact, he already is enjoying owning it and he hasn't even seen it yet! Thanks again. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

:'Time was, that was one of the most common numbers, if not the most common number, oil filter stocked by everyone...as I said, how many million Chevrolet V8s used that filter in the ten model years from 1958 through 1967...and, now, it's a special-order part with a day's wait? Unbelievable. (The car came to me/Bill with two NOS generic oil filters in the trunk, but they were manufactured so long ago and the boxes are so dry and brittle that I told Bill I wouldn't use them for fear the filter media would disintegrate as soon as it was placed in service. He concurred.)
                I can't figure it out, either, Bob.

When one attends car shows, one can only conclude there MUST be at least a million of them licenced and still on the road!!

Craig
                Last edited by 8E45E; 03-28-2017, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Rock Auto lists a plethora of them for under $4 so it's a volume/convenience issue with the local folks. Bob

Comment

Just for curiosity, I logged in to the local O'Reilly where my brother works. They have a Wix version of that filter in stock for a bit over $7.00.
                    Like you said, it is a common filter, but no store keeps stock on hand like they used to. If a part sits on the shelf for more than a few weeks it has to go back to the warehouse.
                    "In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Nice lookin' Cruiser! Good pick Bill.
                      Mark Hayden
                      '66 Commander
                      Zone Coordinator
                      Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Bob,
                        That is exactly why I stock boxes of Chev & B.O.P.(also fits Studebaker) oil filters in my shop. Although I don't live in town, I still do not have to deal with the "deer in the headlamps" scenario. Note that out of B.O.P.(and of course Studebaker), Buick is the only survivor and not that filter number.
                        We have all become dinosaurs.
                        Bill

Comment

Again, some of us may have lived too long... BP
                          The truth is that you haven't lived too long, but you have outlived these cars/engines. As a CASO I was a monthly attendee of the 50% off sales at Pick Your Part. The past year or so the Chrysler car section (for example) has been void of any Mopar LA engine (273/318/340/360). Everything is V6, FWD powered. So, yes they made MILLIONS of the V8's, but most are not still on the road thus the 'not in stock' timing set. BTW, the filter for the Barracuda should be easier to find. Ford and Mopar used the same PH8A or the shorter PH43.

Regarding the 65 Studebaker filter. There is an adapter available to convert to a standard spin on filter. Back in 2010 I actually found one on a 67 Impala at PYP, $3 out the door. Otherwise I believe they are in the $20-$25 range. Probably pays for itself after a few changes. And for the simplicity It might be considered paid in the first use!
                          '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                            Just for curiosity, I logged in to the local O'Reilly where my brother works. They have a Wix version of that filter in stock for a bit over $7.00.
                            Like you said, it is a common filter, but no store keeps stock on hand like they used to. If a part sits on the shelf for more than a few weeks it has to go back to the warehouse.
                            Right, Howard; thanks.

I checked our local O'Reilly's and they do stock it in the WIX line; the guy had one there on the shelf. $8.55 with tax.

I got a NAPA premium GOLD at our local NAPA store, also in stock, for $7.46. BP

Ayn Rand:

Comment

Too bad Jeff has retired from Fram, bet he'd been able to get you all you wanted for a real good price. LOL Bill.

Comment

Working...
                              X