What Would You Do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Would You Do

I am seeking the comments of my fellow forum members . I have been working on the up dating of our clubs registries with managers name and email address for easier access to information. This is the question , if you had to decide what to do when there are 6 remaining unconfirmed registries 3 have no manager or email/web site and two have managers that are no longer members of the club and no email addresses and lastly 1 that has an incorrect email address and you have tried to get answers from fellow chapter members without success , 1 do you consider the registries as inactive (dead) 2 do you include the three with no managers and no email addresses as not yet made registries for vehicles with no representation or 3 include all six in the previous category and start all over again with those six. Would like to hear what others would do and I am looking for constructive comments only .

Old Fart Terry

I was looking at the registries yesterday after having my own vehicle entered recently. The first thing I noticed is that every registry has a different format. I realize that most of these started on an informal basis, but it might be beneficial to work towards having a common format for the registries. With a common format and a searchable database all the registries could be searched from a single point. This might result in having fewer managers needed as individual managers might be persuaded to be responsible for more years/models.

If registries are no longer being updated and the already entered data cannot be updated it would seem best to start over. Old inactive registries are probably so out of date as to have little value in any event.
    American iron, real old school
    With two tone paint, it sure is cool

Its got 8 cylinders and uses them all
    With an overdrive that just won't stall

With a 4 barrel carb and dual exhausts
    With 4.23 gears it can really get lost

Its got safety belts and I ain't scared
    The brakes are good and the tires are fair.

Tried to sell her, but got no taker
    I"ll just keep driving my Studebaker

Comment

Terry, what is involved in running one of these registries? If it requires equipment, dedicated resources and such, that rules (for instance) me out. My computer is ten years old and literally falling apart.
      Does the Club provide a platform and the software to manage the database?
      I have applicable skills, having had nearly twenty years experience in Data Processing. However, equipment and software are a serious issue. These are likely the questions a lot of other members are not voicing and still pondering. Time I have. Resources... not so much.
      Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
      K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
      Ron Smith
      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

As we can see, the current format for Registries is not a very reliable method. In my humble opinion, it is time we, as a club function, need to either consider an alternative, or discontinue the practice. Looks like depending on volunteers... well then, you get what you pay for. It is evident, with volunteers, you will get results as varied as the different individuals performing the tasks. In addition, the effort will mirror the enthusiasm of those individuals, and we know that comes & goes too.

Instead, how about looking into the main function of our club where records are gathered and maintained reliably? Currently, if I understand it correctly, that resides with Cornerstone Registration that keeps our membership roster. Already, the helter/skelter registries that now exist, is information voluntarily submitted. So that does not need to change. The club registration/renewal form could merely be expanded to allow members to include their vehicle specific identifying numbers in addition to the customary year/car/truck/coupe/sedan terminology currently used.

Then, we could set up security permissions/restrictions to protect the data base as in all such computer data bases. With the proper data, any member allowed to access the data, should be able to enter the proper identifying numbers, & pull up all the applicable information in the data base. Having this data with strict rules for how it can be used, by “members only,” (SDC not just forum), would be another incentive for membership, and certainly justifiable.

There might be a cost to develop the initial data base, but once established, should be part of the routine process. No separate grouping of registries required. If you want to know where a certain vehicle is...just log on to the member site...enter the appropriate info...& pull it up. WIN WIN
        John Clary
        Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Well I both agree and disagree with you John. IMHO the current group of volunteers have done a brilliant job! They have created something out of nothing. However the problems you mentioned are an issue. Certainly not an insurmountable obstacle though. I've done re-formats like this before, it can be done! In fact, the whole thing, once set up, would be far less of a burden to maintain. Especially since then we could have several people doing the maintenance and thereby sharing the work and reducing the burden on each. However, your idea of attaching the vehicle database to the current membership registry is a good one too! This would create a need for rewriting the current software to accommodate quite a number of new fields, however that can be done also. Then once the rewrite is complete, we just 'port over the old database to the new and we're done. It isn't as easy as I make it sound, however this is an attainable goal. The sixty-nine thousand dollar question is; does the club have the resources to do so?
          Ron Smith

