Advise requested on car storage lifts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advise requested on car storage lifts

Am building a bank of 5 heated garage bays this spring. Three will be for car storage. Here is where I need help. Want to use the best 4 post lift out there in three bays to double the storage in each ....giving me 8 places for cars rather than five.

Any and all information appreciated in eliminating my learning curve.

The best out there at any price point? Or the best out there for $2,500 each?
    54 Champion coupe
    48 Champion Convert

Comment

Read this, then start shopping.

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Articles.asp?ID=147

I have a bendpak hd9st myself (narrow version), and it is pretty nice. I have looked at the backyard buddy lifts, and I think they have more steel in them than my hd9st, but at almost twice the price.

I can give you a referral to a bendpak distributor I used located in Chicagoland if you want.
      54 Champion coupe
      48 Champion Convert

Comment

Originally posted by 54stude View Post
        The best out there at any price point? Or the best out there for $2,500 each?
        I need to lean to a substantial unit. Some of my vehicles weigh 4000#. If you have a mfg. you would use given the circumstance.....money is not the primary issue here. I do not want to overspend but do not want to come out to shop and see one car on top of the other because the lift was marginal.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by 54stude View Post
        Read this, then start shopping.

http://www.bestbuyautoequipment.com/Articles.asp?ID=147

I have a bendpak hd9st myself (narrow version), and it is pretty nice. I have looked at the backyard buddy lifts, and I think they have more steel in them than my hd9st, but at almost twice the price.

I can give you a referral to a bendpak distributor I used located in Chicagoland if you want.
        Will check them out....thanks

Comment

I have rotary lifts in my shop, I don't think there are any better. 2-8000 lb assymetric a 14,000 lb symmetric and a 20,000lb 4 post.
          1 Family owned 63 Studebaker Avanti 63r-1705 White with Orange interior , R2 4 speed.
          Just purchased 63r-3623 R2 was a auto now dressed to a R3 with a4speed.

Comment

I agree "rotary" has a good reputation.
            54 Champion coupe
            48 Champion Convert

Comment

I own an Atlas 9,000 lb assymetrical lift purchased from Gregg Smith equipment - couldn't be more pleased. These are less expensive lifts of great quality -

Comment

+1 for Atlas as a quality product for a great price. Their commercial 4 post lifts are generally under $5K. You would likely be well suited for one of their entry level lifts for this application. I bet you can get one for under $3500.

Originally posted by rowan View Post
                I own an Atlas 9,000 lb assymetrical lift purchased from Gregg Smith equipment - couldn't be more pleased. These are less expensive lifts of great quality -
                "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten." -B Franklin

Comment

I have a direct lift. It is a pro park 8000. I bought it used for less than 2k. There are "heavier" lifts for sure, but it is more than adequate. I use it for maintanence also and have no worries being under it. It is well built for the money.
                  1962 Champ

51 Commander 4 door

Comment

I also have the direct lift, actually two of them. I bought them 5 years apart, one 12 years ago and one seven. Both are their tall version and will lift to 7 feet high, if I remember right they're rated for 7000lbs.
                    I have a lifted 54 Chevy station wagon on a Ford F100 chassis I need to be able to park under them occasionally, plus I use them as elevators to get heavy stuff to the second floor. The wagon is around 4500lbs an is usually stored on top of one. Another 54 Belair is on top of the other with my VW and Stude below them since I drive them more regularly.
                    I routinely work under the lifts with a cars on top as it's the only way I have room to work on my motorcycles and I use them as service lifts to work on the cars too.
                    Both were about $2100 out the door. I saved $300 each by picking them up at the distributer instead of having them shipped the 50 miles.
                    I've been quite happy with them and have never had any problems of any kind with either of them.
                    sigpic

Comment

I have two Atlas lifts from Greg Smith Equipment company, a two post and a four post. Quality is very good on both lifts. I installed them myself over a few days. The two post is used almost every day and the four post is used for storage. I paid about $1700 for the two post and $2100 for the four post. How I lived without the lifts for so long is beyond me. They are a pleasure to use and work under.
                      Attached Files
                      John
                      1963 Avanti R2
                      Marshall, VA

Comment

Are any of the lifts suitable to use as an elevator to raise a car to an upper level? I was wondering if the shifting weight as the car rolled off would be a problem?

Comment

It shouldn't be an issue for a four post lift. Not sure about the two post.
                          Perry
                          \'50 Business Champ,
                          \'50 Starlight Champ,
                          \'60 Lark Convertible,
                          \'63 GT R1,
                          \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

It might work, but they are not meant to have a load applied to the platform when fully raised. If the center of gravity of the cables hanging from the posts gets outside of the base plates touching the floor, bad things will likely happen.
                            54 Champion coupe
                            48 Champion Convert

Comment

I have a Direct-Lift four-post lift and love it. I bought it with the sliding jack which is very useful so far. I had a problem with a leaky cylinder in the jack unit and Direct-Lift expressed shipped a replacement at no cost. It is certified by the American Lift Institute and does not require fastening to the floor. It comes standard with most every feature you would,drip trays, moveable castors, etc.

Reference Quentin’s questions, I have seen four post liftswith moveable castors like mine came with used to raise and lower cars into steel storage racks.

Visitors are welcome at my place anytime.
                              Last edited by Silverplate; 01-08-2017, 12:14 PM.
                              Mike
                              Fort Worth, TX

1964 Avanti R2 #R-4986

Comment

Working...
                              X