57 Golden Hawk Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 57 Golden Hawk Question

We are in the process of adding a supercharger and the appropriate gauges to our 57. I have the opportunity to add a positraction (twin-traction?) rear as well. Would this be a disireable option to add, or is it not worth the expense and effort?
    Last edited by JLau; 02-13-2017, 08:43 AM.

It might be a desirable option for others For my money unless you are going to drive the car in snow or go off roading with it; I do not think it is worth the money or effort required.
    Ron

Comment

It is absolutely a REQUIREMENT for Drag Racing. If you ever do that, you will appreciate it a lot, if you do not, maybe it's just bragging rights and you get to add that COOL Twin Circles TT Emblem!
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The need for Twin Traction seems be be highly overrated on this forum. For straight line drag racing...yes. For driving very cautiously on snow covered streets...probably. For the other 99.99% of your driving...no.

Comment

I guess that I was thinking in terms of would it increase the value of the car because it's a rare option kind of thing...

Comment

Originally posted by JLau View Post
            I guess that I was thinking in terms of would it increase the value of the car because it's a rare option kind of thing...
            It's a rare option that at times can be problematic.....stick with the 'open' rear end!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
              It's a rare option that at times can be problematic.....stick with the 'open' rear end!
              It's not rare and they aren't problematic.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                WRONG!...There's a lot more going on inside a sixty year old TT rear end than in a conventional one Matt.....If this GH isn't going to be used in adverse weather conditions, (and 99% of them aren't at this point), The OP's money is best spent elsewhere! (IMHO)

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
                  I believe there were a few '56 Golden Hawks that were equipped with it from the factory, but for the most part '57 was the first year it was available as an option. While exsisting cars that were originally equipped with it from the factory are unusual there are many that have had it added subsequently. It does reduce the amount of wheel spin under severe acceleration. However, it does also slightly reduce a car's ability to hold corners on windy roads.

Mark
                  sigpic

S2Deluxe = (5H - C3).

Comment

Originally posted by S2Deluxe View Post
                    I believe there were a few '56 Golden Hawks that were equipped with it from the factory, but for the most part '57 was the first year it was available as an option. While exsisting cars that were originally equipped with it from the factory are unusual there are many that have had it added subsequently. It does reduce the amount of wheel spin under severe acceleration. However, it does also slightly reduce a car's ability to hold corners on windy roads.

Mark
                    You're probably thinking of Packard, which offered 'posi' in 1956!....Except perhaps on an engineering test car that was later sold off, no 1956 Golden Hawks came with a TT rear end.

Comment

Unless you are doing winter driving or drag racing I would avoid the installation. '57 GH's are desirable enough that the day will come when a potential buyer will turn it down because the TT is not on the production order. I agree with SN-60 that your money could be better spent. But I also take offense at his incessant need to tell others they are "WRONG!..."; about TT, about DG transmissions, or whatever else disagrees with his experience.

Ed needs a chill pill. Opinions can be expressed without raising hackle by exclaiming, "WRONG!!!" Simply relate experience and let the discussion do the influencing.
                      Brad Johnson,
                      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                        Unless you are doing winter driving or drag racing I would avoid the installation. '57 GH's are desirable enough that the day will come when a potential buyer will turn it down because the TT is not on the production order. I agree with SN-60 that your money could be better spent. But I also take offense at his incessant need to tell others they are "WRONG!..."; about TT, about DG transmissions, or whatever else disagrees with his experience.
                        rockne10...I'm sending PM.....your apology is accepted!
                        Last edited by SN-60; 02-14-2017, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                          ...your apology is accepted!
                          None offered.
                          Brad Johnson,
                          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                            None offered.
                            ...............Must be 'pick on SN-60 week'!

Comment

Working...
                            X