Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stude dealer in Tangier, Morocco (calling Mr. Quinn)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely fascinating. Not only this story, but the shared experience this forum provides for any Studebaker enthusiast. Throughout history, we learn of various places where "trade routes" would develop, thrive for a time, and decline. Many were foot paths, where mode of travel, and geography formed "intersections" where classes & cultures met and communicated. There, the natural result of such intersections, was an exchange in knowledge, culture, and commerce. Very often, advances in technology obsoleted these geographical intersections.

So, here we are, using this amazing computer technology. Instant worldwide communication. A global "intersection!" In the scheme of interest groups, us Studebaker fans are like a raindrop in the ocean. Within our interest circle, participants on this forum are even a smaller group. Here, we have not only learned about some nearly lost rare Studebaker parts, but years of struggle to save them, along with some associated international intrigue.

But yet, we have the privilege of backyard shade tree tinkerers (like me), having the ability to meet, exchange information/ideas, with folks in the stratosphere of our hobby!
    HOW COOL IS THAT?!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Probably 10 years ago a local SDC member who was originally from Columbia and traveled to Bogota frequently told me of a business in Bogota who had a sizeable stock of Studebaker parts including a lot of sheet metal (no he wasn't a drug dealer). I posted the Bogota contact info either on the Forum or more likely on the old newsgroup. I don't know whether any US vendor worked out anything in obtaining the stock or not. I still have the contact info though the business website is no longer up.
      Our Columbian SDC member dropped out several years ago so I don't know whether I can reach him or not.
      Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
      '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Originally posted by 53k View Post
        I posted the Bogota contact info either on the Forum or more likely on the old newsgroup.
        http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ip-in-Colombia

Craig

Comment

Thanks for retrieving the old thread. My memory isn't very good (and it's getting worse).
          Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
          '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Hi Barry,
            you made an interesting point on the language being Spanish.

Since the typing pool in South Bend probably didn't have an Arabic typewriter or someone that even spoke the native language tongue used in Morocco, they probably just went for the other language that Mr Hassan probably spoke - Spanish.

See you in South Bend to blow the froth off a few.

Regards
            Greg
            Greg Diffen

Editor Studebaker Owners Club UK magazine

Australian Stude guy living in Warwick, United Kingdom

1933 St Regis Brougham Model 56 delivered new in the Netherlands
            1937 Dictator sedan Australian Body by TJ Richards RHC
            1937 Packard Super 8 Limousine UK delivered RHC
            1939 Packard Super 8 Seven Passenger sedan monster UK delivered RHC
            1939 Commander Cabriolet by Lagenthal of Switzerland
            1963 Lark Daytona Hardtop
            1988 Avanti Convertible