More Stude Truck Parts from Russia?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Stude Truck Parts from Russia?

At this afternoon's chapter meeting, some guys were joking around about maybe Trumps' new deals with Russia would open up trades so we could get back a bunch of Studebaker trucks and parts that went to Russia during WWII. Trade wheat for truck parts?

It was laugh-worthy for a few minutes, anyway.
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Would be interesting to know how much in spare parts actually went there - chances are pretty good that it was minimal at best - the shelf life of a vehicle in a war setting is probably measured in months - and once the war was over, those vehicle were used until there was nothing left. If there was anything left, Putin would probably trade them for taking over the rest of Ukraine, "so we can liberate more parts..."

Comment

I believe the Russians built Studebaker copy army trucks until at least the 70s.

I would not be surprised if there are more spare parts there than here.

I imagine they'll want dollars though instead of wheat.
      Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

I'd take the wheat before the dollars.

Jim

Comment

With the US6's being the primary truck in building the Alaska Highway, there were literally tons of parts shipped with them. Years ago I met a fellow who's Dad (back in the 60's or 70's) had the contract to go up & down the highway staging sites and dig up stashes of parts buried in the muskeg. They were hauled to Edmonton Alberta for scrap value. He said they looked like new as they were all wrapped in a cosmoline(?) treated special paper product.
          On a different note, a couple of years ago, I was contacted by someone from this forum who was from Russia and was interested in purchasing my US6, shipping it back and having it restored. This leads me to believe if they were prepared to go to that extent for one, then the ones we shipped to Russia must be all long gone. The shipping realities stepped in and it never happened.
          Bill

Comment

I have perhaps 100 8x10" glossy photos of Studebaker 6X6 and 6X4's during production and in action. Here is an interesting four page illustrated article from the May 15, 1944 issue of Automotive and Aviation Industries that I recently copied. If anyone is interested price is $10 delivered.

Click image for larger version

Name:	p1-4 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1712048Click image for larger version

Name:	p 2-3 copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	144.8 KB
ID:	1712049
            Last edited by Studebaker Wheel; 01-16-2017, 10:19 AM.
            Richard Quinn
            Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Years ago I met a fellow who's Dad (back in the 60's or 70's) had the contract to go up & down the highway staging sites and dig up stashes of parts buried in the muskeg. They were hauled to Edmonton Alberta for scrap value. He said they looked like new as they were all wrapped in a cosmoline(?) treated special paper product.
              That is a darn shame, ain't it?
              The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by Buzzard View Post
                With the US6's being the primary truck in building the Alaska Highway, there were literally tons of parts shipped with them. Years ago I met a fellow who's Dad (back in the 60's or 70's) had the contract to go up & down the highway staging sites and dig up stashes of parts buried in the muskeg. They were hauled to Edmonton Alberta for scrap value. He said they looked like new as they were all wrapped in a cosmoline(?) treated special paper product.
                Cosmoline is still around . . . . .

http://www.cosmolinedirect.com/?gcli...rIQaAi6-8P8HAQ
                Skip Lackie

Comment

http://www.mapleleafup.net/forums/showthread.php?t=7642

I am interested in knowing how many WW11 Studebaker US6 are still around.
                  I have several items for these trucks for sale from the 29 Studebaker parts inventories I bought over the years.
                  These trucks used the Hercules JXD engines the were also used in the large Studebaker trucks of the late '30.
                  These engines were also used in White Scoutcars and searchlights at the time.
                  Many lift trucks and industrial cranes used them also.

Robert Kapteyn
                  studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Working...
                  X