Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes people do this?

OK, it's slightly off-topic, but:

Three days ago I was in Greenville, Pennsylvania to visit my mother. The roads were snowy, sloppy, and salty. Coming towards me is a black, authentic-looking (correct wheel covers and gold side trim) '58 Ford Fairlane 500 4-door sedan driving in the slop. My sister said she sees it regularly driving around town.

What would make anyone do this? And no, I truly can't believe it would be the person's only car!

We've had this discussion here before...I know I'm about the only person to like '58 Fords, but...sheesh!

Obligatory Studebaker content: I had always heard (and read in an old local newspaper on microfiche in their library the same day I saw the Ford) that Greenville's Stude market penetration was 10% higher than the national market penetration.

Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    '63 Lark Daytona Skytop R1
    Bill Pressler
    Kent, OH
    (formerly Greenville, PA)
    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
    All are in Australia now

You're not the only one, I like '58 Fords too. In fact, the ONLY Ford I'd consider owning would be the '58 or '59. Right after I buy a '58 President, a '58 Impala, and a '59 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer.[8D]

Comment

You're not the only one, I like '58 Fords too. In fact, the ONLY Ford I'd consider owning would be the '58 or '59. Right after I buy a '58 President, a '58 Impala, and a '59 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer.[8D]

Comment

Funny, I don't like the '59 Ford at all, but also like the '57 (how everyone has forgotten that it outsold the '57 Chevy), and of course like many others I really like the '56 Ford. Always liked the '61 Ford Starliner hardtop too. And I'm from a Chevy family!

Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH

quote:Originally posted by StudHawk60

You're not the only one, I like '58 Fords too. In fact, the ONLY Ford I'd consider owning would be the '58 or '59. Right after I'd buy a '58 President, a '58 Impala, and a '59 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer.[8D]
        Bill Pressler
        Kent, OH
        All are in Australia now

Comment

Funny, I don't like the '59 Ford at all, but also like the '57 (how everyone has forgotten that it outsold the '57 Chevy), and of course like many others I really like the '56 Ford. Always liked the '61 Ford Starliner hardtop too. And I'm from a Chevy family!

Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH

quote:Originally posted by StudHawk60

You're not the only one, I like '58 Fords too. In fact, the ONLY Ford I'd consider owning would be the '58 or '59. Right after I'd buy a '58 President, a '58 Impala, and a '59 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer.[8D]
          Bill Pressler
          Kent, OH
          All are in Australia now

Comment

Lets say you find a '60 Lark 4 door 6cyl auto that is rusty in all the usual places but runs well.The car has minimum value as either a driver or a parts car.Whats the worst that can happen to it by driving it in the slop? Plus the fun of driving a Studebaker.The owner of that Ford may have a drop dead gorgeous '58 sitting at home and found this one cheap.He might even wash it regularly to minimize the salt effect.Or he knows it drives people nuts to see him doing it and enjoys that....lol
            Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Lets say you find a '60 Lark 4 door 6cyl auto that is rusty in all the usual places but runs well.The car has minimum value as either a driver or a parts car.Whats the worst that can happen to it by driving it in the slop? Plus the fun of driving a Studebaker.The owner of that Ford may have a drop dead gorgeous '58 sitting at home and found this one cheap.He might even wash it regularly to minimize the salt effect.Or he knows it drives people nuts to see him doing it and enjoys that....lol
              Mono mind in a stereo world

Comment

Not all winter beaters are Cavaliers... I searched for my bulletnose sedan for years, no luck. After I finally get it home, Studes come out of the woodwork-- many could be generously described as winter beaters and were priced accordingly.

I'd rather drive a funky Studebaker any day of the year than be caught in a Cavalier, weather notwithstanding.

51 Commander State Sedan
                Butler PA

51 Commander State Sedan
                Butler PA

Comment

Not all winter beaters are Cavaliers... I searched for my bulletnose sedan for years, no luck. After I finally get it home, Studes come out of the woodwork-- many could be generously described as winter beaters and were priced accordingly.

I'd rather drive a funky Studebaker any day of the year than be caught in a Cavalier, weather notwithstanding.

51 Commander State Sedan
                  Butler PA

51 Commander State Sedan
                  Butler PA

Comment

I'm sure some observant drivers here in Omaha thought the same of me (is he nuts driving that old car out here in the slush??) when I regularly drove my 1956 4-door Commander and 1964 Rambler Classic in all kinds of winter weather. The 1956 looked real sharp from 50 feet away but was indeed a beater (the weight of the bondo did help with winter roadability!). The Rambler was much nicer cosmetically but the collectibility of 4-door mid-range Classics was and is practically nil. While I would never dream of driving my better Studebakers through the slush and muck, I did enjoy driving what otherwise a few years ago would have been considered "beaters" on the mean streets of Omaha. Both cars made winter a lot more tolerable circa 1998-2004!

Studedude1961
                    --1963 Cruiser

Comment

I'm sure some observant drivers here in Omaha thought the same of me (is he nuts driving that old car out here in the slush??) when I regularly drove my 1956 4-door Commander and 1964 Rambler Classic in all kinds of winter weather. The 1956 looked real sharp from 50 feet away but was indeed a beater (the weight of the bondo did help with winter roadability!). The Rambler was much nicer cosmetically but the collectibility of 4-door mid-range Classics was and is practically nil. While I would never dream of driving my better Studebakers through the slush and muck, I did enjoy driving what otherwise a few years ago would have been considered "beaters" on the mean streets of Omaha. Both cars made winter a lot more tolerable circa 1998-2004!

Studedude1961
                      --1963 Cruiser

Comment

We discussed this here not long ago. Sadly, some people will inherit a nice older car and figure, "Hey, it's free, so why not use it up?"

Understanding that mentality can be compared to attitudes toward today's most common consumer good: personal computers. Many computer users are just fascinated by them and can't wait to get the newest and the latest, all but worshipping the product....just as most consumers did automobiles in the 1950s and 1960s.

Others view their computers as boring but necessary accessories to today's life, so they could care less about their computer as a product, as do many folks regarding automobiles, regardless of age. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                        "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

We discussed this here not long ago. Sadly, some people will inherit a nice older car and figure, "Hey, it's free, so why not use it up?"

Understanding that mentality can be compared to attitudes toward today's most common consumer good: personal computers. Many computer users are just fascinated by them and can't wait to get the newest and the latest, all but worshipping the product....just as most consumers did automobiles in the 1950s and 1960s.

Others view their computers as boring but necessary accessories to today's life, so they could care less about their computer as a product, as do many folks regarding automobiles, regardless of age. BP

We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                          "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Nice comparison, Mr. Palma.

I drive my '59 everyday, in any weather. Of course, there's no such thing as snow and salt where I live. The worst thing I have worry about is a rainstorm, and then all I do is turn the wiper knob and open the vent windows. (They also work as the defogger for the windshield. )

Matthew Burnette
                            '59 Scotsman
                            '63 Daytona
                            Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Nice comparison, Mr. Palma.

I drive my '59 everyday, in any weather. Of course, there's no such thing as snow and salt where I live. The worst thing I have worry about is a rainstorm, and then all I do is turn the wiper knob and open the vent windows. (They also work as the defogger for the windshield. )

Matthew Burnette
                              '59 Scotsman
                              '63 Daytona
                              Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

Working...
                              X