54 champion coupe windshield pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 54 champion coupe windshield pump

I have a 54 champion coupe. Their a pump on the floor. How does the pump work getting water to the windshield? I have no connection on the pump or water resevior to see how it works.

There will be a connection on the bottom of the pump. Some pumps had 2 connections so you will have to check which style you have. If you have one connection (most likely on 54) it will have a hose which will run to the larger fitting on top of the bag or jar. The smaller hose will then run to the sparayer(s) When you pump then it creates pressure to force the fluid out of the bag or jar.

If you have a non-studebaker version then it probably works similar.

You will need to check the pump to make sure it is still putting out pressure.

The pumps with two hoses ran the fluid through the pump which meant they tended to fail

Good luck
    Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
    1961 Hawk 4-speed
    1967 Avanti
    1961 Lark 2 door
    1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

Thanks That how one connection works

Comment

The single hose pump will have a valve that prevents backflow attached to the top of the washer bag. The double hose pump has the valve inside the pump.
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

I have a lot of parts, can I get a picture of the check valve and the system. I have a glass jar that says windshield water bottle, did they use glass for a water container?

Comment

A small triangular Glass Bottle of Studebaker Concentrate to mix with water and add to the Reservoir was used mounted on an inner Fender on some models and years, but all of the Pump Reservoirs were Bags on earlier Cars and Plastic bottles on later ones.

If you have a Large round glass bottle, the system or parts of it is likely Aftermarket or GM.
            StudeRich
            Second Generation Stude Driver,
            Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post

If you have a Large round glass bottle, the system or parts of it is likely Aftermarket or GM.
              Unless your Studebaker is 1952 or earlier; in which case the glass jar is correct from factory.Click image for larger version

Name:	P4240008.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1712773 And you can just barely see the check valve in the top of this reservoir. It is white nylon with three orifices and a tiny metal cap.
              "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Thanks I have a 54 champion. In my Dads parts he had a glass jar like the one you had in the picture. But no check valve. Thanks, now I need to look for a bag type water container.

Comment

Originally posted by barry gibbons View Post
                  Thanks, now I need to look for a bag type water container.
                  Available new from many of our Studebaker vendors, as well as the bracket for the end of the battery box. Note there is no check valve in the cap of this bag; in this case the valve is in the pump. Click image for larger version

Name:	P3070012.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	1712796

Pine Grove Mills, Pa.

Comment

Working...
                  X