SDC membership

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDC membership

Just curious if anyone knows how many members there currently are in the SDC. I see there are 8,814 members registered on the forum. Anyone know if membership has increased/decreased over the last year?

I don't know the exact number but judging by the number of people listed on the "New Members" section in Turning Wheels we seem to be growing at a brisk pace.
    But then, we lose members each year due to drop outs and death. I believe there is someone here on the Forum who is connected to Cornerstone and would have the total.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

I believe Cornerstone might be able to advise circa 12.5K or thereabouts. Would be interesting to know what the figure might be
      Richard
      sigpic

Comment

At last report the SDC membership numbers are somewhere in the 11000 member range.

Frank van Doorn
        Director
        Frank van Doorn
        Omaha, Ne.
        1962 GT Hawk 289 4 speed
        1941 Champion streetrod, R-2 Powered, GM 200-4R trans.
        1952 V-8 232 Commander State "Starliner" hardtop OD

Comment

Here is the correct membership count as of March 1: 10,488

This information is directly from President Tom Curtis, who follows our club's membership on an almost weekly basis.

Comment

I think the number has been slowly drifting down for a number of years.
            Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
            50 Champion 2 door*
            53 Commander K Auto*
            53 Commander K overdrive*
            55 President Speedster
            62 GT 4Speed*
            63 Avanti R1*
            64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post

Honestly, what can you expect? It's not like the situation is misunderstood in any way. Unless the younger generations can see a benefit of some kind in Studebakers, they won't be interested in the expense and trouble of restoring and maintaining them. Sponsoring High School shop projects and programmes is an excellent way to ensure the survival of this marque. That however is for those far more well-heeled than myself. 'bout all I can do is volunteer my scanty talents.
              Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
              K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
              Ron Smith
              Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Remember with the amount of registered members on the forum, some are non sdc members, many years inactive, and probably some computer bots that registered at one point.

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                  I think that's car clubs, and formal organizations in general. I'm 49 and the "youngster" in a lot of my hobbies. Most folks in their early 40's and younger aren't real "joiners" and tend to not see the value in belonging to a group. Not sure what the reasons are, other than volunteer organizations often require something of their membership in order to survive and perhaps they deem that as too big of a commitment. A lot of organizations that have been around for generations like the Elks, VFW, and a lot of churches are shedding members at an alarming rate.

I'm pretty new to the SDC, but have been involved in vintage motorcycle, vintage kart, and the West Coast Crosley Clubs for years and the membership numbers of all of those have been waning over the last few years. I'm just trying to enjoy it while it lasts.
                  Dean Seavers
                  Sacramento, CA

Comment

Originally posted by studeguy54 View Post
                    Here is the correct membership count as of March 1: 10,488

This information is directly from President Tom Curtis, who follows our club's membership on an almost weekly basis.

With Tom's (Curtis) permission I am putting up some previous year's information:

2016 10,948
                    2015 11,199
                    2014 11,411
                    2013 11,163
                    2012 11,942

Just think what each member could do to these numbers by bringing just one new person to the International Meet this year.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys. I was afraid membership was falling off. Admittedly I have came and went from the club a few times since I first joined in 1998. Never been without a stude for the last 20 years. Renovating houses and having kids took precedent over my treasured studes for a while. I let my membership lapse the last time in 2012 and it was sad to see how much things had changed when I got the first turning wheels in February 2017. I tell everyone I meet with a studebaker about the club but who knows if any of the joined. Hopefully some do.

Comment

Keep in mind that these membership numbers are not the total number of people/members. SDC's memberships are family memberships, not individual.
                        Gary L.
                        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                          Keep in mind that these membership numbers are not the total number of people/members. SDC's memberships are family memberships, not individual.
                          Until our numbers dwindle to the last few, I don't see how we could ever know an exact number. Unless we establish an official "Grim Reaper" officer...whose duties would be to record the death of members and immediately expunge them from our roster.

Who would want that job?
                          John Clary
                          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I have been a continuous member since 1985, but last renewal, I opted out of the TW magazine. I have a couple hundred pounds of them in the closet I hope to find a new home for in SB this May.
                            Judging by thickness of annual membership rosters, it seems our club has about as many members today as 20 years ago. Admittedly, that is probably not a very scientific measurement. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post

Honestly, what can you expect? It's not like the situation is misunderstood in any way. Unless the younger generations can see a benefit of some kind in Studebakers, they won't be interested in the expense and trouble of restoring and maintaining them. Sponsoring High School shop projects and programmes is an excellent way to ensure the survival of this marque. That however is for those far more well-heeled than myself. 'bout all I can do is volunteer my scanty talents.
                              There is a lot to be said about this angle. This has been discussed over and over and still the SDC seems to ignore this angle to a declining membership. A perfect example is the date of this year's International Meet. Younger folks have families including school aged kids. With the most important Studebaker event of the year being held while school is still in session means these folks cannot attend. I see this not only on the national (sorry international) level but on the zone and local levels as well. If you want to attract younger members, then you have got to cater to the needs of that demographic. I know this will ruffle some feathers, but I cannot see the advantage in ignoring the needs of the very group we admit is missing from our membership.
                              Joe Roberts
                              '61 R1 Champ
                              '65 Cruiser
                              Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Working...
                              X