Mystery Studebaker item- the answer is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mystery Studebaker item- the answer is

Some of you were fairly close. I still don't know how it was installed in a car, but it is a device that played a minature record telling the virtues of an all-new 1950 Studebaker when a prospective customer opened the door to look at the car (an early Highway HiFi ).
    The round paper drum has a phonograph needle attached on the bottom. When activated, the little six-volt electric motor drove the turntable by belt (long since disentegrated). The needle tracked in the record groove and the paper drum amplified the sound. I played it a few times years ago and I wanted to record the message on tape, but... Now the works are rusted and I would need a new belt.

Paul Johnson, Wild and Wonderful West Virginia.
    '64 Daytona Wagonaire, '64 Avanti R-1, Museum R-4 engine, '72 Gravely Model 430 with Onan engine

Just a guess here, Paul, but it looks like a speaker of some sort. I must ask: Are the larger holes on what appears to be the face of it for control knobs???

Jacob Newkirk - Owensboro, KY

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

Just a guess here, Paul, but it looks like a speaker of some sort. I must ask: Are the larger holes on what appears to be the face of it for control knobs???

Currently driving an '87 Ford F-150, but I dream of having a Hawk one day. Don't we all?

KEEP AMERICA BEAUTIFUL! Drive a Studebaker!

Comment

i would say something that gets hot. (I know - I'm a big help)

--george

Comment

i would say something that gets hot. (I know - I'm a big help)

--george

Comment

Looks like a Studebaker mouse trap to me!

The mouse goes in where that piece of metal is and then he chews on the food which is wired so he gets shocked. You pull the lever to get him out.

Leonard Shepherd
            http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Looks like a Studebaker mouse trap to me!

The mouse goes in where that piece of metal is and then he chews on the food which is wired so he gets shocked. You pull the lever to get him out.

Leonard Shepherd
              http://leonardshepherd.com/

Comment

Looks to me like an underseat heater from something older than me.

<h5>Mark
                '57 Transtar
                3E-6/7-122
                </h5>
                [img]
                Mark Hayden
                '66 Commander
                Zone Coordinator
                Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

Looks to me like an underseat heater from something older than me.

<h5>Mark
                  '57 Transtar
                  3E-6/7-122
                  </h5>
                  [img]
                  Mark Hayden
                  '66 Commander
                  Zone Coordinator
                  Pacific Can-Am Zone

Comment

It's a speaker phone that the mechanics used to call the office to tell them that a customer's car was done.

Really, I have no idea.

Matthew Burnette
                    '59 Scotsman
                    '63 Daytona
                    Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

It's a speaker phone that the mechanics used to call the office to tell them that a customer's car was done.

Really, I have no idea.

Matthew Burnette
                      '59 Scotsman
                      '63 Daytona
                      Hazlehurst, GA

Comment

I am perplexed by the fact that it has wires as well as some type of lever handle on the side. However, I can not determine what the purpose of the lever is. Is this a Studebaker automotive item, or is it from a subsidiary company (almost looks like the Big 4 blue).

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

I am perplexed by the fact that it has wires as well as some type of lever handle on the side. However, I can not determine what the purpose of the lever is. Is this a Studebaker automotive item, or is it from a subsidiary company (almost looks like the Big 4 blue).

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Ok !!!!!!1 I'll say it before Biggs identifys it as a head scratching thing-a-ma-jig.Or it could be a whatcha -ma-call-it holder.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Ok !!!!!!1 I'll say it before Biggs identifys it as a head scratching thing-a-ma-jig.Or it could be a whatcha -ma-call-it holder.

David Baggett '53 coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X