1929 Studebaker Roadster?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1929 Studebaker Roadster?????

Saw this on Craigslist, but what part of it is Studebakerhttp://lynchburg.craigslist.org/cto/5991581287.html

Dang.... I just saw something about this on Hemmings or some such thing...
    This is a well-known sports roadster built in the 50's.....
    Can't remember what it's called...
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I don't see anything 29 studebaker there.

Comment

Here is a 1929 Studebaker roadster. You be the judge!

Click image for larger version

Name:	composite.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	1712656
        Richard Quinn
        Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

It is a sweet looking little roadster .. I think its a good price as well ..
          I'd drive that car ..
          Love my Lark

Comment

I suppose, if there's a frame plate behind the left front wheel that matches a 1929 Serial No., or a secret number stamped in the frame rail indicating same, that would validate the claim.
            "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

It would be easier to believe it started out as a 1939 something. I can't see one Studebaker part. The car is cute in an early 50s way. It looks like something inspired by Popular Mechanics and Rod&Custom.
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

There's an "S" on the steering wheel.
                KURTRUK
                (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by kurtruk View Post
                  There's an "S" on the steering wheel.
                  Good one!
                  "In the heart of Arkansas."
                  Searcy, Arkansas
                  1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                  1952 2R pickup

Comment

Did anyone notice the listing is from "Rustburg", that's got to be the Studebaker connection.
                    Dan Peterson
                    Montpelier, VT
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                    1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

Avantidon is just down the road if someone needs to have it looked over.
                      Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

I KNEW IT!

In the January 2017 Hemmings Classic Car - Page 12, the Lost & Found column....
                        At the bottom, a small story and picture of this car painted white, relates the story of a Frank Piper of Galesburg, Michigan - who built this car from the frame of a 1931 Studebaker (not a '29) in the late 50's / early 60's.

Obviously, the steering wheel and other interior components, plus the wheels and paint have been changed - but dollars to donuts it's the same car!

If someone has a Hemmings membership (like Bob Palma) will check the online archives, and then pull the complete page - you can see and decide for yourself.
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Correction, Chris.

The article says that the Piperbaker started with a 1941 Studebaker Frame. I think you are right. I think it's the same car. It's had some mods done to it. The ventilators at the foot wells are gone, they've replaced the original wheels with those oversized spoked abominations with low-profile rubber - what I usually see on Escalades around here - and they've added the faux exhaust ports (ala 50's Buicks) at either side of the hood. Looks like the result of a one night stand between a 1950 Buick Super Convertible and a 1940 Bantam Roadster.
                          Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                          Kenmore, Washington
                          hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                          '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                          '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                          '69 Pontiac Firebird
                          (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Sorry about my typo, but thanks for agreeing with me. I wonder what kind of story this car could tell?

Comment

Oh yeah, and who can forget the change of the engine (If it actually was a change from a Stude) to a 240 ci GMC six cylinder with an auto transmission?
                              Mike O'Handley, Cat Herder Third Class
                              Kenmore, Washington
                              hausdok@msn.com

'58 Packard Hawk
                              '05 Subaru Baja Turbo
                              '71 Toyota Crown Coupe
                              '69 Pontiac Firebird
                              (What is it with me and discontinued/orphan cars?)

Comment

Working...
                              X