Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best eBay buyer yet!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Best eBay buyer yet!

    As mentioned in a different thread, I prepared an eBay listing for a friend who wanted to sell his '52 2R5 truck (so he could concentrate on his '51 2R 3/4-ton). The buyer probably used a snipe bid or he had an automatic bid because in the last seconds the sale price went from $4,500 to $5,946. A little after the closing I sent him the usual notice about sending a PayPal deposit within 48 hours. Within 30 minutes I had the deposit. I then advised him to deal directly with the owner about paying the balance. In the next few hours he talked to the seller three times and he sent a cashier's check within the first 24 hours. He has emailed me several times thanking both the owner and me for being so honest and knowledgeable. He advised the seller to let him know when the check went through and he would send a transporter to pick up the truck and deliver it probably to his home in New Bern, NC.

    He has a '51 Champion Starlight Coupe and he is buying the truck for his wife who he says can't wait to get the truck. He plans to restore it as original.

    I decided to go ahead and post a favorable feedback on him only to find that he had already posted a great feedback on me.

    Now here's the strangest part. He and his wife are both in Kuwait and won't be back in until May.
    Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

  • #2
    Hmmm, make sure you have the money in your hand and the BANK tells you they won't recall the funds!!

    Comment


    • #3
      Hopefully he will be allowed to return home to his country when he desires without incident...
      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

      The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

      �Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

      For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

      "All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

      Comment


      • #4
        At this point, I would have a BIG lump in my throat...

        But with that said, I've dealt with people around the world on eBay and have never been stiffed. The most challenging deal for me was for a Leica M2 I had listed on eBay from a buyer in a European country who wanted me to deal with an associate in that country's consulate in NYC. I called the consulate independently and asked if anyone there had heard of "Mr X" and the answer was a resounding yes!

        It pays to be extra cautious and be safe financially when dealing with folks over an invisible "barrier."

        Comment


        • #5
          I would definitely talk to the bank,and make sure the check is legit.I've heard cases where foreign checks were deposited and Bounced after about 30 days. When I sold my Lark to a guy in Iceland,he did a wire transfer of funds,and my banker assured me it was 100% safe,and also I seem to remember him saying it was the ONLY way to be sure!
          Oglesby,Il.

          Comment


          • #6
            I don't believe Kuwait is on the travel or any other ban. There are a lot of Americans working there. Quite a fabulous place to see since the war, I'm told.

            By the by, snipe software isn't necessary anymore. ebay's software will do electronic bidding up to your pre-set maximum automatically. Any software that bypasses that process is blocked. Though I haven't any doubt that there is software out there that will bypass whatever you like, as long as you have the money to buy it.

            However, since they're not getting home soon, I wouldn't ship the truck for forty-five days just to make sure.

            Last edited by studeclunker; 03-07-2017, 02:45 PM.
            Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
            K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
            Ron Smith
            Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

            Comment


            • #7
              Remember...we liberated Kuwait! Hopefully, we will do the same for ourselves.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

              SDC member since 1975

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jclary View Post
                Remember...we liberated Kuwait! Hopefully, we will do the same for ourselves.
                Wah, hah, hah, hah, haaaaaa!!!

                Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                Ron Smith
                Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've been on eBay for almost 20 years now; eBay's software has always bid up to your pre-set maximum automatically when others put in competing bids. The purpose of sniping is to put your bid in at the last minute so that other people don't make their decisions about how much they want the thing based on how much you've shown you want it by a regular bid. eBay has never done that and doesn't do that now. eBay doesn't block sniping software that I know of, because the sniping software logs itself in "as you"-- using your user name and password. I doubt eBay can tell the difference.

                  Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
                  By the by, snipe software isn't necessary anymore. ebay's software will do electronic bidding up to your pre-set maximum automatically. Any software that bypasses that process is blocked. Though I haven't any doubt that there is software out there that will bypass whatever you like, as long as you have the money to buy it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I'm always cautious selling a vehicle on eBay.
                    There are some real flakes out there.
                    Mono mind in a stereo world

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by 53k View Post
                      As mentioned in a different thread, I prepared an eBay listing for a friend who wanted to sell his '52 2R5 truck (so he could concentrate on his '51 2R 3/4-ton). The buyer probably used a snipe bid or he had an automatic bid because in the last seconds the sale price went from $4,500 to $5,946. A little after the closing I sent him the usual notice about sending a PayPal deposit within 48 hours. Within 30 minutes I had the deposit. I then advised him to deal directly with the owner about paying the balance. In the next few hours he talked to the seller three times and he sent a cashier's check within the first 24 hours. He has emailed me several times thanking both the owner and me for being so honest and knowledgeable. He advised the seller to let him know when the check went through and he would send a transporter to pick up the truck and deliver it probably to his home in New Bern, NC.

                      He has a '51 Champion Starlight Coupe and he is buying the truck for his wife who he says can't wait to get the truck. He plans to restore it as original.

                      I decided to go ahead and post a favorable feedback on him only to find that he had already posted a great feedback on me.

                      Now here's the strangest part. He and his wife are both in Kuwait and won't be back in until May.
                      please be careful, the speed of the deal is a tactic of check scammers. If he's in Kuwait why would he be in such a hurry to get it out of your hands? How was his number of purchases and his feedback? Make sure he didnt run up his numbers with dollar purchases over a short time. Is the cashiers check drawn on a US bank? if not just tell him your bank recommends a 30 day period for the check to clear and see what he says.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by 1963R4 View Post
                        please be careful, the speed of the deal is a tactic of check scammers. If he's in Kuwait why would he be in such a hurry to get it out of your hands? How was his number of purchases and his feedback? Make sure he didnt run up his numbers with dollar purchases over a short time. Is the cashiers check drawn on a US bank? if not just tell him your bank recommends a 30 day period for the check to clear and see what he says.
                        Thanks for the caution, but these is little doubt of his authenticity. He has 175 all positive feedbacks over a period of years. His purchases include a number of Studebaker parts as well as Mustang and Chevrolet. He won't arrange pickup until the owner is satisfied that the cashier's check is good. I will mention the possibility of a scam to the owner to make sure the check is good
                        Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                        '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Is it one of the known members from New Bern? I know we have have some great folks in the club from that area. Steve
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            If he has to walk into a bank to buy a cashiers check,he can just as easily do an EFT.
                            Oglesby,Il.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I suspect the transaction will go through without a hitch. Civilian contractors go to the middle east and make tons of money, often with minimal effort; they become very bored, and spend lots of time on the internet. Six thousand dollars has a different meaning under those circumstances, kinda like monopoly money. The timely responses on the buyer's part may be due to boredom, and not much else to do.
                              Last edited by JoeHall; 03-08-2017, 11:08 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X