Taxi Police Car Ambulance School Bus and Fire Trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taxi Police Car Ambulance School Bus and Fire Trucks

Here is another question that needs chatting about . In the history of Studebaker , it was well known that they would make just about anything if there was a market out there for it . We know that as recently as 1966 there were Police cars made as well as taxi's . But when was the last School bus made and when was the last Ambulet made , or when was the last Fire truck made . I have seen Fire trucks in T.W. for sale as late as 2012 and Taxi's as late as 2014 . Ever wonder how many of each are still around today . I know of one Fire truck owned by Milaca but forgot what year . Is there any registries out there to cover any of these vehicles ?? If not is there anyone out there have the spirit in them to start one ?? Let's find out who is willing to get a registry going . I would love to hear the answer to any of the questions and maybe take a survey at the same time . OK GO it's your turn NOW

Old Fart Terry

I previously wrote an article in TWs on Police Studebakers here in Australia & that we assembled over 350 units from 1961 till 1966. I plan to write a piece this year on Ambulances that we assembled during the sixties again for TWs.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
    MELBOURNE.

Comment

Studebaker did not build school buses per se -- there were/are a number of companies that specialize in taking a chassis/cowl unit and mounting a school bus body on it. For many years, Studebaker offered a long 212" wheel base specifically intended for school buses. They never sold very many and it disappeared and reappeared from the lineup several times. The last time it was in the catalog was for the 1962 7E40 models. Similarly, the company never built fire trucks -- just trucks that could be configured and customized for fire duty.

They did come a lot closer to providing a complete package for taxi companies and police departments, in the sense that they offered to install a wide variety of specialized components (lights, wiring, paint) for specific orders. Still, the customer was expected to finish and customize these vehicles for their unique needs.
      Skip Lackie

Comment

I own a 1946 M-16 fire truck and also had a 1949 2R17A fire truck that George O now owns. I may end up with a '47 as well. Frank Drumheller has a 1946 and used to keep a registry.
        Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Info on Bender bodies here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ed-Studebakers

Some fire trucks: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Dept-Pictures

Australian ambulances here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ight=ambulance

Or an A1 'cowl only' : http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...as-a-new-owner

Or an A2 'cowl with windshield': http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ebaker-Woodies

Craig
          Last edited by 8E45E; 02-23-2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Hi Again Skip : I know what you mean I just can't find the name of the company that built bodies on Studebaker chassis and cowl units and I think they also did Fire trucks . We had a company in Winnipeg that built custom truck boxes in the same manner but when the old man passed away the boys took only a few years to go belly up . I always said old man Laurie turned over in his grave several times . The company started in 1902 . We do have a company called Fort Garry Industries that builds Fire Fighting equipment and they started in 1928 and have expanded 8 times and the last time they are now on 40 acres .

Guido . as far as I have been told Frank no longer does registries a fellow by the name of Dave does them now I don't know if this includes fire trucks or not . Frank or Dave haven't answered my emails yet will wait and see . I am considering doing a registry on Taxis, Police cars , Ambulances ( Ambulet's ) and School Buses and Fire Trucks if frank isn't doing them any more but that would have to wait until I can get this Registry managers List updated and by the looks of it will take some time . If you can get in touch with Frank and see if he is still doing the fire truck registry and then let me know at not4u@nlis.ca it would be of great help . Well guys who is up next for comments .

Old Fart Terry

Comment

Now here is a coincidence: yesterday, I just happened to be in the Pioneer Village Museum near Toowoomba, Australia, and there was a 1964 Cruiser turned into an ambulance. It was nicely restored. It appears to be one of the ten that Craig's link referred to. [sorry, the photo got rotated]

They also had a derelict M16 truck and a bunch of cast iron tractor seats that included one made by the South Bend Chilled Iron Plow Co.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6382.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.9 KB
ID:	1712612Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6377.jpg
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	1712613Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6372.jpg
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	1712614
              Gary Ash
              Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
              ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
              '48 M5
              '65 Wagonaire Commander
              '63 Wagonaire Standard
              web site at http://www.studegarage.com

Comment

How was your trip, BTW?

I read your enquiries on the AACA forum before you went.

Craig

Comment

I sold my 1950 2R16A fire truck with Dakota Fire apparatus last fall to a fella near Grand Rapids, Minnesota. His plans are to remove the fire apparatus and install a fuel tanker body however.
                  sigpic
                  In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by old fart View Post
                    Hi Again Skip : I know what you mean I just can't find the name of the company that built bodies on Studebaker chassis and cowl units and I think they also did Fire trucks . We had a company in Winnipeg that built custom truck boxes in the same manner but when the old man passed away the boys took only a few years to go belly up . I always said old man Laurie turned over in his grave several times . The company started in 1902 . We do have a company called Fort Garry Industries that builds Fire Fighting equipment and they started in 1928 and have expanded 8 times and the last time they are now on 40 acres .

Guido . as far as I have been told Frank no longer does registries a fellow by the name of Dave does them now I don't know if this includes fire trucks or not . Frank or Dave haven't answered my emails yet will wait and see . I am considering doing a registry on Taxis, Police cars , Ambulances ( Ambulet's ) and School Buses and Fire Trucks if frank isn't doing them any more but that would have to wait until I can get this Registry managers List updated and by the looks of it will take some time . If you can get in touch with Frank and see if he is still doing the fire truck registry and then let me know at not4u@nlis.ca it would be of great help . Well guys who is up next for comments .

Old Fart Terry
                    I doubt I will see or speak with Frank before York.
                    Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Phoenix police department drove 61, 62 and 64 Studebakers.
                      Lou Van Anne
                      62 Champ
                      64 R2 GT Hawk
                      79 Avanti II

Comment

Guido : If you do by chance get him to email me at not4u@nlis.ca so we can straighten the registry list out . Thanks

Old Fart Terry

- - - Updated - - -

Guido : If you do by chance get him to email me at not4u@nlis.ca so we can straighten the registry list out . Thanks

Old Fart Terry

Comment

Then there were the 20 1964 Marshals specially made for various police departments for evaluation:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...arshal-dig-out

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...hlight=marshal

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-Car-in-Action

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ives-18-(legs)

Craig

Comment

Milaca :

Hope you kept the guys name who bought the truck and if he isn't a member of the club told him about it . Also debate still going on . Do we go to Duluth or Calgary . The low Canuck dollar is talking louder when you are on a small pension . Take care

Old Fart

- - - Updated - - -

Milaca :

Hope you kept the guys name who bought the truck and if he isn't a member of the club told him about it . Also debate still going on . Do we go to Duluth or Calgary . The low Canuck dollar is talking louder when you are on a small pension . Take care

Old Fart

Comment

Seattle owned lots of Larks. TW did a story on them. 'city 6's " circa 1998?

Don't forget those Zip Vans, There is a good thread or two on this forum about them if you search it.. As well as a very good thread on police cars.

Comment

Working...
                              X