Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

High School Auto shop builds a '64 Convertible (picture now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is local who has a few high-school builders motors(6cyl.) and rear ends all tall(4:54 )ratios & no one wants them !

Comment

Originally posted by kmul221 View Post
      There is local who has a few high-school builders motors(6cyl.) and rear ends all tall(4:54 )ratios & no one wants them !
      If the rear Axles are Studebaker Dana 44's with Low "Racing Gears", someone doing Drag Racing somewhere should want them.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

My mistake, I have not had a 6 cylinder since 1978.
        Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        A '64 Daytona 6 Convertible would have had a 170 c.i.d. OHV Six Engine, has it been changed to a 185 Flathead?
        I measured the supplied V8 brake drums for the upgrade and unfortunately the drums/hubs are not within tolerance. The owner is rethinking the upgraded V8 braking system. I now have to measure the 6 cylinder drums, even they may be worn, then who know which way to go. I will take some picture this week and post them.

Allen
        1964 GT Hawk
        PSMCDR 2014
        Best time: 14.473 sec. 96.57 MPH quarter mile
        PSMCDR 2013
        Best time: 14.654 sec. 94.53 MPH quarter

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Hi Allen,

At which school is this being done? I designed the new shops for Vic High a few years ago and knew the shop teachers there. Did you replace Mark at VHS?

Jim
          \"Ahh, a bear in his natural habitat...a Studebaker!\"

51 Land Cruiser (Elsie)
          Jim Mann
          Victoria, B.C.
          Canada

Comment

It will be pricey to replace the V8 Front Drums with Hubs, and Rears, but a better way to go for availability now and in the future.

The braking will be adequate with 6 Cly. Units but with a Very Heavy Convert. it will be much better with V8 Type.
            StudeRich

Comment

I'm at Spectrum. We measured the 6 cylinder front brake hubs and they are toast as well, measuring at 10.180. I guess there is a good reason this car had a hard time stopping.

The owner has some decisions to make. Put in V8 brakes, he has all the brake parts including backing plates or stick with new 6 cylinder drums/hubs, shoes, wheel cylinders, Master cylinder.

I also have to look at the front spindles. They were heavily laden with sticky grease. I wiped them down quickly passing by and thought I spotted a rusty spindle. A better look tomorrow.

Originally posted by StudeMann View Post
              Hi Allen,

At which school is this being done? I designed the new shops for Vic High a few years ago and knew the shop teachers there. Did you replace Mark at VHS?

Jim
              1964 GT Hawk
              PSMCDR 2014
              PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

I agree. Can you help us out with the the parts Rich?

Allen

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
                It will be pricey to replace the V8 Front Drums with Hubs, and Rears, but a better way to go for availability now and in the future.

The braking will be adequate with 6 Cly. Units but with a Very Heavy Convert. it will be much better with V8 Type.
                1964 GT Hawk
                PSMCDR 2014
                PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Sure, PM me with what is needed and we can check used stock, and or can order New. All Hydraulic System Parts are in stock New.
                  StudeRich

Comment

Good stuff Allen! Glad to hear this is working out. I chatted with Ken about the project on Sunday and I supported the move to the V8 drum brakes.
                    Brian Curtis (now near Spokane Wa.) did a '66 Daytona several years back and converted the 6 cylinder brakes to V8 drum brakes at the same time as replacing the broken 194 6cyl with a crate 350 motor. Makes even more sense with the "heavy" convertible... Studebaker missed the boat a bit by not equipping these cars with 11's and 10's to begin with (IMO) .
                    Mark Hayden
                    '66 Commander
                    Zone Coordinator
                    Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

The owner came in today make up a parts list for the brakes. He has decided to upgrade to the V8 brakes. We can now start media blasting the backing plates and painting them. Other students are installing the rear glass, while others are installing trim.

We also started to R&R rear axle seals and bearings on a 1999 WJ Grand Cherokee for a teacher at our school. We managed to pull the two axles today, tomorrow cutting the old bearings off to replace them. Upon inspection looks like we are also installing new emergency brake shoes too.

It's sure nice to expose these kids to newer cars maintenance as well as the old cars.

1964 GT Hawk
                      PSMCDR 2014
                      PSMCDR 2013

Victoria, Canada

Comment

Working...
                      X