64 Hawks in Oz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 64 Hawks in Oz

Interesting. A reputable auction house, www.lloydsauctions.com.au , is auctioning a 64 Hawk. It's a very nice car, lot 34 in this weekends up coming auction. Click on the big picture.
    However, they claim (and really should know better) the vehicle is "believed to be the only 64 Hawk in Oz"
    Got me wondering how many came out back in the day, as import and CKD, and how many survive. I know of 2 64's in West Australia alone, and a lovely red one in Melbourne. Anyone know what our quota was/ how many 64's survive?? I am busting to send an email to LLoyds. Pictures would be good......... Q

Definitely not the 'only' '64 there!!

They are close on their count of the number made of 1,767, and of that figure, 13% of '64 Hawk production was exported, and some of which went to Australia. And in subsequent years, a fair number in North America have been since sold to Australian buyers, including this one a few years ago: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...49-Last-chance

Craig

Comment

Jim Quigley is the man who knows exactly as he worked for the Australian importer at the time and currently owns one of the cars.
      I'm sure he will chime in and set the record straight.
      There was rumour of one being in WA at one time but the trail went cold.
      I think the number of rhd Hawks sent over was 4
      Q the 2 hawks you know of are they lhd ?
      There is probably plenty of 64's but the originals were rhd.
      The Hawk in question is however probably the only 65 Hawk in the world.
      pb
      Last edited by 63r2; 01-24-2017, 04:42 AM.

Comment

We assembled RHC 1963 GT Hawks from boxed CKD units here in Melbourne which were sold up till mid 1966 in Australia. We imported 5 new RHC South Bend assembled '64 Hawks during 1964 of which a confirmed 3 survive. A nominal number of LHC '64 Hawks have been imported since. The Strato Blue image is mine which I've owned since 1970. Woking for the Studebaker assembler here in Melbourne at the time I did the pre delivery services on all 5 imports.Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01266.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	1712173

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
        MELBOURNE.

Comment

I know New Zealand is not Australia but I just sent a 64 R-1 powershift to New Zealand the Strato Blue one from San Francisco. and a White 64 standard model to the UK.
          Candbstudebakers
          Castro Valley,
          California

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
            I know New Zealand is not Australia but I just sent a 64 R-1 powershift to New Zealand the Strato Blue one from San Francisco. and a White 64 standard model to the UK.
            Bob, You will be pleased to know that the new owner, Bruce Ellwood, has been in contact with me by phone & email whereby I will help him with photos of mine plus what advice I can offer in the quest to have his new purchase restoration reasonably complete during 2017.

\"QUIGLEY DOWN UNDER\"
            MELBOURNE.

Comment

Good to know Jim, that is the one we watched here for Years as the price fell, it had that weird missing top Coat of Stratto Blue on the Right Front Fender and Hood. That was a Great condition, well equipped '64 GT W/Powershift.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Working...
              X