No announcement yet.

York Pa Swap Meet How far?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I could have made a York meet but it's never been in the plans. You guys touting the Harley Davidson tour should also know that on August 24th, the Upper Mississippi Valley Zone Meet is unofficially offering a tour of the Harley Davidson Museum in Milwaukee Wisconsin. That is another unbelievable tour to take. it is unofficial because the meet actually doesn't open until Friday the 25th. For more info see the ad in the March Turning Wheels. Enjoy York all you lucky guys, Bill.

Comment

Was sunny and almost 70 degrees F today. Saturday predicted to be in high 30s with 1-3" of snow. Typical York!
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Distance the same but with snow time may be more than normal 3 1/2 hours Friday

Comment

Took me about 5 hours to get here. Bought gas for $1.96 when I left, looks to be around $2.39 here.
          Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Only about 40 mIles away I'll be there Saturday morning. I would drive my GT but my seats are still at the upholstery shop.
            I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Woke up to rain this morning, but I changed to snow just after 6:30.
              Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Light snow here in York this morning, temperature is around 32 F. Roads look okay, as it was over 60 F and sunny yesterday afternoon and the ground warmed up.

The trip down yesterday was uneventful, except Penndot had 83 closed down to one lane for some type of maintenance operation right at the ramp merge with RT 11, just over the Susquehanna River bridge in Harrisburg and traffic was backed up for miles. I don't know what they were doing as there were no workers in the work zone when I got there just a guy in a bucket loader on the shoulder, all traffic was at a dead stop for 20 minutes and then stop and go for what must have been hours for some drivers.
                Last edited by dpson; 03-10-2017, 04:51 AM.
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

so.... who drove a Stude to the meet and what was it ??

Comment

The York crowd on Friday was much larger than during recent years. There were actual crowds around some vendors on Friday morning. With no prospect for a York meet next year, several vendors were clearing out inventory. Guido, as usual, was attired in coveralls, selling from an outdoor space, despite horizontal snow and high winds. Stephen Cade re-occupied his old indoor space and seemed to be very busy. Ed Reynolds reported brisk sales.

There were at least three T-cab trucks (Ed Jones, Ted Jensen, and one from Delaware), an Avanti II, and the semi-famous Detroit diesel 12V71-powered M-series septic tank pumper outside.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                      Stephen Cade re-occupied his old indoor space and seemed to be very busy.
                      We had a few lulls in the action, but the breaks were barely long enough to go to the restroom or make a quick lap around the building.

We did alright as far as sales go, and I picked up a nice cab and some other good parts for my 59 pickup project. And it was great to see so many familiar faces.

A big, big thanks to the Keystone Region chapter for such a fun farewell meet. I'm glad we were there for it.

Comment

Immensely bittersweet this weekend.
                        Those of us who have been blessed to be a part of this for over four decades just need to thank each and every one of you for making it all worthwhile.
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Bittersweet indeed. While Studebakers are always the #1 topic of conversation, #2 this year was how sad everybody was that this great run was gonna end. I am the same age as the organizers of the meet, so I understand their reluctance to continue shouldering this burden for the benefit of others. The York meet has run a deficit for the last several years, and the Keystone Chapter subsidizes it (and us) in a number of ways. Even the Friday buffet dinner was partially subsidized by Keystone. The York fairgrounds is a great venue, it's easily accessible, and there are a wide array of hotels and restaurants in the area. It will be missed.

Thanks Keystone.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                          X