Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GOODBYE- MY LAST POST ON THIS FORUM

... for 2007!

I wanted to take a minute to wish you all a Happy and Prosperous New Year!

This year I had plenty of Studebaker highlights; road trips with my trusty old tow dolly bringing home Studes, the International Meet in SB and the great time I had meeting total strangers that offered to rebuild the T-86 in Molly the Lark wagon, driving the wheels off said Lark; and many more[^] Of course for me, it was meeting some of you in person, and making new friends, as well as getting to know our group here a little better!

A little while back, Biggs expressed his displeasure with my deepening involvement with Studebakers in a thread about my latest acquisitions... I didn't get any explanation when I asked, but it probably has to do with the fact that in just the approximately 3 years I've been involved with Studes, I've amassed a collection of several, and am always seem to be looking for more. The concern probably is I'll get more than I can handle, and neglect them; a reasonable concern. But I pledge, that is not the case.

About 4 years ago I was "encouraged" into retirement from my oval-track racing career due to health concerns- issues with my neck, and a few too many major concussions ostensibly putting me at risk should I get another. No one here knows me from racing, but I can tell you I had a pretty successful 24 years as a driver. It so happens I have a natural gift behind the wheel; my strongest gift. So when I hung up my helmet, it was one of the hardest things I've done! Even now, it's hard to watch, and hard for me not to be involved. Most all my long-term friends are still there doing their thing. I accept that my 46 year old body just cannot absorb that punishment like it did 30+ years ago; I still have the handskills, reflexes, endurance... what is harder now is blasting into a wall at 130 MPH, or sliding upside down with other cars bouncing off you. Fun, but punishing... Those times aren't that frequent, but they DO happen...

So what's my point? I know life is made up of stages. Racing was a great stage, but that time is over. But I've always been a high-energy guy, and something needed to fill up that big hole where racing was. I've always had a strong love of old cars, and knew when my racing was done I'd get more involved with them. My experience in all aspects of repair/restoration would come in handy. So when it came time to go down that road, I assumed it would be Big 3 cars, as my knowledge with them all is fairly extensive. I've recounted how I got into Studes before, so I won't repeat it now. But I had no idea the marque would capture my fancy as it has! I think this was exacerbated by finding this great Club and Forum, and the great folks here who are always quick to help me beat back the frontiers of my own ignorance[:I] I feel confident tackling any aspect of Studes, knowing I can look to you all here if I get stumped. I have yet to meet the vast majority of you here in person, but I count you all as friends! I come here EVERY day so as not to miss a valuable tip, or a good discussion between fellow Stude folks. We come from that common foundation here- something I don't have anywhere else. So based on this, it just comes naturally to me to buy others I want when the opportunity presents itself. I work long and hard (just the way I like it!), and I recharge with, among things, getting my hands on Studes[8D] I bought a few this year that will not be processed for a long time- but I got them when they presented themselves.

I'm VERY excited about 2008! My business has taken a huge leap forward, and outgrown my facility. I was able to make a key purchase of an adjoining property I've been after for several years, giving me all the space I need to finally get to what I envisioned years ago. However, this will require pulling the reins in on my Studebakering some. I have put a temporary moratorium on any more purchases; my current 59 Lark project (Gertie) will continue as planned, but with the original engine; the planned Cathcart engine purchase wil

Thanks for the update, Bob. Great post [^]. Wishing you a happy and prosperous 2008...hopefully with PLENTY of time to play with Studebakers [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

Thanks for the update, Bob. Great post [^]. Wishing you a happy and prosperous 2008...hopefully with PLENTY of time to play with Studebakers [8D]

Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

[navy]
        Well Duhhhh Jeff...[:0]
        If one were to read your topic header without connecting your first line of your post, the entirely wrong connection can be made (and was in my case)[B)] Wonder who else mis-connected the connotation?
        So, having stuffed a smelly foot in my mouth I guess it could be a good time to make a New Years resolution for myself.
        I resolve to really, actually read the whole thread before replying.
        I resolve to not make resolutions.
        OK... Where's the champagne?
        Jeff[8D]

But is that that the last post you will read here?[]
        Forums are funny like that....
        People come in and spend some time, and people go.
        But rarely do they make a glorious exit announcement.
        Thank you for that, as we would have wondered where you went after a few months.
        Good luck on your future ventures, and hopefully your health will hold out.
        Jeff[8D]
        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

[navy]
          Well Duhhhh Jeff...[:0]
          If one were to read your topic header without connecting your first line of your post, the entirely wrong connection can be made (and was in my case)[B)] Wonder who else mis-connected the connotation?
          So, having stuffed a smelly foot in my mouth I guess it could be a good time to make a New Years resolution for myself.
          I resolve to really, actually read the whole thread before replying.
          I resolve to not make resolutions.
          OK... Where's the champagne?
          Jeff[8D]

But is that that the last post you will read here?[]
          Forums are funny like that....
          People come in and spend some time, and people go.
          But rarely do they make a glorious exit announcement.
          Thank you for that, as we would have wondered where you went after a few months.
          Good luck on your future ventures, and hopefully your health will hold out.
          Jeff[8D]
          HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Considering the reflexes are still good, Bob, have you considered drag racing? I know roundy-round guys sometimes poke fun at drag racers (and vise-versa), but there are fewer opportunities for concussions in straight-line racing...and Peter Sant, Ted Harbit, Doug Tjapkes and many others have proven you can do it well past any 46 years of age!

