• Cab over truck

Found this in my travels a few days ago. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0424.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	1753642
    1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

What a wonderful old truck! Wish you had gotten a good pic of the sign too (yes, I'm nosey). Wouldn't that be fun to show up at the feed store with? Or better yet, at a horse show pulling our trailer?

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
    Ron Smith
    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

looks like it might have "run when parked" fairly recently!
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Where did you see this truck?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
          Where did you see this truck?
          Looking at the background, I'm guessing this is somewhere in Illinois farmland. I pasted the picture in another program, enlarged the sign, and it mainly reads "Studebaker Cab over Engine 1 ton truck." So, the owner obviously knows what he has. Not only is the truck great, but the photograph is a good representation of "Americana."
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Originally posted by studeclunker View Post
            What a wonderful old truck! Wish you had gotten a good pic of the sign too (yes, I'm nosey). Wouldn't that be fun to show up at the feed store with? Or better yet, at a horse show pulling our trailer?

I agree a fine looking old truck.
            Attached Files
            "In the heart of Arkansas."
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

Roseville Illinois. It was parked in front of a repair shop. I was through there today but it was gone. I had always heard that their was a cab over truck in my world and now I have seen it. Sometime when I have time to stop for more than a minute I will ask the auto repair shop.
              1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

The cab overs were indeed nice looking trucks for their era 1936-40. They were built principally for intra city use ergo Studebaker's use of the name "metro" series to describe them. I had the good fortune to having bought one (a '36) at an auction in Welland, Illinois in the summer of 1981. It was a one-owner truck that had been purchased by the local Studebaker dealer for his own use. Having no place to store it and no money to restore it I sold it soon thereafter. It was later completely restored (image #2). The down side of the cab forwards was that they were the last Studebakers to use a wood framework for their bodies and replacing the wood, which is almost always bad, is a very tedious and expensive proposition. Recently I found a souvenir from my brief ownership of that '36 that I am including below (image #3). I have no idea where the truck is now. If you know tell the owner I have his key!
                Click image for larger version

Name:	36 cab over my old copy.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	1712724 Click image for larger version

Name:	36 cab over my old blue.jpg
Size:	128.6 KB
ID:	1712725Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7543.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	1712726
                Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 03-01-2017, 10:37 PM.
                Richard Quinn
                Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I scanned the 1936 Truck brochure here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ighlight=mogul

Craig

Comment

After owning a bus many years ago I swore never to get one again unless it was based on that model truck. I saw a picture of one in a Studebaker book and decided then and there that that would be the next bus if ever one became available, short bus, as it's the size I would use.

Len

Comment

Originally posted by Skybolt View Post
                      After owning a bus many years ago I swore never to get one again unless it was based on that model truck. I saw a picture of one in a Studebaker book and decided then and there that that would be the next bus if ever one became available, short bus, as it's the size I would use.
                      I wonder if this one will pop up for sale again: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...gslist-6-16-13

Craig

Comment

15 years ago there was a short woodie bus in Bozeman Montana owned by a George Rice, if I recall, as I bought my US6 from him. Anyone know of it's disposition as it was a real beauty?
                        Bill

Comment

i bought a guys hawk collection out of roseville many years ago, i dont recall him having that one. Really cool !

Comment

Working...
                          X