Very very minor complaint/request

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very very minor complaint/request

I am almost embarrassed to bring this up. In addition to monitoring the forum, I usually keep two or three tabs open at the same time. Usually, craigslist, and ebay. While watching TV, or enjoying my morning coffee, I often toggle back & forth between sites, depending on what grabs my attention. On craigslist, and ebay, (and many other sites)once you click on a picture, you can use your "arrow" keys to run through posted pictures. On our forum, you must click on each thumb pic individually. However, I have become so accustomed to using the arrow keys on other sites so much, that I find myself habitually trying the same for multiple pics posted on our forum.

This is not a huge problem, and more of a tiny irritant. However, if it does not require "trip to the moon" technology, or effort, I wonder if our forum could be upgraded/configured to where the arrow keys could be utilized to quickly toggle through multiple pics in a post? It would bring picture viewing seamlessly in line with how pics are switched and viewed with other sites.

I don't know if anyone else has wondered about this, or even cares. For someone who remembers a Grandmother who washed clothes outdoors in a black cast iron wash-pot, killed & plucked her chickens for lunch, milked the cow, churned butter...I feel like the spoiled kid impatiently standing before a microwave oven shouting HURRY UP! If we never get this little feature, it won't keep me away. Having this forum is still the best fun I have had with a computer.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

John, I have thought the same thing about the pics on our forum... and I'm sure there are others as well! I think it is the single best thing the programmers could to do improve the "forum experience." Thank you for suggesting it.
    After that we can tackle the search feature... 😉
    Mike Davis
    Regional Manager, North Carolina
    1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

They've messed with the search feature before and, imho, it has always turned out worse. So, they put it back as is.

Comment

Really John? You would think that with 24,000 Posts I would have noticed or cared about that!

I just went to the Chuck Naugle Sale String, and scanned to Post #84 and it brought up a Series of photos, I clicked on, Enlarged and viewed one, then clicked "Next" and got the next. how much better than that could it be?

Then there are the full size ones, like #86 that all you have to do is scan down to see them all.

Of course, some are from Computers and others from a Hosting site, and size does matter as to how they display and function.

Even the % of Zoom you are using (I am always at 125% to fill the 20 Inch Screen and actually be able to READ the type without squinting) also your screen size matters.

Sorry, but I don't SEE a problem!
        Last edited by StudeRich; 01-22-2017, 09:01 PM.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
          Really John? You would think that with 24,000 Posts I would have noticed or cared about that!

I just went to the Chuck Naugle Sale String, and scanned to Post #84 and it brought up a Series of photos, I clicked on, Enlarged and viewed one, then clicked "Next" and got the next. how much better than that could it be?

Then there are the full size ones, like #86 that all you have to do is scan down to see them all.

Of course, some are from Computers and others from a Hosting site, and size does matter as to how they display and function.

Even the % of Zoom you are using (I am always at 125% to fill the 20 Inch Screen and actually be able to READ the type without squinting) also your screen size matters.

Sorry, but I don't SEE a problem!
          Gee Rich, I am so humbled that you would take the time to respond to my thread. I wouldn't be so bold as to presume what you notice or cared about. There was only one Great Carnack

However, the thread regarding Chuck Naugle is an excellent example. You referenced post number 84. In that post, the pics are in the form of small thumb pics. Clicking on them individually enlarges them, and the cursor aligns perfectly because the thumb pics are all the same size. However, not all thumbs align so easy, and you find yourself chasing the "next" button. A good example is way back in post number 11. Your next reference is the full size pics in post number 86. A very enjoyable group of pictures indeed! And in this example, the pictures can quickly be "scrolled" using the up & down arrow keys. My request is that once you click on one small thumb pic in a post...it will activate the feature that allows the arrow keys to quickly navigate through all pics in that post.

It is not a big issue, and I'm certainly not going to make it a hill to die on. In fact, I just realized that I probably posted this under the wrong forum heading. (Probably should have posted it under "Club & Forum" discussions)

John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

John, I again agree with you. I'm happy that some people see no problem with the way it is. I suppose some people didn't see a problem with cars that had no air conditioning...why, just open the windows! (As a fellow southerner, I think we both understand what I mean here.) If I am reading you correctly, all you are modestly suggesting, and I am heartily concurring with, is that most "modern" websites now have a scrollable, more user-friendly way of moving through a series of pictures, so why can't we? The current method is especially cumbersome on my tablet, which is how I access the forum more and more often.
            I'd like to hear from those who are more knowledgeable about web design to see how difficult it would be to implement the feature you are suggesting.
            Last edited by StudeNewby; 01-23-2017, 05:40 AM. Reason: corrected typo
            Mike Davis
            Regional Manager, North Carolina
            1964 Champ 8E7-122 "Stuey"

Comment

Working...
            X