• Show
Clear All

• Starlight
    replied
    fargoguy....PM sent

Leave a comment:

• studebaker-R2-4-me
    replied
    I could not agree more. Someone stole the dash and are not going to jail for it. That speedo is worth that to some buyers.

Allen

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
    Bob,
    I think someone stole that dash for a mere $750.
    I sold one of those speedos years ago for almost that much. An entire dash in that condition with all the goodies there was a very good deal for that price. Just my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• Dwain G.
    replied
    Originally posted by ntreaster View Post
    I got the OHV 6 Engine Running!

Transmission will not go into gear. So it needs a rebuild or replacement. I'm going to try and find replacement parts for it, and rebuild it.
    Having water in the trans is good reason to go through it. But be sure to check the converter too. It is not uncommon for this trans to strip out the internal splines in the the converter.

Leave a comment:

• Jett289
    replied
    If your still looking for some parts specially the dash I found this on the Winnipeg Manitoba Kijiji site .. By the sounds of it this might be a great deal .. Canadian money is at a low compared to US money .. Its not mine.. Hope this link works .. I'm enjoying this link and thanks for the updates ..

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-engines-and-e...ationFlag=true

Leave a comment:

• abkco
    replied
    I was high bidder on that dash, until someone came in and sniped it at the last minute. Oh well. Yes, it was a good deal, but it did have some cigarette damage.

Leave a comment:

• PackardV8
    replied
    You made the correct decision to get it running and keep it original. You'll soon be enjoying it. Most first-timers underestimate the time, effort and cost of chasing down all the little parts necessary to swap engines and or transmission types.

jack vines

Leave a comment:

• sals54
    replied
    Originally posted by 6hk71400 View Post
    Dash sold for $750.00. Just a FYI

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ
    Bob,
    I think someone stole that dash for a mere $750.
    I sold one of those speedos years ago for almost that much. An entire dash in that condition with all the goodies there was a very good deal for that price. Just my thoughts.

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    It's pretty ugly what previous owners car do, but it looks like you are on top of it.

Leave a comment:

• ntreaster
    replied
    Quick Little Update:

Decided to Pull the Transmission and try and rebuild it. I'm currently working on reassembling the transmission. Hoping to have it reassembled by tomorrow and reinstall it over the weekend.

The car came with a "Flight-O-Matic" transmission according to the build sheet. But it's actually a Borg Warner Model 35 Aluminium transmission. I gave it the old magnet test. So I did order the build sheet, and I did order the Studebaker Repair Manual.

The previous owner botched the oil pan bolts, and cracked the housing. It's pretty ugly!!! I'm going to try and repair that as much as possible with a new bolt.

I also ordered a rebuild kit with all the clutches and seals and so on. It's been a learning process so far. I found a nice Borg Warner Model 35 Repair Manual document. It's been very helpful and in my opinion more useful than the repair manual. I have tried to be as methodical as possible, triple checking over and over again. I have been putting the vacuum cleaner to work pull little particles of dirt out of the assembly.

At this point I'm fairly optimistic this actually might work. But we all know the fun and frustration of a good project car!

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1712844
    After Pulling Transmission

Name:	IMG_20170214_191548.jpg
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	1712837
    After Taking Transmission to Car Wash

Name:	IMG_20170215_190216.jpg
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	1712838

Name:	unnamed (1).jpg
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1712845

Name:	IMG_20170308_205309.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1712839
    Waiting Extension Housing Bushing from Studebaker International

Name:	IMG_20170308_205318.jpg
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	1712840

Name:	unnamed (3).jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	1712846
    Part Number Tag worn off, or replaced.

Name:	Screenshot_20170310-085100.jpg
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	1712841

Name:	IMG_20170309_210356.jpg
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	1712842

Model 35 Aluminium Housing Not The Damage From Previous Owner

Name:	IMG_20170309_210330.jpg
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	1712843
    Current Stage, Reassembling from Rear Pump

Leave a comment:

• jackb
    replied
    read the above on how much you'll have to "chase" parts to go from auto to manual...! Your quickest way to get on the road is to ask around for any 6 banger tranny from 59-64 (66?). Can you see all the floor, frame, mountings, pedals & column/rods' workthat's involved ? If you go that route... you won't be driving your car for months.... just get a good, used auto tranny...even if you have to pay $100. for one and hit the road.....GL

Leave a comment:

• ntreaster
    replied
    I put the pan back on and reinstalled the driveshaft. Filled the transmission to the dipstick line. I pulled her down into all the gears but nothing happened. When I start the car it has a nice metal to metal sound. Its properly toasted.

I'm going to go ahead and pull the engine/transmission in the coming weeks. I'll pull the transmission apart and inspect it. I'll see how motivated I am to rebuild this transmission. Using the links you guys gave me I think I have found a guide, and the source for parts. Its been a year or two since I sat through my transmission class.

Once the transmission it I'll have a better idea about rebuilding this, or swapping it for the Studebaker Manual that I have. I guess I'm more concerned about getting this thing out on the road, and having a bunch of fun with it instead of sweating all the details to keep it super original. Again I'll know how motivated I am once the engine/trans gets pulled, nothing has to be absolutely permanent.

Leave a comment:

• jclary
    replied
    Just to be clear, are you saying the transmission will not respond to shifting? Or...is the column shifter stuck and will not move?

In either case, you look to have scored a good buy and I hope your fresh eyes will offer the car a better chance of surviving than whatever discouragement caused the previous owner to part with it.

Leave a comment:

• r1lark
    replied
    Would this be a flight-0-matic Transmission?
    Yes, but.........since it's a '64 six cylinder car, it is most likely the much lighter duty Model 35 Borg-Warner transmission. This transmission is significantly different than the cast iron Model 8 Flightomatic used with V8s, and in six cylinders up thru 1962. The exception would be if your '64 is a heavy duty-type (ie, police car, taxi, etc).

This transmission is not nearly as robust as the cast iron Model 8.

BTW, these transmissions don't like low fluid level, so make sure the fluid is checked per the correct method (engine running and foot on brake, move lever from neutral to low and back to neutral a couple of times; check fluid with engine still running and trans in park or neutral). If it is low, and adding some fluid allows it to engage, then drive it some to get the transmission fluid hot and recheck the level. Keep us informed of what you find.
    Last edited by r1lark; 02-02-2017, 06:58 AM. Reason: added information on tranny fluid

Leave a comment:

• RadioRoy
    replied
    Yes it is.

Leave a comment:

• ntreaster
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X