No announcement yet.

Best eBay buyer yet!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish you well, but please verify your bank won't recall the check after 30 days or so. It almost happened to me once. I second a previous comment, if he can buy a cashier's check, he can merely call the BANK and do a wire transfer. I just bought a car from AZ, merely called the BANK, wire transfer transaction took 5 minutes.

Comment

wire transfer

Comment

Paul, this is a great story and it will go through as planned and probably sooner than later.
        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Avantidon, if I were a betting man I'd say scam all day long. I've had offers like that 3 times in the past...."I'm On an oil rig in the gulf," or " my company has me out of the country, buying it for my son as a surprise ", etc...

Comment

There are good, bad, and ugly everywhere... as always.

Comment

Originally posted by handworn View Post
              I've been on eBay for almost 20 years now; eBay's software has always bid up to your pre-set maximum automatically when others put in competing bids. The purpose of sniping is to put your bid in at the last minute so that other people don't make their decisions about how much they want the thing based on how much you've shown you want it by a regular bid. eBay has never done that and doesn't do that now. eBay doesn't block sniping software that I know of, because the sniping software logs itself in "as you"-- using your user name and password. I doubt eBay can tell the difference.
              Agreed. In a sense the outcome of these Ebay timed auctions sort of turns into the end results of a sealed bid auction, in the final seconds - when sniping. You know the current price but you have no idea what others might also bid. So, you give it your one best shot and hope others are below you. And, as you state there is no time to re-bid. So many think sniping is to "steal" the item at the last second. No! It is (hopefully) to get the winning bid in before anyone else has a chance to re-bid. Thus the primary purpose is to keep the price down.

All that said the electronic bidding will beat sniping if that bid exceeds the best last second snipe. But it can get expensive because you are almost always forced to set a maximum bid beyond a realistic value. I've even heard of sellers having a third party bid to drive up the auto bid. Yes, at a risk of exceeding it. But, then they typically just contact the second highest bidder and say, "The other guy bailed out, do you want it for the price you bid."

I've seen other posts where people just don't comprehend the Ebay timed bid. They think Ebay is like a farm auction that goes until no one else responds to bid higher. Or, they bid $100 on an item at $50 and can't figure out why someone else bid $101 right behind them (auto bid). They can't figure out why for at least a period of time they weren't the high bidder. Or (again) they become the high bidder at $51 and can't figure out why their bid isn't at $100.
              Last edited by wittsend; 03-11-2017, 09:38 AM.
              '64 Lark Type, powered by '85 Corvette L-98 (carburetor), 700R4, - CASO to the Max.

Comment

I use a "snipe" program,simply because "everybody else does". The only advantage being,sometimes,say there is only one or two or three bidders on an item. My snipe does not show until the last second.Therefor the bidders shown think there is no more interest in the item,and don't increase their bids.
                Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Originally posted by 52hawk View Post
                  I use a "snipe" program,simply because "everybody else does". The only advantage being,sometimes,say there is only one or two or three bidders on an item. My snipe does not show until the last second.Therefor the bidders shown think there is no more interest in the item,and don't increase their bids.
                  I use snipe bids to prevent me from going "auction fever". I will make my snipe amount what I'm willing to pay. If it goes above that, well, I didn't need it. I have won more than I have lost though.
                  Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
                  '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Comment

Working...
                  X