What do you think of "ratrods"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you think of "ratrods"?

I may well be off track in my thinking, but is anyone else getting tired of the "ratrod" disease? Seems like every ad for a #4 or lower car or truck includes "ratrod" in the title, and the listing says "would make a great ratrod"... or they've already rattle-canned cheap black primer over dirt, rust, or whatever, thrown away the hubcaps and paint the wheels red, thrown an Indian blanket on the ragged front seat, and call it a rat rod[}][xx(]

I get the rat rod look; whether it's to my (or your) taste is subjective, and it can be a cool look. There was a 53 Chevy P/U at the Syracuse Nationals this year, professionally restored and rodded to the nth degree- with the paint purposely made to appear worn off and surface rusted on the upper surfaces; NOT my thing, but at least the work was top notch[|)] My problem is the people who try to make a rough car appear to be a custom for the purpose of bilking buyers[V]

Is it just me, or is this getting a little out of hand?

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
    Parish, central NY 13131

I've seen fiberglass bodied rods made to look rusty, kinda strange.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,839.60
    63 Lark 2 door
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I've seen fiberglass bodied rods made to look rusty, kinda strange.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,839.60
      63 Lark 2 door
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

It is an unfortunate term applied by people that know not what a real hot rod is.
        Just Marketing 101 as used by the used car, parts, and Ebay world....
        If you want to see what makes this an inflammatory and somewhat incindiary term,
        you should go over to the H.A.M.B. or Hot Rod Cafe and see the three
        or four thousand replies to post's regarding the use of this term in the traditional, or 'old school' hot rod world.
        Once an adjective get's annointed and it becomes popular, then there will always be a group that shy's away from it.
        In this case, the traditional hot rod guys are running away screaming.
        Me? I don't care.
        Using the term Rat Rod tells me more about the seller, or writer than I really need (or want) to know.
        Sort of like putting WOW in your Ebay ad...[xx(]
        Warning flares go off in my head..
        Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bams50

I may well be off track in my thinking, but is anyone else getting tired of the "ratrod" disease? Seems like every ad for a #4 or lower car or truck includes "ratrod" in the title, and the listing says "would make a great ratrod"... or they've already rattle-canned cheap black primer over dirt, rust, or whatever, thrown away the hubcaps and paint the wheels red, thrown an Indian blanket on the ragged front seat, and call it a rat rod[}][xx(]

I get the rat rod look; whether it's to my (or your) taste is subjective, and it can be a cool look. There was a 53 Chevy P/U at the Syracuse Nationals this year, professionally restored and rodded to the nth degree- with the paint purposely made to appear worn off and surface rusted on the upper surfaces; NOT my thing, but at least the work was top notch[|)] My problem is the people who try to make a rough car appear to be a custom for the purpose of bilking buyers[V]

Robert (Bob) Andrews Owner- Studebakeracres- on the IoMT (Island of Misfit Toys!)
        Parish, central NY 13131

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

It is an unfortunate term applied by people that know not what a real hot rod is.
          Just Marketing 101 as used by the used car, parts, and Ebay world....
          If you want to see what makes this an inflammatory and somewhat incindiary term,
          you should go over to the H.A.M.B. or Hot Rod Cafe and see the three
          or four thousand replies to post's regarding the use of this term in the traditional, or 'old school' hot rod world.
          Once an adjective get's annointed and it becomes popular, then there will always be a group that shy's away from it.
          In this case, the traditional hot rod guys are running away screaming.
          Me? I don't care.
          Using the term Rat Rod tells me more about the seller, or writer than I really need (or want) to know.
          Sort of like putting WOW in your Ebay ad...[xx(]
          Jeff[8D]

quote:Originally posted by bams50

Parish, central NY 13131

HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

My two cents... I like rat rods. e.g. there's a hot rod shop near my dad's place, their shop truck is a kinda beat looking '32 Ford (or A with a '32 grille? I am not so good with my Ford identification) with a SBC. they drive it. I like it. What I *don't* like is high dollar vehicles that are deliberately given a patina to appear like a "rat rod..." I don't see the point. Anyone driving a *real* rat rod, if they had the money and time, would make it nicer...

