Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some hard brake lines for my 65

Hey guys,
    I'm looking for the hard steel brake lines for my 65 Commander 4door non power brake car. I found one NOS line from master cylinder to front brakes from SI. I still need the lines going to the rear and on the axle. I will probably get them made if I can't find NOS. The one I'm missing is p/n 1561266. I don't even have one to make a copy of the correct bends. Does anyone have any NOS? Thanks!

Nate

If you get in a pinch and can't find NOS, I bought a complete hard line set from Inline Tube for my '61 Lark wagon. They were OK. The front and rear lines fit great, but they lost their minds with the line to the hill holder and sent something that wasn't even close. So I had to cut, tweak the bend and flare the cut in order to make it work. But for your Commander it might be straight forward.
    Last edited by voxnut; 02-14-2017, 06:04 PM.
    Dean Seavers
    Sacramento, CA

Comment

As voxnut said, I've also had good luck with Inline Tube in the past. Never had a hill-holder so can't comment on that but they generally have good fitting stuff.

In candor, I haven't used them lately as I now make my own but they are worth a try. They generally have a presence at most major car shows so they are trying to be a presence in this market.

Bob
      Last edited by sweetolbob; 02-14-2017, 05:58 PM.
      , ,

Comment

Inline Tube does not have factory patterns for Studebakers, so they have to have had someone send them a good set of brake lines to use as patterns. As a result, they sometimes:
        (1) Can't provide anything for some vehicles, or
        (2) Send kits that include some pieces that are not quite right.

In the latter case, I have found them perfectly willing to provide substitutes or partial refunds.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Nate,
          I have NOS lines for the rear end that you can borrow for patterns if you don't find any.
          Jim
          I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Thanks Jim! I'll talk to you about it at York.

Comment

do you lose points in judging if you have ready made brake lines ???? Should you ??? I'd wonder if a 400 pt. car requires them...

Comment

If you do decide to make them up yourself, which isn't all that difficult, be sure to buy a quality brake line flaring tool, not the cheap ones they sell at most autoparts stores, JC Whitney and Harbor Frieght Tools. Ask me how I know....
                Dan Peterson
                Montpelier, VT
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible
                1960 Lark V-8 Convertible (parts car)

Comment

referring to my earlier post: I stopped making up lines years ago. You can buy factory flared lengths at any FLAPS and bend to your heart's content for fitting. If you don't like bends, roll the dice on your flared ends....

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                    referring to my earlier post: I stopped making up lines years ago. You can buy factory flared lengths at any FLAPS and bend to your heart's content for fitting. If you don't like bends, roll the dice on your flared ends....
                    I fully agree. You can buy factory flared 3/16" diameter lines in 10 - 20 - 30 - 40 and 50 inch lengths. If longer is necessary, then connect with a union. Easily bent by hand, but I prefer to use a tube bending tool for a more factory look.

Comment

Originally posted by jackb View Post
                      do you lose points in judging if you have ready made brake lines ???? Should you ??? I'd wonder if a 400 pt. car requires them...
                      Probably depends on criteria--if a two stage paint job doesn't affect it--probably not. Just like arguing that an untouched original car doesn't have the correct set of point and condenser, because the "experts" said so.

Comment

I'm sure that reproduction ready made brake lines wouldn't/shouln't hurt in a judging situation. I just like NOS lines because they fit better than re-made ones. I have used Inline Tube for brake lines on my Jeep Grand Wagoneer, and they fit pretty well. I had to do some re-bending to get it right, but they look good. I will probably go that way; however the one problem I have is I'm missing an original example of part 1561266 so I can't have it reproduced. I also contacted the museum about getting the engineering drawing, but I'm not sure if Inline will make a tube from an engineering drawing. Does anyone have a rusty original line I can use as a pattern?

Nate

Comment

A few years ago I broke out the wallet & bought the flaring tool from Eastwood. It's not cheap (around $200.00) but is so easy to work it's almost a joy. Add the nickel/copper lines (?) that are super easy to bend & you'll be set in no time.
                          59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                          60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                          61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                          62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                          62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                          63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                          63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                          64 Zip Van
                          66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                          66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

Working...
                          X