No announcement yet.

Looking for carburetor alternatives for a '61 Lark with OHV 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is really scary is that list of Carter Model AS's that they SAY interchange to theirs! NOT!

I admit they will replace each other, but you don't want to go from an "AS" to a "RBS", EVER!
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Rich, what is the specific problem with the RBS, and can it be fixed? I know one I dealt with, the main jet basically fell out of the casting. I have an RBS on the OHV six in this '60 Lark I have here in Arizona, and it actually starts and runs pretty well. The OHV six is one I put together from parts, and is a replacement for a previous -owner engine swap, that seized up.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Just one of the issues is the Chokes refuse to work, they lean out, sputter, cough and die when cold. Maybe you need to take it home where it is COLD !

Another is, they do not seem to take to being rebuilt, are very cheaply made and seem to be made to be disposable.
        StudeRich

Comment

go with #6. Pay 1 time....get r done...

Comment

I have a NOS in the box Studebaker 1555174, Carter AS-3370S for less than the carb in post #13.

Also a NOS Studebaker 1560579, Carter RBS-3653S, if you want to go that route.

Send a PM if interested (have only 1 left).
            Last edited by dpson; 03-27-2017, 07:04 AM.
            Dan Peterson
            Montpelier, VT
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
            1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

What is the difference between PCV and no PVC? Jetting, or the port, or both?

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
              I am sure the '61 and '62 are both better than the '59-'60, just don't think it matters which version as long as it is Post 1960.

I always go with the latest and greatest year I can find of ANY Studebaker Part that FITS my application!

Here is what Carter Carbs. you are looking for:

'61S 1551523 = AS-3159S -exc. Y1 less governor *

'61S 1551522 = AS-3161S -exc. Y1 less governor #

'62S 1551174 = AS-3370S -exc. Y1 less governor *

'62S 1555176 = AS-3372S -exc. Y1 less governor #

'61-'64S 1552433 = AS-3372S - Y1 less governor # (Taxi)

(*) = Without PCV System

(#) = With PCV System (= With provision for PCV Valve & hose in lower mounting Base)
              Ron Dame
              '63 Champ

Comment

As far as I know, the bottom casting with the Port would be all.
                If you really want to know, look up all of the internal Parts between the Two and compare them.
                StudeRich

Comment

Originally posted by dpson View Post
                  I have a NOS in the box Studebaker 1555174, Carter AS-3370S for less than the carb in post #13.

Also a NOS Studebaker 1560579, Carter RBS-3653S, if you want to go that route.

Send a PM if interested (have only 1 left).
                  PM sent. Thanks,

Pete

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                  What is really scary is that list of Carter Model AS's that they SAY interchange to theirs! NOT!

I admit they will replace each other, but you don't want to go from an "AS" to a "RBS", EVER!
                  Good to know, thanks for the info.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                  X