nate

--
            55 Commander Starlight
            http://members.cox.net/njnagel
            --
            55 Commander Starlight

Comment

My two cents... I like rat rods. e.g. there's a hot rod shop near my dad's place, their shop truck is a kinda beat looking '32 Ford (or A with a '32 grille? I am not so good with my Ford identification) with a SBC. they drive it. I like it. What I *don't* like is high dollar vehicles that are deliberately given a patina to appear like a "rat rod..." I don't see the point. Anyone driving a *real* rat rod, if they had the money and time, would make it nicer...

nate

--
              55 Commander Starlight
              --
              55 Commander Starlight

Comment

quote:[i]Originally posted by N8N
                What I *don't* like is high dollar vehicles that are deliberately given a patina to appear like a "rat rod..." I don't see the point. Anyone driving a *real* rat rod, if they had the money and time, would make it nicer...

nate

--
                55 Commander Starlight
                We used to call them "unfinished" or "in process"

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                Lewisville,NC
                sigpic
                1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                Lewisville,NC

Comment

quote:[i]Originally posted by N8N
                  What I *don't* like is high dollar vehicles that are deliberately given a patina to appear like a "rat rod..." I don't see the point. Anyone driving a *real* rat rod, if they had the money and time, would make it nicer...

nate

--
                  55 Commander Starlight
                  We used to call them "unfinished" or "in process"

1961 Hawk 4BC,4-SPEED,TT

Ken Byrd
                  Lewisville,NC
                  sigpic
                  1961 Hawk ...4-Speed;4bc;Twin Traction

Ken Byrd
                  Lewisville,NC

Comment

I like the concept behind the "rat rod" movement. Taking a less than perfect body, dropping the suspension, putting in a hopped-up, but not necessarily modern engine and not being afraid to drive it is a sweeter deal that building a smoothed and modernized car with little to make it unique and parking it at a rod run.
                    What I don't like is the excessive body drop to the point of being impractical, and the bad boy image complete with slutty looking women that is portrayed in the magazines devoted to that type of car. The overall effect is a trashy image that I could not particpate in.
                    As for the faux barn finds. I appreciate the art in faking it well, but I like that look better on the real thing because they have a history to go with the look.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
                    sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

I like the concept behind the "rat rod" movement. Taking a less than perfect body, dropping the suspension, putting in a hopped-up, but not necessarily modern engine and not being afraid to drive it is a sweeter deal that building a smoothed and modernized car with little to make it unique and parking it at a rod run.
                      What I don't like is the excessive body drop to the point of being impractical, and the bad boy image complete with slutty looking women that is portrayed in the magazines devoted to that type of car. The overall effect is a trashy image that I could not particpate in.
                      As for the faux barn finds. I appreciate the art in faking it well, but I like that look better on the real thing because they have a history to go with the look.

1952 Champion Starlight, 1962 Daytona, 1947 M5. Searcy,Arkansas
                      sigpic

"In the heart of Arkansas."
                      Searcy, Arkansas
                      1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
                      1952 2R pickup

Comment

I think the fad has just about run its course. The backlash is getting stronger, and all those who think themselves to be trendsetters are looking for another way to stand out from the madding crowd.

After all, the rat rod trend was a backlash against the Boyd Coddington's and Chip Foose's of the world. When Boyd & Chip built their own ratters under pressure of a customer's big bucks - that's a big sign that the jig is up.

Chris Pile
                        StudeFolk Manager
                        http://tiny.cc/RYqAK
                        The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

I think the fad has just about run its course. The backlash is getting stronger, and all those who think themselves to be trendsetters are looking for another way to stand out from the madding crowd.

After all, the rat rod trend was a backlash against the Boyd Coddington's and Chip Foose's of the world. When Boyd & Chip built their own ratters under pressure of a customer's big bucks - that's a big sign that the jig is up.

Chris Pile
                          StudeFolk Manager
                          http://tiny.cc/RYqAK
                          The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
                            Jeff
                            [:0] OUCH! What happens then, Jeff? [?][:0] BP
                            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

quote:Originally posted by DEEPNHOCK
                              Jeff
                              [:0] OUCH! What happens then, Jeff? [?][:0] BP
                              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
                              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Working...
                              X