Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

'Survivor' Golden Hawk

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 'Survivor' Golden Hawk

    There's a gorgeous '57 Golden Hawk listed now on the Hartford (Conn) craigslist ......'Survivor' car with 20 thousand original miles (?) just pulled out of 31 year dry storage...NO RUST!

    Black with white fin inserts and T-85 3 speed O/D transmission....completely factory stock....Needs brake work from sitting...No P/S......Owner is asking 32K.

  • #2
    https://hartford.craigslist.org/cto/6006028273.html
    sigpic
    Dave Lester

    Comment


    • #3
      ......Thanks!

      Comment


      • #4
        Folks....I must say when you see green engine overspray on the lower sides of a '57 Golden McCulloch supercharger, you're REALLY going back in time!

        Comment


        • #5
          This GH sold for approx 24K a few years back in dusty, dirty shape....Looks like the new owner did a nice job cleaning it up,..... and now it's for sale again.

          Comment


          • #6
            Wow, very nice.
            Mark L

            Comment


            • #7
              I drove the 850 miles to RI to buy that car when it was advertised late last year. It is a pretty solid car for an eastern car but it is not what it was taunted to be. The owners at that time had inherited the car and were just not aware. The front fenders are bondoed in the usual place, the rocker panels have been replaced with pop rivets, minor rust in the drivers floor, marginal chrome, original very decent interior but don't sit in it in cold weather. Original carpet in it but mostly gone on the drivers side. I assume it was sold after I turned it down and is being resold by the new owner. Good car but not as advertised. Buyer beware!
              Last edited by nels; 02-21-2017, 07:47 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nels View Post
                I drove the 850 miles to RI to buy that car when it was advertised late last year. It is a pretty solid car for an eastern car but it is not what it was taunted to be. The owners at that time had inherited the car and were just not aware. The front fenders are bondoed in the usual place, the rocker panels have been replaced with pop rivets, minor rust in the drivers floor, marginal chrome, original very decent interior but don't sit in it in cold weather. Original carpet in it but mostly gone on the drivers side. I assume it was sold after I turned it down and is being resold by the new owner. Good car but not as advertised. Buyer beware!
                Good info Nels!....There's nothing like an appraisal from someone that's actually seen the car! (and knows what he's looking at!).....Still, a very interesting Golden Hawk!

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                  There's a gorgeous '57 Golden Hawk listed now on the Hartford (Conn) craigslist ......'Survivor' car with 20 thousand original miles (?) just pulled out of 31 year dry storage...NO RUST!
                  That last should have been the first clue to those of us here the sellers are clueless or just liars. It is a given no Studebaker ever survived even 20kmi in CT without rust. Back in the day, New England used more road salt than any area of the country and then and now, no place in CT is very far from the humid coast, so no such thing as dry storage.

                  jack vines
                  PackardV8

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Jack I was always told that they came from the factory with rust.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Reminds me of my '57 Golden Hawk,which was also black and overdrive (not common). The last that I saw "mine" it was white and still in New York State.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

                      SDC member since 1968
                      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Very cool.. The engine is within 100 units of mine.

                        Question: The chrome piece next to the gas door. Is that an option or standard? Don't have that....
                        sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

                        Keeping the passion alive

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Big smooth check with SI they have it. Aftermarket part.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks, I have the catalog and will look. Actually, not sure if I'm a fan of the piece hanging out there alone.
                            sigpic1957 Goldenhawk

                            Keeping the passion alive

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Big Smooth View Post
                              Thanks, I have the catalog and will look. Actually, not sure if I'm a fan of the piece hanging out there alone.
                              I bet you'd like the more subtle 'straight' gas door guard. (same guard, but without the dorsal fin!)...S. I. has that one also!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X