In fact, The Pure Stock Drags team needs representation at the big Hemmings MusclePalooza event at Lebanon Valley Dragway(?) every year in New England. I'll nominate you if someone will second the motion. (Not all at once now, forum members....!)

Happy New Year to all. BP
            We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
            "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Considering the reflexes are still good, Bob, have you considered drag racing? I know roundy-round guys sometimes poke fun at drag racers (and vise-versa), but there are fewer opportunities for concussions in straight-line racing...and Peter Sant, Ted Harbit, Doug Tjapkes and many others have proven you can do it well past any 46 years of age!

In fact, The Pure Stock Drags team needs representation at the big Hemmings MusclePalooza event at Lebanon Valley Dragway(?) every year in New England. I'll nominate you if someone will second the motion. (Not all at once now, forum members....!)

Happy New Year to all. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Ayn Rand:
              "You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality."

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Wait a minute Jeff, I don't read that as good bye, just not here as often, and maybe the last for this year!! [:0]

We will welcome Bob here whenever life allows, and I count myself as lucky to have met you Bob!

We are all glad I am sure to have you, have a great New Year all!

StudeRich
                Studebakers Northwest
                Ferndale, WA
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Wait a minute Jeff, I don't read that as good bye, just not here as often, and maybe the last for this year!! [:0]

We will welcome Bob here whenever life allows, and I count myself as lucky to have met you Bob!

We are all glad I am sure to have you, have a great New Year all!

StudeRich
                  Studebakers Northwest
                  Ferndale, WA
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner

Comment

Yo Bob: Thanks for the note and I'm wishing you a great 2008. Thrilled to know that things are falling into place for you business-wise. May 2008 feed you success with each business decision you make. We're here in support.

The best news is that you've acquired space for those things that have meaning for the bams50 personna. We may have some more Lark things down here in Virginia to help fill up that space!!

Best wishes and we all look forward to your 2008 postings. God bless you and your wife.

Frank Drumheller
                    Louisa, VA
                    '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door sedan
                    '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck

Comment

Yo Bob: Thanks for the note and I'm wishing you a great 2008. Thrilled to know that things are falling into place for you business-wise. May 2008 feed you success with each business decision you make. We're here in support.

The best news is that you've acquired space for those things that have meaning for the bams50 personna. We may have some more Lark things down here in Virginia to help fill up that space!!

Best wishes and we all look forward to your 2008 postings. God bless you and your wife.

Frank Drumheller
                      Louisa, VA
                      '60 Lark Regal VI 4 door sedan
                      '48 M16-52 Studebaker/Boyer fire truck

Comment

Bob is just trying to be cute that this is his LAST POST (in 2007) . Nothing to indicate there will be any fewer in 2008.

Decimal Dude (pressed into duty with the language arts)

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Bob is just trying to be cute that this is his LAST POST (in 2007) . Nothing to indicate there will be any fewer in 2008.

Decimal Dude (pressed into duty with the language arts)

Join me in removing narcissists, trolls, self annoited "experts" and general idiots via the Ignore button.

The official SDC Forum heel nipper ���

�Middle age is when your broad mind and narrow waist begin to change places.� E. Joseph Cossman

For every mile of road, there are 2 miles of ditch. ���

"All lies matter - fight the kleptocracy"

Comment

Yah Yah Bob....
                            See ya next year!! [)]

1964 Studebaker Commander R2 clone
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                            [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                            [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                            [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                            [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                            1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                            1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                            1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Yah Yah Bob....
                              See ya next year!! [)]

1950 Studebaker 2R5 with 170 turbocharged
                              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00003.jpg?t=1171152673[/img=left]
                              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00009.jpg?t=1171153019[/img=right]
                              [img=left]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00002.jpg?t=1171153180[/img=left]
                              [img=right]http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t102/PlainBrownR2/DSC00005.jpg?t=1171153370[/img=right]
                              1963 Studebaker Daytona Hardtop with no engine or transmission
                              1950 Studebaker 2R5 w/170 six cylinder and 3spd OD
                              1955 Studebaker Commander Hardtop w/289 and 3spd OD and Megasquirt port fuel injection(among other things)

Comment

Working...
                              X