Studebaker York Swap Meet ending in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker York Swap Meet ending in 2017

The 2017 SYSM "Where Studebakers and friends have met for 44 years" will be the final meet.
    Meet will be held at York Expo Center 334 Carlisle Ave. York Pa.
    Two heated buildings will have Studebaker Parts in Old Main building, some vendor spaces remain available.
    The community craft show, always popular used book sale.raffle car displays and studebakers for sale will be in Hort Hall
    Free admission & parking , Free outdoor car corral,

Friday night at the host hotel we will have a Farewell Shindig at the Wyndham Gardens Crystal Ballroom
    Tickets for buffet meal are still available only $20.00 per person, 2 entree meets,veggies, potatoes,rolls dessert,non-alcoholic drinks
    entertainment ,and stories about Studebakers.

The Keystone Region of SDC wants to give thanks to the vendors ,Studebaker enthusiasts that made this a fun ,successful for 44 years

Contact Shirley Baker ,717-653-0886 , shirl21921@gmail.com for Community Craft show spaces
    Bob Sheaffer 717 341 3141 robertsheaffer@hotmail for parts vending
    Gaye Liddick for Friday Farewell Shindig ,Mail reservations to Gaye Liddick 120 Pleasant Valley Rd . Halifax Pa 17408 pre paid resevations until Mach 2 .Checks payable to Keystone Region Chapter
    Host Hotel is Wyndham Garden York ,717 846 9500 STUDE17 is code for $82.00 per night rate
    Many Many thanks to all for Keystone Region Members

What are the dates this year?

Comment

March 9-11
      "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -B Franklin

Comment

Those of us who have never known a life without the Keystone National Swap Meet are in for some culture shock!
        You can't imagine the efforts and energy expended over the past nearly half century, not only by those who have organized this event, but by those who have vended and by those who have made it all possible by attending from all corners of the world.
        You folks have all been incredibly awesome!
        "All attempts to 'rise above the issue' are simply an excuse to avoid it profitably." --Dick Gregory

Brad Johnson, SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
        sigpic'33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight, '53 Commander Starlight "Désirée"

Comment

Originally posted by bubbaten View Post
          The 2017 SYSM "Where Studebakers and friends have met for 44 years" will be the final meet.
          Meet will be held at York Expo Center 334 Carlisle Ave. York Pa.
          Two heated buildings will have Studebaker Parts in Old Main building, some vendor spaces remain available.
          The community craft show, always popular used book sale.raffle car displays and studebakers for sale will be in Hort Hall
          Free admission & parking , Free outdoor car corral,

Friday night at the host hotel we will have a Farewell Shindig at the Wyndham Gardens Crystal Ballroom
          Tickets for buffet meal are still available only $20.00 per person, 2 entree meets,veggies, potatoes,rolls dessert,non-alcoholic drinks
          entertainment ,and stories about Studebakers.

The Keystone Region of SDC wants to give thanks to the vendors ,Studebaker enthusiasts that made this a fun ,successful for 44 years

Contact Shirley Baker ,717-653-0886 , shirl21921@gmail.com for Community Craft show spaces
          Bob Sheaffer 717 341 3141 robertsheaffer@hotmail for parts vending
          Gaye Liddick for Friday Farewell Shindig ,Mail reservations to Gaye Liddick 120 Pleasant Valley Rd . Halifax Pa 17408 pre paid resevations until Mach 2 .Checks payable to Keystone Region Chapter
          Host Hotel is Wyndham Garden York ,717 846 9500 STUDE17 is code for $82.00 per night rate
          Many Many thanks to all for Keystone Region Members
          Our most recent Ontario Chapter newsletter said that a couple of Chapters in the York area might be interested in taking over the York meet from the current one. Any truth to that?

Comment

Such sad news to read this will be the last show. I had a great experience in 2007 (I think), when I flew in from the UK. Picked up my boxes from Studebaker Int'l and spent the next two days scouring the vendor stands, doing deals and then returning back to the UK with a haul of goodies for my '56 Golden Hawk, which later in 2008 got blown up in a firework building fire part way through its restoration... but, that's another story!

Thanks to all those that helped me 10 years ago, how time flies too.
            Richard
            sigpic

Comment

Haven't heard from any other Chapters for continuing swap meet

Comment

I think that is mostly rumor, and not factual. Several situations exist. 1. Keystone is the only chapter in the immediate area. 2. The event could not be still called the "Studebaker York Swap Meet", or associated with Keystone. 3. The costs are very substantial (up front) as the facility must be reserved and a large deposit paid in advance to the York Expo Center. 4. The event is not profitable, but rather, has been financially subsidized for a number of years. 5. The logistics and the amount of work required is beyond belief. This has been a labor of love for "Studebaker" that has been, due to ageing and changing circumstances of those few members of Keystone that actually "made it happen", and it seems to have become just too difficult and demanding. This is just my opinion, not an official statement of the opinion of the Keystone Region Chapter. It is based upon my personal understanding and participation in the planning and carrying out of the meet since my term as President in 2010 and 2011. Hopefully, some members with more potential knowledge will be able to comment further, or correct any inaccuracies that I might have expressed. Hope to see many of you at the final SYSM. I will again be the "go to" guy in Hort Hall. It's been a fun ride. Gordon

Comment

I'am afraid this is going to be what happens to a lot of Studebaker meets as the members get older and no one is there to pickup and continue what has gone on before.

Comment

I went to York once a few years ago, and it was easily the most fun I'd ever had at a Studebaker meet.

I'll see you guys there. Looking forward to the last one.

Comment

What was the driving factor in this decision? Attendance? Cost? Staffing? Just curious.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The the driving force is staffing. Many pf those who have participated as volunteers, staff members and helpers are getting older and fewer in numbers. In addition the costs of operating the Swap Meet at the York Fairgrounds continue to rise. Also vendors are also getting older as well and cutting back on travel as well as participating as vendors.
                        sigpicSee you in the future as I write about our past

Comment

Clark, Don pretty well hit it on the head. I for one am in Florida more than in the past and unable to participate. As seems to be the case with ALL organizations, churches,fraternal organizations, car clubs, etc. only about 5% do the work for the benefit of the other 95%. Usually the people who gripe the most about things not getting done, or about the WAY they are done, are the same people who are least willing to DO anything. Kind of reminiscent of the story of the little red hen. Gordon

Comment

Originally posted by rockne10 View Post
                            Those of us who have never known a life without the Keystone National Swap Meet are in for some culture shock!
                            You can't imagine the efforts and energy expended over the past nearly half century, not only by those who have organized this event, but by those who have vended and by those who have made it all possible by attending from all corners of the world.
                            You folks have all been incredibly awesome!
                            Agree that it will be tough. I have been to every York meet, sometimes as a vendor but more often just as an attendee, and the proof is in the amount and quality of Studebaker stuff I have accumulated. We really owe a big debt of gratitude to the members of the Keystone Chapter who have reliably pulled off a miracle every year. Those of us who live close enough to attend every year have really been lucky. Good venue -- quality facilities -- great people -- plenty of hotels and restaurants -- and a ton of Studebaker parts for sale -- what more could one ask for?
                            Skip Lackie

Comment

Stephen Allen's will be vending in the area that Bob Munter has occupied for the last few years. Come see us.

Comment

Working...
                              X