Comment

Wouldn't the Studebaker National Museum be a good depository for records of how many Studebaker are still in existence?
            I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
              Well I both agree and disagree with you John. IMHO the current group of volunteers have done a brilliant job! They have created something out of nothing.
              Before we get too far in this discussion, let me provide the disclaimer that I in no way meant to disparage the volunteers. Any such endeavor within our hobby is to be commended. In my youth, I was quick to jump in with great enthusiasm. However, it did not take me long to learn that I shouldn't be so quick to offer a service for which I lacked the talent or tenacity to "stay with it." I have had to embarrassingly bow out of commitments. It gave me a great respect for those who perform volunteer duties, (boy scouts, church, school, or the SDC).

While I'm disclaiming...let me add that what I proposed comes from zero computer talent and very little firsthand knowledge of how such data is gathered, formatted, and maintained. "Ideas" are easy, making them sensible is the hard part. So, I'm doing the easy thing of offering an idea...like the guy that starts a bar brawl, hits the floor, crawls out the door, and walks away. My idea, and any additional comments, should be viewed with the disclaimer in mind, and appropriate value assigned.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I didn't mean to chastise you John. However, I do believe it is time for the club itself to get involved with this. It would be a valuable resource. I rather agree with the bulk of your suggestions and ideas.

Ron Smith

Comment

Hi Guys : Am having to start this over everything that I wrote disappeared . The whole purpose of this was to make it easier for any S.D.C. member to find the appropriate registry for their vehicle have the contact persons name and an email address to get in touch with that manager . The comment was made that the current system was ( I'll Call it Confusing )having a difficult format . The idea was to simplify the system for our members . My own registry is simple and only has as far as I think the basic information , owners name , general location , and the all important serial number . This is the only information that is released and then only to other registry members . If one registry member wishes to contact another they have to go through me and I only release what is required with permission only . In the years since I started the registry 4 years ago it has cost me less than $10.00 Canadian , time wise at first was much more than now . Now I am at it maybe an hour a week . Around the 15TH of this month I'll be turning what I have discovered over to Mark Wheeler and he can set up things how he wants record wise or data wise . My personal feelings on this don't really matter but as far as I see it life is too complicated and I like the idea of being informal and if you do complicate things your volunteers will fade away . I have been a member of this club for the better part of 37 years and I have been told over and over the main function of the club was to bring families who enjoy the Studebaker marque together . That is another reason for the registry renewal . For those who are not aware in the last couple of weeks or so we have several all together new registries . And I will remain active finding more people to fill the 17 empty registries . These are the vehicles that currently don't have any representation IE 64-66 sedans except Sports sedans and Cruisers. Studeclunker if you wish I can send you how I have mine set up just email me at not4u@nlis.ca and I'll be glad you that . Guess that's all for now and I thank every one for their thoughts and comments .

Old Fart Terry

Comment

Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
                    Wouldn't the Studebaker National Museum be a good depository for records of how many Studebaker are still in existence?
                    Whatever is done, it will be up to SDC and/or its members (us) to do it. The museum is a separate entity and is focused on maintaining their collection and making enough money to expand and improve it. They have neither the staff nor the budget to take on additional tasks unless it helps them perform those functions (and they are paid for them).
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip :
                      Well said and I agree let's keep it simple .

Old Fart

Comment

Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
                        Nope! The Museum does a yeoman's job of maintaining how many were built, in every facet and form.
                        SDC is a separate entity, and the records at Cornerstone would yield the clearest, though not totally accurate, registry of individual models, assuming members have supplied that information and kept it current; requiring the ability to run a filter on the membership list.
                        I suspect this would be entirely possible if the SDC wishes to cover an additional fee for this service from Cornerstone.
                        In the meantime, all registries are and will remain volunteer, and sketchy. IMHO.
                        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Hey Rockne 10 .
                          Contact Terry at not4u@nlis.ca he would like to chat with you .

Old Fart

Comment

Working...
                          X