Decoding the VIN Number on a 1948 Studebaker Champion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decoding the VIN Number on a 1948 Studebaker Champion

Hi, I would like to know if the 6 digit VIN on the 1948 Champions can be decoded like other more modern VINs on older vehicles. I was able to find an accurate decoder for my 1966 Ford Galaxie 500 XL Convertible and that helped a great deal with the accurate paint codes, the verification of the engine, determining production sequence, etc. - Is that possible on the 1948 Champions?

If so, can you please point me in the right direction?

I'm new to the world of Studebakers, so if this sounds like a newbie question...sorry, but it is!

Thanks for your help,
    Sergio
    Best Regards,
    Sergio
    1948 Champion Regal Deluxe

The serial # tells very little about the car. It will give you and idea of its place in the years production. One blessing of owning a Studebaker is that the Studebaker National Museum has the production order for your car and will, for a fee, send you a copy. It will tell you how your car was equipped when it left the factory.

https://studebakermuseum.org/archive...ur-studebaker/

I see in another you ask about accessory lists. There are catalogs of accessories for each year. Someone may post a picture of one for 1948.

Look over the SDC web site for much information and join the club to get our monthly magazine. I know there are active chapters of the club in Florida. Make contact with one and you can get a real introduction to the hobby.

Welcome aboard.
    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
    50 Champion 2 door*
    53 Commander K Auto*
    53 Commander K overdrive*
    55 President Speedster
    62 GT 4Speed*
    63 Avanti R1*
    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Welcome to the SDC and to the SDC Forum Sergio!

Sorry but as Don said, there is little info to be found in the Serial Numbers of 40's and 50's Cars and ALL Studebakers.

We would only know which of the 3 Plants built it, that it is a 1948, a Champion and it's Final Line Sequence Number from your Serial Number.

The Body Tag on the Right Hand, Engine side, of the Firewall will tell you your Year Model, Champion or Commander, Body Type/Style, Trim Level and it's sequence on the BODY Line only.
      Most of this you can see by looking at the Car.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Don, thank you very much for the link and the information. This will help a great deal.

Best Regards,
        Sergio
        Best Regards,
        Sergio

Comment

Hi StudeRich, thank you for the info. I had a hunch that the engine ID tag would come into play with more info, given that the VIN number only has 6 digits...and how much can you encode in 6 digits.

Thanks again,
          Sergio
          Best Regards,
          Sergio

Comment

Not really on the "Engine" Number.
            It has little connection to the Other 2 I.D.'s, it would be a Stamping INTO the Cast Iron not a Tag, on the Front of the Left Side of the Block near the Top.
            StudeRich

Comment

Thank you StudeRich, I'll look into that ID, which I haven't seen yet.

Sergio
              Best Regards,
              Sergio

Comment

Hi Don, I went ahead and ordered the Production Sheet for the car. Lets see what that show. It was $48, but that's OK if it provides good information.

Thanks again,
                Sergio
                Best Regards,
                Sergio

Comment

Check for a placard on the bottom side of the glove box liner (the side facing the passenger floor). If it's still there and readable, it will have the paint code for the exterior color.
                  Mark L

Comment

Sergio,
                    The single item that will provide the most information we can interpret for you here will be the body tag that is attached to the firewall under the hood on the passenger side. The production order will indicate the original color, upholstery material, black wall or white wall tires, radio and other options, as well as the date of production and dealer destination. It will also include the body tag identification.
                    "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                    sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Thank you Mark. I'll look at it this weekend and check if its still there.

Sergio
                      Best Regards,
                      Sergio

Comment

Rockne10, the plate on the firewall (passenger side) reads -- 7GW514596. Is there a master lookup table where these fields are listed? -- Based on my research, I've gathered that the 7G is the code for a Champion. The rest, I still haven't figured out.

Best Regards,
                        Sergio
                        Best Regards,
                        Sergio

Comment

7G tells you it's a 1948 Champion
                          W5 tells you it's a 4 door sedan with the top trim line #5
                          14596 is the body number.

Comment

Hi TWChamp, what does "with the top trim line #5" mean? Currently, my car is all green (exterior). What is a "top trim line # 5"?
                            Best Regards,
                            Sergio

Comment

A W5 is a Regal Deluxe 4 Door Sedan, the Best (Top of Line) Trim for a 1948 Champion.

It would have Stainless Steel Mouldings around the Front and Rear Glass and Door Windows, and better Interior with Carpet at least in the Rear seat area, if not both Front AND rear!
                              A big deal in those days, all lower line Studes. all Trucks and all Models of some lower cost Makes, had only Rubber Floor coverings.

Also other details were Standard on Regal Deluxe that were Optional on cheaper Trim Level W1 Custom, and W3 Deluxe 4 Doors.

It is also the 14,596th. '48 Champion W5 Body welded up on the Body Line, not to be confused with the Final Assembly Line for the complete Car.

When you find the Car Serial Number if it is a South Bend Plant built car, it will be between
                              G-314501, the 1st. '48 Champion, and G-400501, the First '49.
                              Last edited by StudeRich; 01-31-2017, 11:34 PM.
                              StudeRich

Comment

Working...
                              X