Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1948 Studebaker Champion Engine Compartment Light.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1948 Studebaker Champion Engine Compartment Light.

Hi, does anyone have a picture of the engine compartment light installed in the Champions in 1948? I've searched the Chassis and the Body Parts Catalogs, but I can't find it listed therein. However, the 1948 accessories brochure states that an "engine compartment" light was an option in 1948. Supposedly, it is an automatic lamp that turns on when the hood is raised and turns off when the hood is closed. So, it must have some sort of mercury switch inline with the light.

If someone has one and you can take a quick picture of it and post it, I'd certainly appreciate it.

As always, thank you for your help!
    Best Regards,
    Sergio
    1948 Champion Regal Deluxe

http://www.studebaker-info.org/Archi...ACC/48acck.jpg

It should have a mercury switch

Don't you already have this brochure?
    Last edited by RadioRoy; 03-06-2017, 01:05 PM.
    RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
    10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
    10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
    4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
    5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
    56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
    60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

HI RadioRoy, thank you for the info...YES, I have the brochure and its getting warn down from the many times I've read it over and over, but the brochure doesn't offer any installation details or even a good clear picture of some of the items (the hood light being one of them). For the hood lamp, it just has what looks like an artists rendition of what it would look like, so it has not detail. (If its a photograph, its a really bad one).

Is the light similar in size to the glove box light? Or is the hood lamp bigger?
      Best Regards,
      Sergio

Comment

This may not the exact one for '48's, but it looked a lot like this.

Comment

The photo Matt posted looks like the correct light, or very nearly so. Holes should already be present in the hood cross-brace.
          Get a copy of the mounting instructions here: http://www.studebakerdriversclub.com...rtemplates.htm
          Ask for:
          AC-1385 Underhood Light - cars & M series, 2R Truck 1947-49

Comment

Actually Dwain all 1947-50. Below the installation instructions. I have most.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hood light 1947-50.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	1712778
            Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 03-05-2017, 07:31 PM.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Hi Matt / Dwain / Richard, THANK YOU very, very much!!! - This light is exactly the way I thought it should be. I didn't know where it should be installed, but Richard's installation drawing answered that question.

WOW!!! This forum is one of the best I've seen in a VERY long time and I've been on forums since 1990 when CompuServe began to connect to the then very young Internet.

Thanks you ALL again!
              Best Regards,
              Sergio

Comment

So it lights without the headlight switch being on. That is a very good idea.
                RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

17A-S2 - 50 Commander convertible
                10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
                10G-Q4 - 51 Champion business coupe
                4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
                5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon
                56B-D4 - 56 Commander station wagon
                60V-L6 - 60 Lark convertible

Comment

I had a mid 80s Buick that I sent to the crusher but I kept the mercury switch/light from the trunk and hood. A mercury switch may be hard to find as it is considered a hazardous substance. Local auto wreckers are required by law to remove mercury switches and store them in an approved container for disposal when they enter the yard.

Comment

Working...
                  X