Champ factory order weirdness...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Champ factory order weirdness...

So I am still kicking around the idea of trying to finish a 7E5 Champ pickup I was given almost 20 years ago. Just to satisfy my curiosity (and support the SNM), I ordered a production order for the truck.

Copy of that production order came in today and it indicates that the truck was a "Rush Sold" which I seem to remember meant it was ordered by a customer so get it done. On the paperwork, it indicates this six cylinder truck was equipped (and I assumed ordered that way) with a PCV valve and heavy duty front springs - but only HD front springs - someone live on a really rough road and did not want it bottoming out?

Also hope everyone's new year has gotten off to a good start - I teach middle school students, so we will leave how my year is going at that...

Last edited by 62champ; 01-20-2017, 06:00 PM.

Maybe a REALLY Heavy Driver? Or... a Snowplow!

On a Truck, if one anticipated heavier loads, usually Heavy Duty REAR Springs were ordered, as were 1/2 Tons with optional 3/4 Ton rear two stage, 13 leave springs.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Does the DEV# mean an approved deviation because of some problem like maybe they ran out of the normal springs?
      Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
      50 Champion 2 door*
      53 Commander K Auto*
      53 Commander K overdrive*
      55 President Speedster
      62 GT 4Speed*
      63 Avanti R1*
      64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
        Does the DEV# mean an approved deviation because of some problem like maybe they ran out of the normal springs?
        That is an interesting point...it was close to the end of production for 7Es...so who can tell...

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
          I think Don nailed it. If you look in the 7E/8E parts manual, these springs have a notation of "Note 1", which indicates there was a short span in production that all 7E5, 7E7, and 7E12 trucks appeared to get these springs. For the 7E5 it was around 84 or so trucks, and the serial number of this truck falls into the range documented in the parts manual.

As far as the PCV valve, perhaps the original use for the truck would require a lot of time sitting at idle where a PCV system would be very beneficial over a draft tube.
          Paul
          Winston-Salem, NC
          Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
            I think Don nailed it. If you look in the 7E/8E parts manual, these springs have a notation of "Note 1", which indicates there was a short span in production that all 7E5, 7E7, and 7E12 trucks appeared to get these springs. For the 7E5 it was around 84 or so trucks, and the serial number of this truck falls into the range documented in the parts manual.
            Thanks - My 7E parts catalog is dated December 1961, so that would explain why it would not have any information about anything like that. If I can get the truck back together, I am sure that OHV 6 will not cause any sagging in the front end .

Comment

Working...
            X