Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking at car with salvage title...... hurt value much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking at car with salvage title...... hurt value much?

I am looking at a 59 Silver Hawk that has a salvage title. Looks like it can be rebuilt, at a cost of course. How much does this hurt the long term value and ability to resell?
    51 Studebaker Starlight State Commander Coupe
    53 Studebaker Starlight Regal Commander Coupe
    62 Volvo PV544 Sport

Not much in the restoration world. In a used car world, meaning maybe 10-15 year old cars it plays a part, but a restored salvage vehicle, if done right, won't usually be worth less than a restored non-salvage title car. In fact in many states, you aren't even going to be able to get a title for a vehicle over 25 years old, they are just transferred with a bill of sale. Ever watch "Grave Yard Carz" on Velocity? About the only thing original is the ID plates-talk about salvage. Bet you couldn't tell the difference in sale prices, maybe an original might bring less money.

Comment

I bought a 77 Cutlass S and didn't notice the title said "rebuilt". Dumb on my part, had a terrible time reselling and ended up getting only half what I paid for it even after several improvements to the car. Lesson learned.

- - - Updated - - -

I bought a 77 Cutlass S and didn't notice the title said "rebuilt". Dumb on my part, had a terrible time reselling and ended up getting only half what I paid for it even after several improvements to the car. Lesson learned. Bought in 2013 and sold in 2015.

Comment

I will make a guess that the car could be the one described here:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...raigslist-Find

A very nice car, in my opinion.

Comment

I would document the damage and how it was repaired and I can't see where it would affect the car at all on resale if done right.

Comment

I just had my daily driver turned into a salvage title by the other parties insurance company. I bought the salvage back and will keep the car as it performs perfectly . It will cost several hundred dollars to repair and it was salvaged for $6,000. So inspection of what was the damage to create the salvage title is the most important thing. From my experience insurance companies are taking the easy way out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161222_143557_resized.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	1712387
            mrbobinc

Comment

Back when I was selling tools to body shops, I've seen many repaired cars that probably should have been given "salvage" titles because of the work painted over AFTER the repairs.
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Bob, what did it cost to buy the title back?

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                  Bob, what did it cost to buy the title back?
                  Less than $1,000 dollars. I considered it a good deal for me.
                  mrbobinc

Comment

Just for information, the actual Hagerty Insurance estimate calls for 16 hours in a frame shop to repair the frame. The sheet metal parts and chrome items are obvious.

Comment

Working...
                    X