Most valuable asset!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most valuable asset!

Not a STUDEBAKER, but a great knowledgeable friend. Anyone who has done a major project, encounters "life " moments that disrupt and delay progress. Such has been the case with my attempt to build an operational engine test stand. Like any idea, the reality is always more difficult than merely thinking about it.

Attending to the needs of my mother in a skilled care facility, my wife's health, and my own, is a very good reason to delay progress on my selfish interests. However, in addition to good excuses, are the self inflicted delays. Mainly, tasks that you dread. You make assumptions that a component is too difficult, worn out, above your skill level, or too important to take a chance on messing up. So...the project stalls. For me, my latest self inflicted delay, was the 6 volt HD V8 starter. It is part of the entire mated assembly transferred from another engine. It was dirty, rusty, and I thought "toast!" Until yesterday.

I was just tinkering away, in my back yard, when I hear the sweet tone of a flathead Ford V8. It was my good friend Earl driving his 50 coupe. Earl grew up with wrenches in his hands. A southern area known as Dark Corners. As a mechanic, he earned the respect of both, bootleggers and racers. Recently retired as a Penske fleet manager.

I asked him where I should take my starter to get it rebuilt? His reply, "What makes you think it needs rebuilding?" I showed him how dirty it was, and explained it came from a truck parked in 1975! Well...in less than an hour, with Earl's confident skill, my tools, and both our dirty hands, we had disassembled, inspected, cleaned, lubricated, reassembled, tested, and declared it GOOD!

I offered to pay him. He refused. The flat black paint on his shopworn appearing Ford coupe is good cover for the old flathead sporting a Holly 4 V carb & headers. As he started home,I reached through the window, patted him on the shoulder and said, I hope you know how much you mean to me as a good friend."

Friends that inspire you to do what you thought you couldn't...priceless!
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

John, that is a great story. And you are right. Good friends are priceless, and sometimes hard to come by. Your friend Earl is a keeper.
    Ed Sallia
    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Agreed,

Now, if I could just find a computer buddy like that.
      Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
      Kenmore, Washington
      hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
      '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
      '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
      '69 Pontiac Firebird
      (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Another great "John" story. Thanks for the post and encouragement.
        Bill

Comment

jclary, I don't know you at all except from your forum posts, but between the posts and your attitude that comes with them, you are one of the ones on here that I ALWAYS look forward to reading your words. You are of course, right on target again with this post, and glad to hear that you also will tell someone that simple little sentence about friendship and appreciation that can mean so much.

Comment

Originally posted by j.byrd View Post
            jclary, I don't know you at all except from your forum posts, but between the posts and your attitude that comes with them, you are one of the ones on here that I ALWAYS look forward to reading your words. You are of course, right on target again with this post, and glad to hear that you also will tell someone that simple little sentence about friendship and appreciation that can mean so much.
            @jclary,X2!

Comment

John, what a good read and it reminds me of my good friend "Moon." I met him 40 years ago circling my new construction job site on a Saturday Morning. I was driving my 1960 Champ P/U and he was in his 56 ford P/U. We came around a corner and both our jaws dropped. He liked my ride and I felt the same for his. We became best of friends and have built a lot of cars together since that time and remain best of friends. He helped me get this new Coupe Express ready for the Charlotte GoodGuys last fall. This is my last construction project and I'm retiring after 45 years in the business. Moon and I plan to build some nice cars in the years we have left---
              sigpic

Comment

Don't relax too much Gene. You have worked hard for a long time. If you sit down in that rocker too long your predicted retirement to grave will be six months. Do please keep busy with your long-time friend and stick around a while.

As to the Original Topic: This forum has been like John's friend Earl to me. Seems like I've annoyed a few key people around here (everyone has to have a talent you know...
                ) and I don't get the help when asked for sometimes as a result, I'm sure (no one's fault but my own). Still, the place is invaluable as a resource that keeps me from drowning quite often. The people here have inspired and encouraged me to do things I never thought I could do. Jeff and several others have pulled my chestnuts out of the fire numerous times and I will always be grateful for that help.
                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Buy him a case of flat black paint! Less than $12 !!! (Cheaper than beer, too!)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-Bla...-10-oz/3728855

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
                    Buy him a case of flat black paint! Less than $12 !!! (Cheaper than beer, too!)

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Valspar-Bla...-10-oz/3728855

Funny you posted that pic Jeff. Exactly the paint I used to cover my old rusty starter.
                    They have the high price stuff at eye level and this paint on the floor. It is already cheap and with my veterans discount,I can buy a can with pocket change.
                    John Clary
                    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Working...
                    X