1990 Avanti 4 doors how many?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1990 Avanti 4 doors how many?

I just got back from AZ with the 1990 Avanti 4door I bought and was wounding how many of these were built? what was the original price range? and how many colors were they?
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Bob

Here's a listing of the specifications but someone else will need to help with the specifics you asked. I thought about one as a daily driver a few years back but prices were just a bit higher than I wanted to spend.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/ma...edan/1990.html

Bob
    Last edited by sweetolbob; 02-05-2017, 01:37 PM.
    , ,

Comment

Some sources say 90 were built: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...door-Avanti-FS

Craig

Comment

That's what I've always heard too Bob. There is another one recently out Arizona that now calls Tracy home.
        Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        Some sources say 90 were built: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...door-Avanti-FS

Craig
        Lou Van Anne
        62 Champ
        64 R2 GT Hawk
        79 Avanti II

Comment

I saw one out in Vegas years ago....The Excalibur Hotel was using it as a courtesy car!
          Attached Files

Comment

I am not at home to look in my records, but my memory says that 97 were built.

EDIT: My memory does not include the price.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

I toured a gentleman's automobile collection near Bob40's home last summer. He must of had at least five of these cars, some of them with no miles on the odometer. He even has the wooden buck used for making the fiberglass body. Very unusual sight.
              sigpic
              In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                I toured a gentleman's automobile collection near Bob40's home last summer. He must of had at least five of these cars, some of them with no miles on the odometer. He even has the wooden buck used for making the fiberglass body. Very unusual sight.
                I know the collection you are referring to: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...ght=youngstown

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...erial-63R-2837

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by Milaca View Post
                  Did you see my former red and white '53 Starliner (Studillac?)

BTW, there's a 4 door Avanti in the Cade collection.

Comment

Wonder if the Dr. Penn (name correct?) over in the Washington D.C. area that distributed these also is still around. He used Hemmings as one of his "store" advertisers, and seems like he really was on top of everything Avanti...

Comment

Matt, does this look familiar? Notice a 4-door Avanti in the background of the garage.

Tag says 1 of 90.....

Three four-door Avantis in the first garage.

Wooden buck in barn.

In another garage, this makes four...

And at least one more on the Avanti display shelf....so that makes at least 5 four-door Avantis in his collection, though maybe only 2 are complete.

Convertibles too! He has an additional convertible in another garage.
                      Last edited by Milaca; 02-07-2017, 06:45 PM.
                      sigpic
                      In the middle of MinneSTUDEa.

Comment

Thanks Brent! He called me looking for Studillac information when he bought the '55 Speedster Studillac from a guy in Michigan. When I told him about my '53, he asked for a price, and mailed a check. It's the one in this picture.

I miss that car, but it needed a lot more restoration work than I would've ever been able to give it.

Last edited by mbstude; 02-05-2017, 05:11 PM.

Comment

Most accurate (from factory records) available in table form Avanti The Complete Story. Info has been available in book form since 2008. Hate to see speculation when I took the time to go thru the factory records where possible. Speculation just adds to confusion

John Hull Author
                          John Hull

Comment

There's one in coming up for sale in that big auction of 250 Studies. It looks like it might be one of the unfinished bodies put on a chassis or maybe just being restored/repaired?.

Last edited by Bordeaux Daytona; 02-06-2017, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Great post John!!
                              sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Working...
                              X