1950 COMMANDER convertible on eBay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1950 COMMANDER convertible on eBay

This is the first 1950 Commander convertible I've seen offered for sale in recent years, apart from one piece of yard art on Pittsburgh Craigslist. Seems reasonable enough in price, especially if one made an offer. I have no connection with the seller.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/152483720550?ul_noapp=true

I'd prefer no spot light, but what a great looking car.
    Can't be more than a few left of this model I'd guess.

Comment

What accessories are missing? This is a perfect example of paint and chrome - and accessories.

Too bad the engine compartment did not get the same attention as the exterior.

It also has the back window mounted on a separate flap that I seem to harp about so/too often. Seeing that incorrect window treatment on an expensive restoration will make others think that's the way to do theirs.

Overall, it's a pretty good looker, though.

Are our cars worth that much nowadays?
      Last edited by RadioRoy; 03-24-2017, 11:41 AM.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
      10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
      56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
      60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
        Are our cars worth that much nowadays?
        If they're in that kind of condition, they might be worth that much. A '50 Commander convertible is a good deal rarer than a '50 Champion convertible. (I know; I've been on the lookout. Can't afford this one, though, and I prefer a manual transmission anyway.)

Comment

Mine was on the cover of a book, back in 1993.

https://www.amazon.com/Studebaker-19...aker+langworth
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

Comment

My friend Jim, here in Massachusetts, owns the twin to this car in RED!...Really beautiful, and truly the last of the 'big' Studebakers!

Comment

Lots of bullet nose cars got repainted red, but Studebaker never offered them that way. There were two colors of maroon, but no bright red. You could get a truck painted red, but not a car. I suppose one could special order one and pay extra, but that's the only way.

Folks with red 50-51 cars are disappointed when they are judged and marked down for non-authentic color.

Strangely, the sale brochure showed them in bright red. I wonder why the factory did not offer that as a color.

Comment

Lots of bullet nose cars got repainted red, but Studebaker never offered them that way. There were two colors of maroon, but no bright red. You could get a truck painted red, but not a car. I suppose one could special order one and pay extra, but that's the only way.

Folks with red 50-51 cars are disappointed when they are judged and marked down for non-authentic color.

Strangely, the sale brochure showed them in bright red. I wonder why the factory did not offer that as a color.
                Yes,...My friend Jim's '50 Commander convertible was originally gray, and the dash still is. It sure looks great painted bright red though!

Comment

This car resides in CA, but it was assembled in South Bend, not LA/Vernon.
                  Gary L.
                  Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                  Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Roy your Commander convertible is beautiful!!! I own that book and have often wondered who's car on the book cover that was. Thanks for sharing.

Mark

Comment

Originally posted by Bullet View Post
                      Roy your Commander convertible is beautiful!!! I own that book and have often wondered who's car on the book cover that was. Thanks for sharing.

Mark
                      Thanks Mark. I think my name is credited on one of the last pages in point 000001 font.

Comment

Mine was on the cover of a book, back in 1993.

https://www.amazon.com/Studebaker-19...aker+langworth
                        Beautiful! And thanks for reminding me to look for a copy of this book; I don't have one yet.

Have you owned or driven a '50 Champion convertible? If so, can you compare the two models for us?

Comment

Forty years ago, a friend had a 50 Champion convertible, but mechanically it was past its prime when I drove it. General differences:
                          -the Commander has much more torque (and get up and go) than the Champion
                          -the Commander brakes are much better
                          -the Commander is a much better road car than the Champion
                          -The Champion is better for driving around town than the Commander
                          -the Commander has a rear sway bar and that contributes greatly to road-ability
                          -the Commander, at least my Commander, is MUCH harder to steer than the Champion
                          -the Champion is better proportioned aesthetically than the Commander, IMO
                          Last edited by RadioRoy; 03-25-2017, 12:34 PM.

Comment

Beautiful car! But the cheesy plastic license plate frame with the bent license plate detract from the asking price…Is it correct to mount the fog lights directly behind the bumper over riders? Im not a restorer…just saying if your gonna ask top dollar ..Do the home work.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                              My friend Jim, here in Massachusetts, owns the twin to this car in RED!
                              This one was at SDC Gettysburg in 1980. Perhaps it was his.
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	50 Comm Conv.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	1713036
                              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                              Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                              sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Working...
                              X