Sly Stone is 74 today! There's a new documentary about him as well

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sly Stone is 74 today! There's a new documentary about him as well

A new documentary about famed Studebaker owner Sly Stone premiered back in January:
    Starting innocently enough as a documentary of a fan trying to score an interview with their favorite musical artist, On the Sly turns into a decade-long search for Sly Stone, the frontman of Sly and the Family Stone and composer of hit classics like “Everyday People” and “Thank You.”

We all remember the story about his Golden Hawk being about the only thing left from his career:
    Sly Stone in ’74. (Getty Images)”I like my small camper. I just do not want to return to a fixed home … I must keep moving,” Stone says. (John Chapple)In his heyday, he live…

When I get a chance to see the doco I'm hoping they do spend a little time on the Hawk. There's a facebook page for the movie and a website called:

I'll be keeping an eye on this so I can check it out when it comes out in general release.

In the meantime I will be listening to some of his music today the way God intended, on 8-track. You kids can check it out on your digital thingamabobs.
    Attached Files

...Stand!...

Last edited by rockne10; 03-15-2017, 04:56 PM.
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

I saw them perform at a place called the Electric Circus on St.Marks Place in New York's East Village, sometime in the late sixties. Please excuse the vagueries regarding the dates, as frequently I think that Jimi Hendrix wrote "Purple Haze" about me. Nonetheless, they were fantastic. Thank you.
      peter lee

Comment

Done well to remember that much.... Howzit go ? - "if you can remember the 60's you weren't really there" ?? They were quite popular here in Oz, Greatest Hits album (1970) charted well. Anyone who owns a Studebaker has an obvious cool factor (including me heh heh........)

Comment

If your home theater system includes a disc player that will handle SACD discs, ckeck out the Audio Fidelity reissue of "Sly & The Family Stone Greatest Hits", in glorious Quadraphonic, still available from the Audio Fidelity website and from Amazon. It's truly stunning!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

I was supposed to see him at a Rock concert in Germany while I was stationed there , He couldn't make it (wonder why) So the concert promoters flew Chuck Berry in from London , Chuck put on a great show , The show was in a Bike racing stadium and was a two day event , We hung our military sleeping bags from railing around the track , We made it look like a bunch bug cocoons Ed

Comment

A few years back Sly was living in the hills East of Napa, Ca. I think a fan was giving him a place to stay. I had my Lark at the car wash, when a pretty rough looking Sly asked me about the year. A Dutch? film crew showed up and shot some film with him. Maybe it's in this documentary.

Comment

Working...
              X