Can you identify this tach?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you identify this tach?

Joe bought this tachometer at the Decatur, Texas swap meet. He was told that it was for a Studebaker, but all of the pictures we found don't show an 8,000 RPM tach. Did any Studebakers use this tach?
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

1955 Speedster 6 Volt. Notice there is no "SW" on the face, not aftermarket, but it IS Stewart Warner made for Studebaker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Gray & White Speedster4.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	1712657 The hard part will be finding the 6 Volt distributor Drive for it, unless it's for looks only.

This picture is a bit scary, 1/2 Tank of Fuel, 190 Degrees, but 0 Oil Pressure & RPM's!
    So either Ign. is in ACC or in "ON" and the Engine is dead.

Bye! gotta get back to the "500"!
    Last edited by StudeRich; 02-26-2017, 12:22 PM.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Get it converted with new guts to operate like newer tachs eliminates the drive between cap and distributor body solves lots of problems

Comment

The mechanical tach drive on the distributor is not 6 or twelve volt. It is simply a brush and commutator switch. It will work with any voltage. It is the tach HEAD that is voltage sensitive.
        Bez Auto Alchemy
        573-318-8948
        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by acolds View Post
          Get it converted with new guts to operate like newer tachs eliminates the drive between cap and distributor body solves lots of problems
          Where can you get it converted?

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
            1955 Speedster 6 Volt. Notice there is no "SW" on the face, not aftermarket, but it IS Stewart Warner made for Studebaker.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62413[/ATTACH] The hard part will be finding the 6 Volt distributor Drive for it, unless it's for looks only.
            Thanks for the info. He will probably take it to South Bend to see if it finds a new owner unless someone talks him out of it before then.
            Searcy, Arkansas
            1952 2R pickup

Comment

I knew Joe got another part at the swap meet. This trim piece is apparently NOS and really nice.
              Attached Files
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]62413[/ATTACH] The hard part will be finding the 6 Volt distributor Drive for it, unless it's for looks only.

This picture is a bit scary, 1/2 Tank of Fuel, 190 Degrees, but 0 Oil Pressure & RPM's!
                So either Ign. is in ACC or in "ON" and the Engine is dead.

Bye! gotta get back to the "500"!
                Actually, Rich, that is almost exactly what my truck gauges read.... right now with the key off. When I turn off the key, the gas gauge stays wherever it was last. My oil p gauge is mechanical, so reads "0" with the engine off. The temp gauge is mechanical, so works regardless of whether the vehicle is on. There isn't even a wire going to it. I have a 180 degree t-stat, but the mechanical temp gauge is in the very back of one of the cylinder heads and reads 5 to 10 degrees hotter than the front sender would. I happened to be at about 1/2 a tank as we drove the truck almost 100 miles today. I also have a tach that is currently on zero as the engine is off.

Comment

Rich, I lucked onto a period correct Stewart Warner tach for my 55. It runs off a wire to the coil. Meets with the Pure Stock rules and all I had to do was reverse the polarity to positive ground. So glad to hear the original Stude unit was also Stewart Warner.
                  Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

Howard, (52-fan) That's a sweet looking 1954 R Series Hood side Emblem!
                    I always liked those Oval ones much better than the same Block Letters without the background used on ''49-'53.

The same Emblem was used on '55's with a Red Background instead of Silver, even MORE impressive!
                    StudeRich
                    Second Generation Stude Driver,
                    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Howard, (52-fan) That's a sweet looking 1954 R Series Hood side Emblem!
                      I always liked those Oval ones much better than the same Block Letters without the background used on ''49-'53.

The same Emblem was used on '55's with a Red Background instead of Silver, even MORE impressive!
                      Yes, Joe has trouble passing up truck parts. This one is unbelievably nice. He doesn't have a 54 so the emblem will probably go to South Bend in May.
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                      X